(OT) Multiple hard drive wipe utilities question...

Old July 19th 07, 12:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default (OT) Multiple hard drive wipe utilities question...

.....does anyone know of a utility that will DoD (or even simple 0's
overwrite) multiple hard drives in parallell rather than sequentially
(thereby saving considerable time)?

In a perfect world, the utility would need to work with IDE/SATA/ and
SCSI.....

Yeah, asking a lot I know. Please post a link if you've seen anything like
this.

Thanks,

Stew

Old July 19th 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

Actually, there is a better way to do this that is fully DOD approved.

For the past several years, almost all IDE hard drives have had an
INTERNAL TO THE DRIVE "wipe the entire drive" command. This wipe is
EXTREMELY secure, and isn't done by the computer that the drive is
connected to, but rather by the drive itself (once the command is issued).

A professor (Gordon Hughes) at UCSD (Univ. of Calif. San Diego) has
produced a PC program (command line (DOS), I think) that will do such an
erase on a PC, it's called HDDerase and a web search should find it.
There have been a couple of articles on C|Net or Infoworld about this
feature also. The feature has been around for a surprisingly long time,
virtually all IDE and SATA drives have it, but the PC community is
surprisingly ignorant of it.

[I THINK that HDDerase has an option to issue the command to every drive
in the PC at once]

Old July 19th 07, 10:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 4:44 am, "S.Lewis" wrote:
....does anyone know of a utility that will DoD (or even simple 0's
overwrite) multiple hard drives in parallell rather than sequentially
(thereby saving considerable time)?

In a perfect world, the utility would need to work with IDE/SATA/ and
SCSI.....

Yeah, asking a lot I know. Please post a link if you've seen anything like
this.

Thanks,

Stew

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Most I've seen wiped with it at once is something like 20. (multiple
SCSI drive arrays and multiple controllers)

4 to 6 is fine with a standard PC. Optimal is around 4, 1 master per
channel (needs add'l controller)

This is used at my employer's place (a computer recycling facility)
every day, and it processes something on the order of 20-50 drives per
day. Several machines are set up with Promise controllers.

Very efficient.

Anything you've got, it will wipe. (Unless you've got a relic mfm
drive or something)

One word or caution, the current version does not wipe the HPA area,
but it's only used on small % of drives.

Old July 19th 07, 10:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 7:11 am, Barry Watzman wrote:
Actually, there is a better way to do this that is fully DOD approved.

For the past several years, almost all IDE hard drives have had an
INTERNAL TO THE DRIVE "wipe the entire drive" command. This wipe is
EXTREMELY secure, and isn't done by the computer that the drive is
connected to, but rather by the drive itself (once the command is issued).

A professor (Gordon Hughes) at UCSD (Univ. of Calif. San Diego) has
produced a PC program (command line (DOS), I think) that will do such an
erase on a PC, it's called HDDerase and a web search should find it.
There have been a couple of articles on C|Net or Infoworld about this
feature also. The feature has been around for a surprisingly long time,
virtually all IDE and SATA drives have it, but the PC community is
surprisingly ignorant of it.

Yes, most IDE/SATA drives above 15GB or so have it built in. But when
you have to do bulk wiping, especially on older drives, you never know
for sure if it's implemented. And then there is the SCSI issue.

Old July 20th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The SCSI issue seems to be the deal breaker, though some external devices
claim to be able to handle all three.

But.....$$$$$$

Old July 20th 07, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 5:38 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

HDDerase requires a commercial license for non-home use.

http://invent.ucsd.edu/technology/ca...SD2005-815.htm

DBAN is FREE. It works just fine with internal and external SCSI (yes,
and SCA, and fiber channel). USB and 1394 seem to be out. And no zip/
jaz/orb/sparq wiping. For now.

Old July 20th 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 19, 5:38 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I've got DBAN, but again I don't believe it will wipe drives in parallel,
only sequentially. I'll have another look at their readme....

Don't need it for USB or 1394, thankfully.

Old July 20th 07, 03:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Barry Watzman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Barry. I was able to reference information from the HDDerase page
(it doesn't do SCSI) to another page (and device) that does address all
three (IDE/SATA/SCSI).

Old July 20th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Jul 19, 7:35 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 19, 5:38 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

It WILL wipe in parallel. I've done it. Lots of time.

Just type 'autonuke' and watch.

Old July 20th 07, 06:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

NO program run on the computer can necessarily write to drives in
parallel, because the disk controller cannot necessarily write to drives
in parallel (for example, a master and slave drive on the same IDE
channel cannot be written to in parallel; at any given time you can only
access one drive or the other, they are both on the same controller and
even the same cable).

That's where using a command internal to the drive has an advantage; you
tell the drive to wipe itself, and while the operation may then take a
long time, everything happens within the drive. No further interaction
with the controller (the IDE or SATA or even SCSI controller) is required.

That doesn't mean that any given program using the "wipe drive" command
will necessarily support doing multiple drives in parallel, but it's at
least conceptually possible. However, doing it through the controller
may be literally impossible, unless each drive is on a totally separate
controller and is using bus mastering DMA.