Inspiron 531 serial port

Old November 23rd 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

Default Inspiron 531 serial port

Tim,
i think you're confused.
the lots we are talking about pci or pci-e
are inside the computer. you have to take the cover off.
we are not talking about slots on the back of the computer where you
plug things in... that would be way too easy.

tim fm ct wrote:
Jay, thanks for that kick in the pants to read the manual. I'd rather
have a printed manual - - - I do read those.
I don't see any small black slot, however. I found the slots on the
bottom of the back of the tower. The top and bottom are used and the two
middle ones are blank.
With so many 9 pin connecters still around from older computer
accessories, I wish Dell had provided a serial port for that.
I wanted to use a USB to RS232 adapter but I can not find one. Even
Belkin site did not have any. That why I started looking for other
options. Problem is, I'm using all four of the USB ports in the back of
the tower. I do have one in the front that I use for photo flash drives.
Can I "split" one of the USB ports in the back of the tower? If so I
wouldn't mind using a USB to RS232 adapter - - - If I can find one.
Thanks Jay, I'm usually better at this stuff but going to vista is
really throwing me off and then dealing with a new computer ugh!!
Tim fm CT

"Jay B" wrote in message
start with the owners manual here.
you should read it and get familiar with your computer.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/OM/index.htm

the pci-e 1x is the small black slot in your computer.

tim fm ct wrote:
Jay B,
Thanks for your rapid reply. I am not familiar with what
I'm doing.
What is a pci-e 1x slot in my box?
Is there a beginner Dell site? VBG
Tim fm CT

"Jay B" wrote in message
i would add a serial pci-express card.
your chance of getting it recognized by vista is much greater,
and you'd get something that could use that otherwise useless pci-e
1x slot in your box.
shouldn't be too hard to find on line.
i ran in to a bunch of them the other day while looking for sata
controllers.

check out startech.com
http://www.startech.com/Product/Item...&WCID=213&c=US

call them if you have to find the right one for vista.
once you find the right model, then search on google/ebay, etc

havnt come across any readily available for vista
but i'm sure you are not the first person to come into this problem,
and you won't be the last.

tim fm ct wrote:
Hi,
I've recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 531 and I like it.
However, it uses MS vista and it doesn't have serial ports. I use
X10 Activehome to control lights in our home and the computer
interface uses a 9 pin connector. The USB to RS232 adapter cable, I
purchased, will not work because Vista can not find a driver for
it. I contacted Bilkin, and they do not have 9 pin adapter cable
right now.
I called Dell to see about adding a serial port. I'm sad to say the
support was not so good.
All they had was an adapter for $75 that would take up one of the
USB ports. I've found serial ports on Dell site for less than $40.
Problem is, I don't know if they will be appropriate for the 531
and I really don't want to deal with the Dell support system.
Can anyone advise me about this?
Thanks in advance,
Tim fm CT

Old November 23rd 07, 06:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

and as far as spliting one of the usb ports,
yes... you need to get a usb hub... that will split into any number of
ports. make sure it is powered.

Old November 23rd 07, 07:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Nov 21, 4:56 pm, "tim fm ct" wrote:
[...]

Have you asked X10 about this? Their site is..... spammy, but it looks
real, and they do also host some community-support forums.

http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Old November 23rd 07, 03:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

wrote in message
[...]

paul makes a great point here... why not just get the more updated version
of the activehome adapter for the pc. the new one are usb based instead of
serial based. there is also a new version of the pc software which suggests
to me that your old software might have problems with vista... i suggest
that you talk to x10 to see if you get the new usb active home connector and
software if it is both compatible with windows and with your other old
active home devices. this would be the best solution, and would not require
you to open the case to install that card i previously suggested. good
luck.

Old November 23rd 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tim fm ct

Yes, I have. Interestingly x10.com is the glitzy, service is not a high
priority site. x10pro.com is the site where the service is. Different group
completely. Very supportive. Anyway, they mentioned the USB to RS232 adapter
cable. It is very difficult to find where I live. I'll contact Bilkin again
today.
Tim fm CT

Old November 23rd 07, 07:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tim fm ct

Christopher,
Seeing you're the 2nd person to mention x10, I think I
have info that will be helpful. Yes, there is a "new" Activehome automation
program. It's called Avtivehome Pro. However, it is not 100%Vista
compatible - - Now this is where it really gets confusing. X10.com has the
new Activhome software and it is called ActiveHome Pro. Like you said, it is
a USB program but is not 100% Vista compatible.
Please note that there is another company called X10pro.com Separate
company, separate web site IE: X10pro.com They do NOT have the ActiveHome
Pro software. They use the ActiveHome software and it does work with Vista.
They also have tech support that actually talks to customers.
If you go to the two sights, you will see a SIGNIFICANT difference in
priorities. X10.com lots of glitz and noise. X10pro.com, no glitz or
noise- - - lot's of professional tech and product information.
Hope you find this helpful.
Tim fm CT

Old November 23rd 07, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tim fm ct

Jay B,
Yup, I think that's the way I'm going to go. Thank you. I'll
check into the powered usb hub. Thanks again.
Tim fm CT

Old November 23rd 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

it's belkin not bilkin. they used to make a usb to serial cable model
f5u409 but don't anymore.
you can still find it on buy.com or overstock.com for about $30
however, it does not explicitly state that it works with vista.
i have used tons of them, but never with vista.
so it seems a better bet to go with my original suggestion to get the pci
card to install inside of your computer to provide a nine pin serial port.
here is the cable found on belkins site.
http://www.belkin.com/support/produc...=en&pid=F5U409

. ..

Old November 27th 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tim fm ct

Hello Christopher etal,
I finally found the Belkin USB to RS232
adapter AND the correct driver for vista. I plug it into a USB port I found
right on the front of the tower.
All is well - - X10 is working..
A hardy thanks to all of you for your help..
Tim fm CT
PS man, I do not like MS Vista. Since it's the OS of the time, I'm using it.
Hopefully, it will get better.

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
it's belkin not bilkin. they used to make a usb to serial cable model
f5u409 but don't anymore.
you can still find it on buy.com or overstock.com for about $30
however, it does not explicitly state that it works with vista.
i have used tons of them, but never with vista.
so it seems a better bet to go with my original suggestion to get the pci
card to install inside of your computer to provide a nine pin serial port.
here is the cable found on belkins site.
http://www.belkin.com/support/produc...=en&pid=F5U409

. ..

Old November 29th 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
tim fm ct

Default RE" Inspiron 531 serial port

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Posted At: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:56 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Inspiron 531 serial port
Subject: Inspiron 531 serial port

[...]

I don't know what software you're using, but go to smarthome.com and
look at the Powerlinc USB controller. Solves the problem since it is
USB and is very powerful. I don't know if it is compatible with what
you're running, but it works great for me

Thank you, Tom,
I've got mine working again. BTW, I did try
smarthome homecontrol before and the programming part was difficult for my
level of "expertise".
Thanks again,
Tim fm CT

Need a serial port on a USB-only laptop Rich General 1 November 24th 05 03:44 PM
Add serial port Enzo Dell Computers 9 April 14th 05 10:43 AM
Inspiron Serial Port problem/question [email protected] Dell Computers 6 November 19th 04 11:54 PM
Serial Port To USB Adaptor Alex Hopwood General 1 August 19th 03 11:17 PM