Effective speed of Phenom X3 is faster than Phenom X4 !!

Old August 9th 09, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
reikred

Default Effective speed of Phenom X3 is faster than Phenom X4 !!

I recently upgraded my AMD Phenom X3 8650 to an X4 9600 with the same
clock speed (2.3GHz).

Imagine my surprise when the X4 turned out to be dog slow on my
workload, which fundamentally is several (~5) firefox browser with a
few hundred tabs to load up. The X4 could not even keep my DSL going
at full rate, something which the X3 never had any problem
accomplishing.

I then switched back to the X3, and everything was much faster again,
and the DSL is maxed out. I even tried booting the X4 with the
maxcpus=3 (linux, Fedora10/64b) kernel option. Still slow.

I'm dumbfounded. Is there some problem with the 2MB L3 cache being too
small for the X4 case, and causing some wild trashing of the cache
that just kills performance?
Old August 19th 09, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
reikred

I should add that X4 is 4 cores and X3 is 3 cores, in case anyone did
not realize.

The big question is whether the speed gets worse because of a Phenom
hardware
effect, or because Firefox somehow runs WORSE with 4 cores than with
one.
Right now I wonder whether the latter may be the case.

I recompiled Firefox 3.5.1. on the 4-core machine but that does not
seem to make any difference. Firefox also uses more memory
(at least temporarily) on the 4-core machine, up 2x as much easily.

Old August 19th 09, 04:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Miles Bader[_2_]

reikred writes:
I recompiled Firefox 3.5.1. on the 4-core machine but that does not
seem to make any difference. Firefox also uses more memory
(at least temporarily) on the 4-core machine, up 2x as much easily.

This all sounds very unlikely to have anything to do with the CPU...

-Miles

--
「すっごい」と呟いてる。「へんてc なもんばっかり」
「そんなにへんてこ?」
Old August 20th 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Jure Sah[_2_]

Old August 20th 09, 09:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
reikred

I agree, it is likely not the CPU per se. More likely there is
something strange about firefox that causes it to trip up in massive
fashion on 4-core cpu.

The behavior is extremely reproducible. I can switch the cpu from X3
to X4 and back to X3 and then X4 again, and the slowdown is HUGE
whenver I plug in the X4.

Old August 21st 09, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
reikred

Firefox is still single-process (but multiple threads) as of 3.5.x,
unlike Google Chrome and IE8.

There is a plan to make Firefox have one process per tab or maybe
window,
more like Google Chrome, but it has not yet been implemented.

Phenom II 940 -Charlie Gigabyte Motherboards 10 June 22nd 09 12:07 AM
I took the new AMD Phenom jahid420 Overclocking AMD Processors 0 May 13th 09 06:58 PM
Phenom II Martin Racette General 21 February 18th 09 01:45 AM
Phenom II On M2N-E or M3A? Peter van der Goes[_2_] Asus Motherboards 15 January 15th 09 11:27 PM
AMD Phenom Admiral Hawthorn Homebuilt PC's 2 July 4th 08 08:40 PM