QuickRestore

Old May 30th 05, 03:53 PM
Andrew Clark

Default QuickRestore

Hello,

I was given a presario to use and I want to see if I can get XP on there
so I can use it as my everyday computer. When I try to use "quick"
restore, it gives me error xxx.xx and says I need to contact compaq
(which i WON'T do). The other option is to do a manual reinstall. I've
done this many times but never with this result. I format the drive and
install win95 (that's the only complete OS I have -- all the rest are
upgrades). On the reboot this is what I get:

While initializing device IOS:
Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

I've googled for a solution for this to no avail. I have no idea what's
causing this and I would like to figure it out rather than get rid of the
computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old May 30th 05, 08:08 PM
Tom Scales

It would help if you would tell us a little more information, such as the
model of computer, the specs, etc.

If you're trying to use the QR disk, it likely requires the D: partition
which I'd bet you chose to blow away.

If so, you have to call Compaq and order the full restore disks.

Not sure why you won't call Compaq. Is it stolen?

Tom
news:1117464797.0812c7d83a24e7611ba7e8def582dc42@t eranews...

Old May 30th 05, 08:14 PM

Andrew,
I just ran into this same problem. When booting with the restore disk
make sure the num lock light is on. When the Quick restore box shows up
and starts flashing hit the Caps lock button. When the box stops
flashing hit the num lock button. When the language screen comes up
choose your language. When you get the next screen asking to hit any
key press Ctrl+Q. The screen will then have at the top "quick restore
(Q)". Follow the rest of the normal installation instructions. The
error is caused by an incomplete restore attempt.

Old May 31st 05, 02:03 PM
Andrew Clark

"Tom Scales" wrote in
:

It would help if you would tell us a little more information, such as
the model of computer, the specs, etc.

If you're trying to use the QR disk, it likely requires the D:
partition which I'd bet you chose to blow away.

If so, you have to call Compaq and order the full restore disks.

Not sure why you won't call Compaq. Is it stolen?

Tom

No, it's not stolen. My girlfriend's aunt gave it to me because she had
no use for it. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is to
reformat and reinstall Windows.

The problem here was Windows 95's incompatability with the AMD K6. I
looked for and found a solution on Compaq's site about it.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/te...ories/DB010327
_CW01_2.html

Andrew

Old May 31st 05, 11:59 PM
Tom Scales

"Andrew Clark" wrote in message
news:1117544608.30486530fc24975a693378ee48fe96f0@t eranews...
"Tom Scales" wrote in
:

It would help if you would tell us a little more information, such as
the model of computer, the specs, etc.

If you're trying to use the QR disk, it likely requires the D:
partition which I'd bet you chose to blow away.

If so, you have to call Compaq and order the full restore disks.

Not sure why you won't call Compaq. Is it stolen?

Tom

No, it's not stolen. My girlfriend's aunt gave it to me because she had
no use for it. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is to
reformat and reinstall Windows.

The problem here was Windows 95's incompatability with the AMD K6. I
looked for and found a solution on Compaq's site about it.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/te...ories/DB010327
_CW01_2.html

Andrew

Great, glad you found the answer. Windows 95 has a similar problem on a
Pentium-4.

I am curious, though, why you wouldn't call Compaq?

Sorry about the stolen comment.

Tom

Old June 2nd 05, 01:13 PM
Andrew Clark

"Tom Scales" wrote in news:b%5ne.88762$IO.34765
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Great, glad you found the answer. Windows 95 has a similar problem on a
Pentium-4.

I am curious, though, why you wouldn't call Compaq?

Sorry about the stolen comment.

Tom

I like to do these things by myself if I can find a solution. I also make
it a policy to never call technical "help"

Andrew

Compaq QuickRestore Trick/Solution Mark Compaq Computers 0 September 21st 04 02:22 AM
Compaq QuickRestore Trick/Solution Mark Compaq Computers 0 September 21st 04 02:22 AM
QuickRestore CD Peppo Compaq Computers 3 February 18th 04 12:11 PM
Compaq Presario 5140 QuickRestore??? Marie Compaq Computers 6 February 13th 04 12:01 AM
Compaq 5000T with Quickrestore problem Robert John Compaq Computers 0 October 31st 03 01:57 AM