DSL not recognizing the modem...what else is new?

Old June 6th 10, 01:39 AM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default DSL not recognizing the modem...what else is new?

On Jun 6, 3:19*am, RayLopez99 wrote:
Well, I just checked to see if the modem works. *It was working (years
ago) under Windows 2000 on this old Pentium II with limited RAM.

I configured the modem using the Damn Small Linux Control Panel, using
the standard defaults (PPP for example, etc). *I'm not an expert on
dialup modem settings--feel free to tell me what to do if you are--but
using the defaults it should have worked.

I had four choices for modem port: *ttys0 to s3, corresponding to COM1
to COM4. *The tragic part was after I configured on COM port (it's not
a good sign that under "auto recognize" the Control Panel module could
not detect a modem), the Linux OS "locked" the modem apparently, so
trying other COM ports gave the message ("Device ttys1 [COM2, the
first port I tried] is locked by pid1044]. *What is a pid? *Some
software process that locked something. *How do you kill the process?
Read the man page, I know, I know. *I guess I'd have to reboot to try
the other ports. *But to be honest, I think either the modem died
while the system was in mothballs, or DSL's control panel does not
have the right parameters--though it said "these parameters [the
default] work for Windows 95" so I assume the programmer had some
background on the typical defaults.

To be continued...I wonder if I can pick up a modem card somewhere for
cheap...I'll ask the local computer guy...since it could be the
hardware died while in storage, but that doesn't make much sense
either.

Linux is...pain-ware. *The pain, the pain! *But all the "fun" is in
the installation I hear you hobbyists say!

RL

Just thought of something: if I install an Ethernet card in the old
Pentium II, I have an old router, and I then connect the DSL modem
(which only has one port) to the router, will the DSL modem talk to
two computers? Of course, right? That's what a router does...Then I
can connect to the internet with the old pentium via Linux, right?

Let me check my hardwa any advice appreciated.

The DLS modem is a standard "speedtouch" model (French company).

The router [NOT A ROUTER--it's a switch] is actually a switch by
AsusTech found he http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...320044&Local=y
ASUS GX1005B 10/100Mbps Desktop Unmanaged Switch for Home/SOHO 5 x
RJ45 1K MAC Address Table has a power supply port and five ports.

Stupid question: why are there five ports on the back and not one is
labeled "input"? Do they all function as input/output, meaning the
speedtouch output goes into any of the five ports, then you use your
Ethernet cables from any of the remaining four ports to the two pcs?
If anybody knows off the top of their head let me know please. But
helpfully, there's a CD of the User's Manual (I would have freaked if
this switch had software drivers associated with it!) so I can also
check the User's Manual.

ITEM #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHeck this out... just found this in storage.. (I save stuff and this
was something I bought at a garage sale in the USA...even has a
sticker "US only" (for the power I guess...will have to use a
transformer on it to switch to 220 V).

This is a D-LInk labeled "Ethernet Broadband Router"! No model
number--looks commercial--and has a port labeled "WAN" and four other
ports labeled 1 to 4.

Question for you network gurus: Should I use (and I think the answer
is yes) the D-link "Ethernet Broadband Router" rather than the
AsusTech "Switch"? But the switch has a MAC table in it too, right?
But the D-link, besides being a good company, looks very wickedly
commercial and high tech...what would be the advantage of using the D-
link over the Asustech? Both have MAC and function as routers, right?

Stupid question #2: if I go with the D-Link, I just power it up, plug
the speedtouch DSL modem into the "WAN" port as input, then ethernet
cables from two of the four other ports to my two PCs' ethernet card
ports, right? Then on bootup the PCs should both recognize the DSL
modem, right? And both can independently surf the internet via the
same DLS modem right? (with a performance penalty I assume for sharing
the same bandwidth of course).

Any advice appreciated. This is very cool if I can do this...

RL

Old June 6th 10, 01:43 AM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 6, 3:39*am, RayLopez99 wrote:

Background for alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt: DSL also stands for
Damn Small Linux, but here I'm using it for broadband.

I have two PCs that I want to surf the net with: one being the Windows
XP Pentium IV, the other being a Damn Small Linux OS Pentium II.
Right now only the WIndows machine connects to broadband via a direct
connection to the speedtouch DSL modem. I found two pieces of
hardware and am asking if I can use the same modem to service both
PCs, and asking which of the two pieces of hardware--a switch and a
router--is best to do this. I also have the ethernet cables needed
and power supplies for the two pieces of hardware.

Thanks.

RL
Old June 6th 10, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Excessive crossposting. Pick one best one.

I never xpost; I'm posting this to achp-h only

RayLopez99 wrote:

Just thought of something: if I install an Ethernet card in the old
Pentium II, I have an old router, and I then connect the DSL modem
(which only has one port) to the router, will the DSL modem talk to
two computers?

Many DSL modem devices are 'gateways' - like routers, which can give out
translated addresses. In that case, you only need a switch to plug
multiple ethernets into. The DSL gateway has one ethernet but many IPs.
The switch has many ethernets to give out for the gateway device with
one port.

Of course, right? That's what a router does...Then I
can connect to the internet with the old pentium via Linux, right?

Let me check my hardwa any advice appreciated.

The DLS modem is a standard "speedtouch" model (French company).

Not 'standard' -- there are many alcatel/ thomson/ speedtouch models
including one which is a gateway with one ethernet port which can be
connected to a switch to provide more ports.

Name your speedtouch's modelno. Goodgrief.

The router [NOT A ROUTER--it's a switch] is actually a switch by
AsusTech found he http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...320044&Local=y
ASUS GX1005B 10/100Mbps Desktop Unmanaged Switch for Home/SOHO 5 x
RJ45 1K MAC Address Table has a power supply port and five ports.

That is the type of presentation you should have made for the speedtouch.

Stupid question: why are there five ports on the back and not one is
labeled "input"?

Because a 'smart switch' can figure it out. You can plug in the wan in
any port and the lan/s in any port.

This is a D-LInk labeled "Ethernet Broadband Router"! No model
number--looks commercial--and has a port labeled "WAN" and four other
ports labeled 1 to 4.

Question for you network gurus: Should I use (and I think the answer
is yes) the D-link "Ethernet Broadband Router" rather than the
AsusTech "Switch"?

That depends on your specific speedtouch which you have failed to
identify properly. Doh.

If your speedtouch is *not* a gateway type device, then you need the
router instead of the switch. If it is gateway, then you can use either
one with the speed touch.

Stupid question #2:

Before we get too deep into stupid, please distinctly identify the
speedtouch.

Any advice appreciated. This is very cool if I can do this...

--
Mike Easter
Old June 6th 10, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 6, 4:00Â*am, Mike Easter wrote:
Excessive crossposting. Â*Pick one best one.

I never xpost; Â*I'm posting this to achp-h only

If your speedtouch is *not* a gateway type device, then you need the
router instead of the switch. Â*If it is gateway, then you can use either
one with the speed touch.

But, failsafe logic: what's the harm in using the router *even if*
the speedtouch is a gateway type device? I guess you can have a
classic 'battle of the hardware controllers' if so, akin to two anti-
virus programs battling over the I/O data stream coming into a
computer's port, but I'm just guessing....anyway, I found the model
(Speedtouch 536, now renamed), see below for info.

Stupid question #2:

Before we get too deep into stupid, please distinctly identify the
speedtouch.

Below is the information I copied and pasted from online. One clue is
that the SpeedTouch (aka Technicolor) 536 model is also called below a
"Gateway", which is an old-fashioned word for router (http://
www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/gateway.html), but in this case I think they
are using it in the 'modern' fashion to simply mean a proxy server
node for the ISP to look to, that also has a built in firewall. I
think the 536 DSL modem is not therefore a true router. But, worse
case, why don't I try both solutions (first the D-Link router then the
AsusTech switch, though logically I guess I should reverse that order,
but I'm pretty sure the 536 is not a true router--it also came 'free'
from a Greek phone company, and the Greeks are notoriously cheap in
giving away free hardware--I seriously doubt they would give away an
expensive router-built-in DSL modem--they undoubtedly gave me the
cheapest DSL modem possible)?

I appreciate your help...this will be very cool if I can do this...but
it's rarely this easy with computers...we'll see.

RL

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/hom...icolor-st536v6

St536v6
Multi-User ADSL2+ Gateway
Rapid Access for All
The Technicolor ST536(i) provides unmatched peace-of-mind to
operators looking to deploy a simple and flexible ADSL gateway
without making any comprise on performance and security.
USB or Ethernet ports can be used to connect to the
gateway, offering an interface for virtually any device
-computer or game console- accessing the Internet.
It also offers a fast, full-feature routing engine as well as
a solid firewall to ensure the best end-user experience.
easy Installation
With the Technicolor ST536(i), a new standard in user-friendliness
has been set. When the installation process is started the end-user
is only five clicks away from surfing the web. After connecting PC,
laptop, or local area network to the modem over the Ethernet or
USB interface, the advanced Setup Wizard will guide the end-user
through the installation process.
The Setup Wizard is easily customizable to the look-and-feel and
the network parameters of the service provider, offering a seamless
end-user experience to their customers.
Home Networking
This gateway is the ideal solution for residential and SOHO users
where there is an urgent need to share ADSL access with other
family members or colleagues. Residential users will especially
appreciate the fact that PCs, game consoles, PDAs, set top boxes,
and other devices can instantly connect to the Internet through a
single high-speed ADSL point of access.
Security
This ADSL residential gateway has a built-in firewall that denies
unauthorized access to all PCs and Internet devices hooked up to
the user’s broadband ADSL connection. The Technicolor ST536(i)’s
powerful firewall can be configured by end-users, equipment retailers
or service providers for a broad range of security policies and
requirements.
Attacks are stopped in the gateway and will not reach the
networked devices. With the Technicolor ST536(i), you’ll be secure
24/7.
Features at a Glance
â–* â–* 1â–*Ethernetâ–*portâ–*andâ–*1â–*USBâ–*1.1â–*port
â–* â–* Easyâ–*toâ–*use,â–*easyâ–*toâ–*install
â–* â–* OSâ–*independent
â–* â–* Integratedâ–*firewall
â–* â–* TR-069â–*Remoteâ–*Management
©â–*Copyrightâ–*2010
Hardware Specifications
â–* Interfaceâ–*LAN 10/100Base-Tâ–*(RJ45)
MDI/MDI-xâ–*autosensing
1â–*Ethernetâ–*port
â–* Interfaceâ–*WAN ADSLâ–*lineâ–*(RJ11)â–*forâ–*ADSL/POTS
â–* Dimensions 30â–*xâ–*147â–*xâ–*114mmâ–*(1.18â–*xâ–*5.78â–*xâ–* 4.48â–*in.)
â–* Temperature 0°â–*toâ–*40°â–*Câ–*(32â–*â–*toâ–*105â–*F)
â–* Humidity â–*20%â–*toâ–*80%
â–* ACâ–*voltage 100â–*toâ–*120,â–*220â–*toâ–*240â–*V
â–* Frequency 50/60â–*Hz
ADSl modem Specifications
â–* ADSL ANSI,â–*ETSI,â–*Annexâ–*A,â–*B
â–* ADSL2 Annexâ–*A,â–*B,â–*L
â–* ADSL2+ Annexâ–*A,â–*B
multi-User Router
â–* ATM-Extensiveâ–*
multiâ–*PVC
ATMâ–*Qualityâ–*ofâ–*Serviceâ–*
(UBR,â–*CBR,â–*VBR-rt,â–*VBR-nrt)
DSLForumâ–*TR-37â–*autoconfiguration
â–* Bridging Selfâ–*learningâ–*bridgeâ–*atâ–*wireâ–*speed
â–* IPâ–*Routing UPnP*â–*certifiedâ–*Internetâ–*Gatewayâ–*Device,â– *enablingâ–*
majorâ–*conferencingâ–*andâ–*gamingâ–*technologies
IPSecâ–*passthroughâ–*fromâ–*multipleâ–*LANâ–*clie nts,â–*
enablingâ–*secureâ–*homeworking
Supportsâ–*PPPoE,â–*PPPoA,â–*IPoA,â–*CIP,â–*ETHoA-DNSâ–*
serverâ–*andâ–*relay,â–*DHCPâ–*serverâ–*andâ–*rela y
Networkâ–*Addressâ–*Translationâ–*forâ–*connection â–*
sharing,â–*includingâ–*supportâ–*forâ–*SIP,â–*H.32 3,â–*Realaudio,â–*
FTP,â–*IRC,â–*IKE,â–*IPSec-ESP,â–*Jabber,â–*ILS,â–*…
Simultaneousâ–*bridgingâ–*andâ–*routingâ–*ofâ–*PPP oEâ–*
connections,â–*enablingâ–*networkâ–*basedâ–*VPNs
management
â–* OSâ–*independent
â–* Easyâ–*set-upâ–*wizard
â–* Advancedâ–*Managementâ–*viaâ–*telnet,â–*HTTP,â–*ev entâ–*log
â–* Integratedâ–*firewall
â–* Easyâ–*SWâ–*upgradeâ–*wizard
â–* TR-69â–*Remoteâ–*Management
USB Drivers
â–* OSâ–*Support Windowsâ–*98,â–*98SE,â–*2000,â–*ME,â–*XPâ–*andâ–*h igher
Macâ–*OS9,â–*OSXâ–*andâ–*higher
â–* Plug-and-playâ–*installation
â–* Simpleâ–*softwareâ–*upgradeâ–*procedure
â–* USBâ–*integratedâ–*asâ–*virtualâ–*Ethernetâ–*onâ–* PC
content of the Box
â–* ADSLâ–*Gateway
â–* Ethernetâ–*cableâ–*(RJ45)
â–* Telephoneâ–*cableâ–*(RJ11)
â–* Cableâ–*filterâ–*(optional)
â–* Powerâ–*adapter
â–* Safetyâ–*leaflet
â–* CD
ST536v6â–*backâ–*panel
*â–*UPnPTMâ–*isâ–*aâ–*certificationâ–*markâ–*ofâ–* theâ–*UPnPTMâ–*Implementersâ–*Corporation
St536v6
Multi-User ADSL2+ Gateway
technical Specifications
TECHNICOLORâ–*WORLDWIDEâ–*HEADQUARTERS
1, rue Jeanne d’Arc
92443 Issy-les-Moulineaux France
Tel. : 33(0)1 41 86 50 00 - Fax : 33 (0) 1 41 86 58 59
www.technicolor.com

Old June 6th 10, 11:38 AM posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
owl

In comp.os.linux.advocacy RayLopez99 wrote:

This is a D-LInk labeled "Ethernet Broadband Router"!

Are you a grandmother? If not, then you should not be attempting this.

Old June 6th 10, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

RayLopez99 wrote:
Mike Easter

If your speedtouch is *not* a gateway type device, then you need the
router instead of the switch. If it is gateway, then you can use either
one with the speed touch.

But, failsafe logic: what's the harm in using the router *even if*
the speedtouch is a gateway type device?

I would use the switch; because it is 'made for' just this kind of job.
It will save you confusion and configurational woes and prevent
opportunities for your making mistakes. See below at the end.

(Speedtouch 536, now renamed), see below for info.

You go from too little info to too much. The modelno & link would have
been sufficient.

Below is the information I copied and pasted from online. One clue is
that the SpeedTouch (aka Technicolor) 536 model is also called below a
"Gateway",

Correct.

My understanding is that you are currently connected directly to the DSL
modem. I'll call that comp1. In addition, you have two other old
computers comp2 and comp3 which you are twiddling with.

First, we need to create a network and my first choice would be
introducing the switch; DSL modem to switch, comp1 to switch.

As stated earlier, the switch doesn't care which port the modem is
plugged into; conventionally I use the first one for the modem and the
second for the first computer.

After you are connected, Powerdown everything, powerup the modem and let
its lights settle, powerup the switch and let its lights settle, powerup
comp1.

Since you were already getting online with the DSL modem, I suspect that
the switch will just be 'transparent'. I suspect the introduction of
the switch will just 'magically' provide new ports for the other
computers to be connected to the internet the same way comp1 is.

--
Mike Easter
Old June 6th 10, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

My understanding is that you are currently connected directly to the DSL
modem. I'll call that comp1. In addition, you have two other old
computers comp2 and comp3 which you are twiddling with.

You RL have been repeatedly requested to provide additional hardware
information which is not forthcoming.

First here is what I know; there needs to be a great deal more.

Here is much better docs for the SpeedTouch than provided at Technicolor

Thomson/SpeedTouch ST536 http://snipr.com/x5mi5

Here are docs for the Asus switch:

Asus GigaX1005B http://snipr.com/x5mhm

Here is all I know about computers comp2 & comp3 and you also haven't
defined comp1 at all, incidentally.

comp1 = XP P4,
comp2 = 1998-2000 Dell Inspiron LT (laptop) P2 512meg ram, USB mouse,
optical dvd/cd, dialup modem no ethernet yet - purpose intended for
female friend, inadequate description.
comp3 = 1995 P1 or P2 'tiny amount of ram' desktop - totally
inadequate description.

When I define or describe my computers, it includes mobo mfr, cpu
type/speed, supporting chipsets, hard disks brand, type ide/sata 1or2,
size; optical drive mfr/type, floppy or not, ports ps2, serial,
ethernet, USB 1/2, graphics card or integrated, ethernet card or
integrated, modem type/chipset/controller, sound card or integrated, and
more.

We don't need all of that for these computers, but you have not provided
sufficient hardware information to work with. You have not defined
comp3's ram properly either by using some other tool or looking at the
sticks or whatever; and you have been vague on comp2's ram. Right now
you seem to be focused on comp3 instead of the Dell LT. Fine. But
let's define it accurately.

You have all of these questions, but you are failing to provide
essential information in spite of being asked.

--
Mike Easter
Old June 6th 10, 06:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

Here is all I know

comp1 = XP P4,
comp2 = 1998-2000 Dell Inspiron LT (laptop) P2 512meg ram, USB mouse,
optical dvd/cd, dialup modem no ethernet yet - purpose intended for
female friend, inadequate description.
comp3 = 1995 P1 or P2 'tiny amount of ram' desktop - totally
inadequate description.

Before proceeding further, I think we would benefit from your having at
least 3 CDs, the DSL 4.4.1, the Puppy 5.0.1, and Hiren's 10.4; and
possibly the linmodem tool scanmodem.

The purpose of the Hiren's is to help get hardware info better. You can
also get some hardware info with DSL using DSL/ System/ System stats/
bottom tabs cpu/mem/ etc including modem in PCI

Re the dialup: DSL 4.4.1's modem tool is much 'cruder' than Puppy
5.0.1's - so I would expect you to do better (to be successful with
dialup) about the dialup with puppy than with damnsmall.

If the modem is really difficult and we were going to work hard on it
because you have no ethernet card (yet) on comp2, then it might even
become necessary to use the scanmodem tool.

Damnsmall's hardware analyzer for my modem was not as good as some of
the system analyzers on Hiren's.

It would be better to use the ADSL gateway modem + the Asus switch and
do everything by ethernet instead of using any dialup at all.

Since you have already booted comp3 with damnsmall, you should provide a
report from its system stats described above about its cpu and ram and
also everything you see on the back and what kind of vid card it has.

Damnsmall's system stats also doesn't do as good a job of id/ing my vid
card as did some system tools on Hiren's but it performed just fine at
accomplishing good video during boot.

--
Mike Easter
Old June 6th 10, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Jun 6, 5:17*pm, Mike Easter wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
Mike Easter
[...]

OK, this was very good news. If this works I would be very thankful.
You are assuming the PCs will be auto-recognized by the Asus switch
which will magically or through its lookup tables make the Speedtouch
DSL modem think there's only one PC connected to it (or something like
that). But it makes sense, as that's what these smart switches are
supposed to do.

Now keep in mind I need to go buy, on Monday, an Ethernet card for the
Pentium II (the one 'with little RAM') that I have Damn Small Linux
on. So I won't have an answer until at least 12 hours from now (it's
Sunday right now--all shops closed here). The Dell laptop, BTW, has a
"Slot" Ethernet card already. Trouble is, it's not here but in the
USA. So I'll have 2 not 3 PCs connected to the Speedtouch DSL modem.

Some theory: (just to make the point even more clear in my mind): if
I were to use the D-Link router (which has 4+1 = 5 ports in the back),
I guess I could dispense with both the current Thomson Speedtouch DSL
modem and the Asus switch, correct? I'm not going to do that, since
it might create problems (I'm guessing) since the Speedtouch DSL is
made for Europe and the D-Link says (I think because of the power
supply but maybe because of some weird protocols) "For USA use only",
but I just want to confirm a point made by Pete Ives in this thread
that you can do this (I thought, when I first read Peter's post, he
was joking but I see in view of your answer perhaps he's serious).

Also I will assume that the Linux PC will magically recognize the
Speedtouch modem, without the need for a software driver. I vaguely
recall some CD-ROM came with the Speedtouch DSL modem, and the box of
the Speedtouch says on the outside of it "Designed for Windows XP",
but I don't recall installing any software for the Speedtouch (I think
the CD just had an Owners Manual on it)--it was, I believe, plug and
play. I trust (hope) the Linux machine, once I insert an Ethernet
card in it, will also 'automatically' recognize the Speedtouch modem
working through the Asus switch. Please correct me if I'm wrong,
though I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.

RL