Hard Drive Problems

Old May 22nd 04, 09:09 PM
VWWall

Ben Myers wrote:
Steve,

The master drive in a two-drive master-slave setup provides the controller
mechanism for the second drive. The IDE (actually I/O) chip on the motherboard
provides minimal intelligence. This is true even with the "cable select" type
of jumpering. With cable select, the cable construction determines which drive
is master and which is slave. If you hold a "cable select" type of IDE cable up
to the light, you will see that one of the wire traces is cut. The the presence
or lack of current on this wire which tells the drive to spin up as master or as
slave... Ben Myers

I think you will find the "cut", (which is not required for all cables),
is in the wire to pin 34. This is part of CBLID, which identifies
ATA/66/100 cables. The cable select is done by pin 28, (CSEL), which is
grounded at the master connector and open at the slave connection.

The drives should both be jumpered to "cable select".

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old May 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Steve Byers

Thanks for the replies.

Both drives are configured as "cable select". Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve

"Tacitus" wrote in message .. .
"Steve Byers" wrote in message
m...
I recently had to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario 7478. I
have the new hard drive working but have what I think is a strange
problem.

I have connected the new drive to the connector marked "Drive 0" from
the motherboard, but when I attach the "Drive 1" connector to my old
hard drive, or to the Zip drive that was in that slot before, the
computer does not find the new drive. The boot configuration only
lists a Drive 2 and no Drive 1. Did I connect a ribbon to the wrong
mother board spot or what?? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

Be careful of your master/slave configuration. Each IDE channel should
accomodate 2 devices, a master and a slave, on its ribbon cable. Generally
speaking, these devices (drives) have a jumper that defines the status. Your
old drive was undoubtedly a master. If you now make it a slave, you must
change its jumper accordingly. The new drive must also have a jumper that
makes it a master and allows for a slave connection.

Tac