ATI 9.12 Install--did not install

Old December 20th 09, 07:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RoseW

Default ATI 9.12 Install--did not install

Radeon 3870 Windows 7 Professional 4 quad 8G ram - clean install.
Microsoft installed 9.11 at time of install and operating device manager
driver version displays 8.6.32.1.200

Downloaded just the 9.12 drivers to install Dec.17.
The install process appeared to be processing from what was viewed on
the monitor.
No change in the operating device manager driver version. It is still 8.6
There isn't a new date in any of the ATI driver files as compared to the
original (by chance, I have a copy because there was a necessity for the
technician to reinstall Win7 which made an old copy of the original
windows 7 install which had ATI 9.11)

removed before installing the updated version so I did not manually
remove the 9.11 on this 9.12 install occassion.

I'm not sure what step to do at this point.
a)Delete the expanded files located in C:\Ati for the recent download
b)Download again and include the Catalyst portion
or Download again just the drivers to try again.
c) Or go through the driver update routine using the operating system
drivers dialog box which I assume will be pointed at the expanded files
at the root of C:

There is an atikmag error repeatedly displaying in the event manager
with ID 52236 CPLIB and another 'display is not active' ID 43029 DAL
error when using the current 9.11 drivers. I turned off SLEEP but that
hasn't stopped the event error.
Perhaps updating the drivers has nothing to do with correcting this
atikmag error listing?

Rose
Old December 20th 09, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cronos

RoseW wrote:

There is an atikmag error repeatedly displaying in the event manager
with ID 52236 CPLIB and another 'display is not active' ID 43029 DAL
error when using the current 9.11 drivers. I turned off SLEEP but that
hasn't stopped the event error.
Perhaps updating the drivers has nothing to do with correcting this
atikmag error listing?

Rose

Download Driver Sweeper from the below url and have it remove all ATI
crap then reboot PC and then install 9.12 driver with CCC from ATI.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D--...%29_d1655.html

I recommend you set Microsoft updates to ask you what to install and not
allow it to just install automatically because the drivers from ATI are
not the same as the ones Microsoft provide and as you found out can mess
up your system. I do updates manually because I know the major updates
are released the second Tuesday of every month and I like to see just
exactly what is being installed and do not install all optional updates.
Old December 20th 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RoseW

On 12/20/2009 3:03 PM, Cronos wrote:
RoseW wrote:

[...]

Your recommend is the routine I normally follow ( not installing
automatically) but the computer shop had to redo their original
installation of my machine and in that process the ATI drivers were
included with the update.
I agree with your observation of the MS extras. I had the 9.11 drivers
installed before the machine went back to the shop and all systems were
operating smoothly.
Thanks for the input.
Rose
Old December 20th 09, 10:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cronos

RoseW wrote:

Your recommend is the routine I normally follow ( not installing
automatically) but the computer shop had to redo their original
installation of my machine and in that process the ATI drivers were
included with the update.
I agree with your observation of the MS extras. I had the 9.11 drivers
installed before the machine went back to the shop and all systems were
operating smoothly.
Thanks for the input.
Rose

OK, let me know if the driver sweeper method and installation of 9.12
w/CCC fixed your issue or not.
Old December 21st 09, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
RoseW

On 12/20/2009 5:42 PM, Cronos wrote:
RoseW wrote:

Your recommend is the routine I normally follow ( not installing
automatically) but the computer shop had to redo their original
installation of my machine and in that process the ATI drivers were
included with the update.
I agree with your observation of the MS extras. I had the 9.11 drivers
installed before the machine went back to the shop and all systems
were operating smoothly.
Thanks for the input.
Rose

OK, let me know if the driver sweeper method and installation of 9.12
w/CCC fixed your issue or not.

The issues of my own toolbar(folder with shortcuts) now does not display
white for a moment before displaying the list of shortcuts in the popup
toolbar.
Adobe Lightroom Raw processor develop screen does not flicker, nor does
a black box suddenly appear where information text is located overlaying
the image.
In particular, the viewing screen doesn't shiver when applying
adjustments. Those were the little things I noticed previously.

The device manager is now listing the current driver.
The uninstall,cleanup and reinstall went along smoothly but I did keep
notes from the websites alongside to follow grin

This time the complete install required a restart which didn't happen
with just the driver only install. The install report log had the word
SUCCESS and I don't think that was there for the previous attempt.

I don't use the CCC panel but if this is what it takes to have a good
install that CCC can be there.
At the ATI games forum there are several people who have had difficulty
gettting this 9.12 installed.

Thank you for the kick-start assistance grin
Rose

Old December 21st 09, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Cronos

RoseW wrote:

Thank you for the kick-start assistance grin
Rose

No problem. I haven't installed 9.12 yet and am still on 9.11. I will
install later and see if I get any issues but I have never in the past
when I run the ATI uninstall tool first. Not driver sweeper but in the
add/remove programs feature in control panel there is a tool listed to
uninstall all ATI stuff and is from ATI, so long as that is run first
and you reboot the PC then the install will go fine. But for you there
was no such uninstaller because you never installed CCC so the driver
sweeper instead was needed.