radeon 9200 blacks parts of windows desktop after returning from games

Old September 2nd 03, 07:16 PM
doug blaisdell

Default radeon 9200 blacks parts of windows desktop after returning from games

Anyone run into this?

Parts of the windows desktop (eg. taskbar, toolbars in IE) are blacked
out and unreadable after returning from video games (eg. Age of
Empires II). I have to log off/on again to clean up the screen. I'm
running the latest display drivers from ATI, and the latest mainboard
drivers for the nForce a7n8x m/b. It's a gigabyte ATI Radeon 9200.

thanks in advance.

System:

win2k (latest updates)
a7n8x deluxe, v2
512 MB memory
Barton 2500 cpu
gigabyte Radeon 9200.
Old September 2nd 03, 07:19 PM
JAD

refresh rate set to?
monitor described properly in display properties?

Old September 3rd 03, 05:27 AM
doug blaisdell

JAD--

To answer your questions:

1) refresh rate is set to 60Hz (according to
Display-Settings-Advanced-Monitor), and it will apparently do up to
85Hz, according to the drop down list of possible settings.

2) The monitor (both in Device Manager and
Display-Settings-Advanced-Monitor is simply listed as "Plug and
Play Monitor", no other identification. And I didn't see any place I
could I could identify it more precisely (eg from a list of monitor
types). It would probably be better if I could identify it more
exactly. Do you know how to do this? (I'm a newbie in this area).

thanks,
doug

Old September 3rd 03, 06:53 AM
doug blaisdell

The monitor brand and model are now recognized by win2k (I downloading
the correct driver from Viewsonic). The refresh is now 85Hz. Still,
the problem persists...the big blackout of most of the control areas
on the desktop, the taskbar the start menu, the IE toolbars, etc.
Nasty. It seems there are some graphics widget types not repainted
after exiting a game.

Old September 3rd 03, 12:34 PM
JAD

have you run Spybot S&D? These symptome are very close to a highjacker bug. its the after the gaming thing that throws me off. There
was some mention of nforce boards having problems with ATI drivers...but I am unsure of the glitches.

Have you updated the video drivers?

Old September 8th 03, 06:51 PM
doug blaisdell

Yeah, I run Spybot regularly (a great program). It's probably
something ATI hasn't worked out yet with nForce boards. Hopefully,
they'll fix it in an updated driver. It's a pain in the ass. I'll send
them a bug report with a screen shot. Thanks for the suggestions,
anyway.

Old September 8th 03, 08:52 PM
Nick M V Salmon

Have you tried simply right clicking the desktop & selecting 'refresh'..?
That forces a redraw of almost everything on the desktop although not the
taskbar AFAIK...

One other thing - I've found much the same thing happening when running the
NVidia NForce2 IDE driver - it usually cleared itself after a few seconds
but I rolled back to the M$ driver that came with WinXP and it stopped doing
it - the M$ driver keeps getting overwritten by the NVidia driver though - I
dunno how to get rid of that...

"doug blaisdell" wrote in message
om...
Yeah, I run Spybot regularly (a great program). It's probably
something ATI hasn't worked out yet with nForce boards. Hopefully,
they'll fix it in an updated driver. It's a pain in the ass. I'll send
them a bug report with a screen shot. Thanks for the suggestions,
anyway.

hlink.net...

Old September 8th 03, 09:04 PM
Nick M V Salmon

I hit send too early there. LOL

I still see the black quickstart icon area on exiting a 3D app after
reverting to the M$ IDE driver but they only stay black a split second
instead of a couple seconds - a lot of other 'glitch' delays disappear from
WinXP too...

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...

Old September 9th 03, 05:24 PM
doug blaisdell

Thanks, Nick. I'll try the M$ 2000 driver for the board, if there is
one. I'm not sure how to get it or install it, though. Maybe just
remove the ATI driver and see what M$ does to replace it?

Thanks also for the refresh advice. Unfortunately the task bar is
corrupted, and I usually need that eventually.

Old September 10th 03, 01:46 AM
Nick M V Salmon

"doug blaisdell" wrote
Thanks, Nick.

You're welcome...

I'll try the M$ 2000 driver for the board, if there is
one. I'm not sure how to get it or install it, though.

Me either, I didn't run Win2k very long & that was some time ago...

Maybe just remove the ATI driver and see what M$
does to replace it?

Sounds reasonable...

Thanks also for the refresh advice. Unfortunately the task bar is
corrupted, and I usually need that eventually.

Does the taskbar redraw correctly if you have it on 'auto-hide'..? (Right
click the taskbar / properties / select 'auto-hide'.)

Ciao...

[UK]_Nick...

"Nick M V Salmon" wrote