Which drives are the most reliable Western Digital or Seagate ?

Old February 14th 05, 02:08 AM
Mark Hobley

Default Which drives are the most reliable Western Digital or Seagate ?

I have found that a large number of Maxtor drives are failing within 2 years
of purchase, and I am several computers down as a result of this.

http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/labor...ves/index.html

I have decided to use drives from a different manufacturer.

Which drives are the most reliable ? Western Digital or Seagate.

My drives are all IDE, and are in removable drive caddies.

The Maxtor drives run extremely hot and I suspect that this may be a
cause of the drives failing.

I am looking for replacement drives with capacities of 120Gb or more and
drives of 200Gb plus for my server machines.

I do not require fast access times and I would much prefer a reliable drive
that does not overheat to a fast access drive.

I notice that Seagate are offering 5 year warranties on some products, but
this does not appear to be reflected on the reseller websites here in the UK.

There appear to be fewer reports of Western Digital drives failing than those
of Seagate.

Is that because there are fewer Western Digital drives in the field ?

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West

Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
International: 0044 121 247 1596

Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

http://markhobley.yi.org/
Old February 15th 05, 01:17 AM
DaveW

Western Digital, in my experience, makes conservatively rated, excellent
parts quality harddrives. I prefer them over Seagates, which I have also
used.

--
DaveW

Old February 20th 05, 05:28 PM
jc

I believe Western Digital is more reliable. However the Seagate have a 5
year warrnty versus a 3 year over Western Digital. I guess the idea behind
that is they want you to buy Seagate drives and by the time 5 years rolls
around you would have upgraded to a new computer.
Just my opinion.