Notebook fan manufacturers?

Old June 20th 04, 10:37 PM
kony

On 20 Jun 2004 11:44:42 -0000, lid wrote:

kony wrote:
Panasonic, Matsu****a

Thank you very much! The original fan was manufactured by
Matsu****a. It has the M-logo that I've seen before, but but
couldn't remember that it belongs to Matsu****a (I have CD drives
with internals manufactured by them, other than the Panasonic brand).

Do you have any idea whether the attempt to get them sell me one
piece is a wasted effeort?

It is extremely unlikely that they'd sell you less than several cases per
order. You could seek part numbers to do an online search, or search for
same part number you already had, or seek (or ask them) who the
distributers are in your area, and further, ask distributers who carries
those in your area or within reasonable (shipable/cost) distance.

Keep in mind that if original fan was failing, you may find a new
replacement to have original RPM still and be adquate.

Often on those types of 'sinks, the metal base is somewhat crude, there is
even more benefit to lapping the bottom of those than a desktop
heatsink... just be sure you don't get any metal dust into the fan,
masking it off with tape might help.

I do understand that there is not much of
a market for direct consumer sales of notebook parts in single items
and that's also why the distributors of various fan makers don't
carry these fans (because the NB manufacturers buy all of them and
then sell them to the users at outrageously high spare part prices).

Even with same fan body, there may be differences in the mounting
mechanism. You could also investigate how the present heatsink's fan is
mounted... some have pressed-in bearing that isn't going to be useful but
others have tiny screws, so the fan's frame (bearing and electronic
portion) can be removed from the metal base. If that is the situation
then you can reuse same base if suitable base with same mount isn't
readily available, just swapping the fan housing from the new 'sink to the
old.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/..._mini_cool.pdf

I don't know if the following is suitable for your purpose or not,
http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/prodinfo.asp?prodid=3182
Old June 21st 04, 12:54 AM
kony

On 20 Jun 2004 22:41:43 -0000, lid wrote:

This is a bit more complicated. To cut the long story short, I think
the underlying problem is in the thermistor sensing voltage
regulator circuit, that doesn't give enough voltage to the fan
(enough for the CPU in the condition it is in now, it's not exactly
brand new). And yes, the fan is anyhow dead now .

Instead of trying to adjust that without the circuit diagram and
advanced diagnostic facilities, I plan to solder a direct 5V line to
the new fan to ensure that it goes max RPM when the machine is
powered up (not Stand by or Hibernating, ofcourse). I have the pins
for this figured out and all I need is a new fan.

Sure, a fan with the standard RPM might be enough, but now that the
fan needs to be replaced, I'd rather err to the safe side and get a
more powerful unit so that I don't have to fix it again.

.... but that is exactly what you may end up needing to do, since they
lifespan of those small, thin fans is relatively short. Certainly the
fan would've died much sooner had it been the higher RPM model and
spinning at full voltage all the time. You might consider buying 2 fans
so you have a replacement ready, next time.

And I don't care if it's louder than before, I got several 34dB fans in my
desktop machine so anything up to that doesn't scare me.

I wouldn't mind the noise as much if it weren't for the increased dust
accumulation and wear.

It seems that laptop cooling solutions are often designed with less
marginal for safety than desktop ones, because of the space/power
constrains and expectation of lower utilization. With this in mind,
any aging compounded by adverse environmental conditions and high
CPU demand leads a narrower gap to thermal instability.

Yep, if it were so easy to have it all, there would be no desktops
anymore. Still it seems the venerable fan is often the weakest link, even
on the most high-end components. Even paying $600 for a video card is no
guarantee that the fan will last a year.

Often on those types of 'sinks, the metal base is somewhat crude,
there is even more benefit to lapping the bottom of those than a
desktop heatsink... just be sure you don't get any metal dust
into the fan, masking it off with tape might help.

I checked that, it's fine enough for me not to try to improve. I
also tested it by adding a layer of silicon paste and a large
passive aluminium heatsink on top of the thermal module and that
stopped the crashes (and this heatsink got really hot). The
CPU/thermal module joint is good.

If you have the room for an alternate heatsink design, that is, after it's
reassembled, you might pursue that... notebook coolers are about as poor
as it gets, at least those with the fan instead of heatpipe.

Even with same fan body, there may be differences in the mounting
mechanism. You could also investigate how the present
heatsink's fan is mounted... some have pressed-in bearing that
isn't going to be useful but others have tiny screws, so the
fan's frame (bearing and electronic portion) can be removed from
the metal base.
If that is the situation then you can reuse same
base if suitable base with same mount isn't readily available,
just swapping the fan housing from the new 'sink to the old.

The frame cover top plate is riveted to the rest of it (Adda's model has
tiny screws), but otherwise it fits your description. But I would need a
replacement fan with the exact same diameter of the fan axle tube
(the fan axle goes in the middle and the PCB with the stator coils
on top goes around this tube).

???
I'm not taking about only replacing the fan rotor/blade portion but mainly
the bearing itself. Although, if it has a sleeve bearing you might be
able to lube it, or replace the ball-bearing instead, though without any
good reference for particular fans' bearing sizes it may not be cost
effective to pursue that, typically a bearing alone costs a lot more than
a fan having two of them inside.

DGI Notebook Netzteil-Anschluss Rüdi General 0 April 17th 04 12:07 AM
Check specs in notebook (lcd....) MuffinMan General 0 April 2nd 04 08:29 PM
notebook upgrade Al General 0 January 13th 04 03:31 PM
Which notebook is best for me? Burt Johnson General 0 October 1st 03 02:40 AM
Choosing a notebook. Ugo Matrangolo General 1 September 9th 03 09:29 PM