Trouble cloning XP with Ghost 2003

Old January 17th 05, 02:43 AM
Kevin

Default Trouble cloning XP with Ghost 2003

The boot disk for my XP system has been having a number of bad sector
problems lately, so I decided to try to clone it to a new drive. I
installed a 2nd drive, formatted it, and used Norton Ghost 2003 to do a
clone of the boot (C drive to it.

When the clone is complete, I power off, swap the cable and set the jumpers,
but get a "boot failure from previous device" error on startup (after BIOS
screen but before Windows).

I can verify that the clone worked by booting off the original drive with
the clone as a slave-- all the files seem to be there.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old January 17th 05, 03:09 AM
Peter

Did you boot XP after you have installed a 2nd drive, before using Ghost
2003 (booted from DOS/floppy)?

Old January 17th 05, 04:47 AM
Kevin

Yes, I drive was installed prior to installing ghost.

I followed the directions in Ghost's readme, and have tried using both -FDSZ
and -FDSP.

- Kevin

Old January 17th 05, 05:14 AM
Rod Speed

"Kevin" wrote in message
The boot disk for my XP system has been having a number of bad sector problems
lately, so I decided to try to clone it to a new drive. I installed a 2nd
drive, formatted it, and used Norton Ghost 2003 to do a clone of the boot (C
drive to it.

When the clone is complete, I power off, swap the cable and set the jumpers,
but get a "boot failure from previous device" error on startup (after BIOS
screen but before Windows).

I can verify that the clone worked by booting off the original drive with the
clone as a slave-- all the files seem to be there.

What might I be doing wrong?

You basically have to unplug the original drive for the first
boot after the drive has been cloned and boot off the copy.

XP will claim to have detected new hardware and ask to
be allowed to reboot. Once you have allowed that, you
can put the original drive back in the system if you want,
if you say want to use it for video capture etc.

If XP can see both the original and the copy during
the first boot after the original has been cloned, it
gets seriously confused, even if you boot off the
copy and it uses files off the original for the boot.

Old January 17th 05, 02:02 PM
Kevin

I don't give XP a chance to see the clone-- I've been powering off and
removing the original drive as soon as Ghost completes.

Old January 17th 05, 02:03 PM
Kevin

Really? I've read messages about people using Ghost to successfully clone
their aging XP drive.

How do I copy the boot sectors?

- Kevin

wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:47:39 -0500, "Kevin"
wrote:

Yes, I drive was installed prior to installing ghost.

I followed the directions in Ghost's readme, and have tried using
both -FDSZ
and -FDSP.

- Kevin

The Boot Sectors are not copied with Ghost..

Old January 17th 05, 09:45 PM
Rod Speed

Kevin wrote in message

I don't give XP a chance to see the clone-- I've been powering off and
removing the original drive as soon as Ghost completes.

Then presumably the clone isnt successful because
of the state of the original drive, partially failed.

Old January 17th 05, 11:33 PM
Kevin

But the original drive can boot. If the clone is a bitwise copy of the
original, shouldn't it be able to boot?

Old January 18th 05, 02:32 AM
Kevin

Got it working-- not exactly sure what the problem was. It was either a) I
needed to run Ghost from floppy, or b) I needed to bring up the boot menu in
BIOS and explicitly tell it to boot from the IDE drive (even though that was
the only option).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions & ideas.

- Kevin

Old January 18th 05, 04:01 AM
Rod Speed

Kevin wrote in
message ...

But the original drive can boot. If the clone is a bitwise copy of the
original, shouldn't it be able to boot?

In theory, yes. In practice the different detail on sector access may
see the sector contents not copied properly when the clone is made,
but be good enough on retrys to allow it to boot in the original.

You did say you got an error message that complained
about a boot failure before the win screens show up.

You could also try repairing the bad clone. I wouldnt
personally because you dont know what else didnt clone
properly apart from the boot stuff, and that can bit late,
but its less work that a completely clean reinstall.