I6000 and I9300 motherboards

Old August 20th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Default I6000 and I9300 motherboards

As regular readers know, the I6000 is dead. My daughter will inherit my
I9300 but doesn't like it -- too big.

I'm guessing, but it is a guess, that the motherboard is the same. The
keyboard is (which I always thought was a waste on the I9300 -- could
have had a larger keyboard).

Anyone worked on both?

Thanks,

Tom

Old August 20th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Aug 20, 7:06 am, "Tom Scales" wrote:
As regular readers know, the I6000 is dead. My daughter will inherit my
I9300 but doesn't like it -- too big.

I'm guessing, but it is a guess, that the motherboard is the same. The
keyboard is (which I always thought was a waste on the I9300 -- could
have had a larger keyboard).

Anyone worked on both?

Thanks,

Tom

Dell Service manuals are pretty good. Perhaps try comparing pictures.

Quick and dirty: you can try looking at the ports on the back. If they
don't line up, they're not compatible. Of course if they DO line up,
that doesn't mean that they are swappable.

I found some pictures of the motherboards:

Inspiron 6000

http://www.parts-people.com/images/products/F6402.JPG

Inspiron 9300 (all hacked to hell, ignore all the extra wires)

http://www.uoregon.edu/~jhochspe/bla...EPLACE%201.JPG

Old August 20th 07, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:00:15 -0400, "Tom Scales"

Conversation: I6000 and I9300 motherboards
Subject: I6000 and I9300 motherboards

[...]

Good suggestion, bad answer.

No way. Forgot the I9300 has a DVI port that the I6000 lacks.

My 'fixed' I6000 has already died.

I'm confused. I thought it was fixed this morning. Did it die
again?
Old August 21st 07, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

[...]

It happens. You gave it a good effort.

Old August 21st 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, August 20, 2007 5:48 PM

[...]

Yes, it did. Turns out my repair of the power connector wasn't
successful. I can sort of get it running but I'm having wireless
problems now.

Not sure it is worth it.

Old August 21st 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:54:31 -0400, "Tom Scales"

[...]

I'm sorry to hear that but I probably would be thinking like yourself.
Old August 21st 07, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

[...]

You use the miniPCI card for wireless? Or is it the PCMCIA (cardbus).

Sometimes when you pull the motherboards out, the slots and cards come
loose. No big deal, Pull the miniPCI card out and re-seat it. You can
do the same with the PCMCIA slot, though it's finickier.

Unless.... does it now have other problems?

Don't lose heart just yet. Although... it may be better to wait a few
day before going back in, to lessen the frustration factor.