phdisk partition

Old February 22nd 04, 06:40 AM
Paul

Default phdisk partition

I am trying to create a partition using "Phdisk.exe" on a clients Presario
1650.
The partition is crated at the end of the hard disk (as seen by Partition
Magic 2003). However, when I go into the BIOS, I'm told that the partition
doesn't exist. Note: I do not have a restore disk, nor does the client.
Suggestions please.

Thank you,

PLK

Old February 22nd 04, 02:49 PM
Paul

Phdisk creates a specific partition format. After creating a dos
partition, one must then leave a specific minimum unpartitioned portion on
the hdd for Phdisk. Partition Magic can see this non-dos partition but can
not create it. My question, however, is "Why after it's creation, does the
BIOS not recognize it and continues to state that the STD (save to disk)
partition is non-existant?

Old February 22nd 04, 06:41 PM
DEJ57

My question, however, is "Why after it's creation, does the
BIOS not recognize it and continues to state that the STD (save to disk)
partition is non-existant?

Perhaps my experience is too limited...but I've only worked with BIOS that
recognize installed drives, not individual partitions on the drives--am I
missing something?

Dale
Old February 24th 04, 06:21 AM
Paul

Upon entering the bios, a "Save to Disk or Save to File" error message comes
up if the partition isn't installed.

Old February 24th 04, 01:51 PM
DEJ57

Upon entering the bios, a "Save to Disk or Save to File" error message comes
up if the partition isn't installed.

Going to watch the responses to your issue as I don't have a clue. Always
ready to learn something--sorry I can't help.

Dale
Old February 25th 04, 01:13 AM
Quaoar

Paul wrote:
I am trying to create a partition using "Phdisk.exe" on a clients
Presario 1650.
The partition is crated at the end of the hard disk (as seen by
Partition Magic 2003). However, when I go into the BIOS, I'm told
that the partition doesn't exist. Note: I do not have a restore
disk, nor does the client. Suggestions please.

Thank you,

PLK

Contact Compaq for a recovery CD. Unless you know exactly how the
partition was typed and hidden, creating the correct partition info for
the BIOS is a shot in the dark.

Old February 25th 04, 03:47 PM
TR

"Paul" schreef in bericht
Upon entering the bios, a "Save to Disk or Save to File" error message
comes up if the partition isn't installed.

My guess: you are trying to save biossettings to a compaq-partition.
You will have to create this partition with a program which comes with the
compaq-pc, or you will have to download such a program.

Questions
1. You work with phdisk.exe, does this program come with the pc?
2. When the partition was created with phdisk.exe, was it formatted in the
proper way?

Grtz,

TR

Old February 25th 04, 07:02 PM
DEJ57

How do I use and/or get PHDISK.EXE?

PHDISK.EXE is a utility program that can create a file or hard disk partition
large enough to hold the entire state of your computer so when you "save to
disk" the system can be restored at the point where you stopped working. Only
systems that are designed with the Phoenix-based "Save to disk" option need the
partition or file created by PHDISK.EXE.

The installation instructions for PHDISK.EXE vary with the version of
PHDISK.EXE and may be provided in a separate document or in your owner's
manual. Please read these instructions carefully before using the program.

There are two options PHDISK.EXE will use to allocate the space needed to save
the computer's state when it is suspended:

Defining a separate partition (area of the disk), or
Defining a file that can be used with the existing file system
CAUTION - If you need to recreate the storage area and there is not enough
appropriate disk space available to create a partition, the installation
utility will provide a warning message. If you receive this message, you should
select the "create a file" option to avoid possible damage to the existing file
system.

We also suggest that you add 8MB to the default size of the recommended
partition to allow some room for expansion.

Because there are several versions of this product and many include
customizations by system manufacturers, Phoenix does not offer replacement
copies of PHDISK.EXE to end-users. Contact your computer's manufacturer to get
a replacement copy of the PHDISK.EXE program and the proper installation
instructions for your system.

http://www.phoenix.com/china/support...enixbios/#Q1.7