Win XP not letting me view hidden folders.....

Old February 16th 09, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
geronimo

Default Win XP not letting me view hidden folders.....

I am the main user on my PC which I built. I need to edit a CFG
file which is in the hidden folder APPLICATIONS DATA (a folder within
Documents and settings) So I use the usual method to unhide hidden
folders, by going to TOOLS/Folder Options/View, and clicking the
radio button for "show hidden files...." I click APPLY follewed by
OK. The CFG file which must be there does not appear. If I go through
the same procedure, I find that the HIDE FILES radio button is again
selected....it didn't really change! I cannot even get APPLICATIONS
DATA to appear (I think by default it is a hidden folder), but I was
able to get around that by opening explorer and tying the path up in
the command line. I am using Avast! antivirus, always kept updated,
and it has been doing a good job. But I wonder if a virus is hiding
itself from view by not letting users unhide files?
Old February 16th 09, 08:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

geronimo wrote:

I am the main user on my PC which I built. I need to edit a CFG
file which is in the hidden folder APPLICATIONS DATA (a folder
within Documents and settings) So I use the usual method to unhide
hidden folders, by going to TOOLS/Folder Options/View, and
clicking the radio button for "show hidden files...." I click
APPLY follewed by OK. The CFG file which must be there does not
appear. If I go through the same procedure, I find that the HIDE
FILES radio button is again selected....it didn't really change!
I cannot even get APPLICATIONS DATA to appear (I think by default
it is a hidden folder), but I was able to get around that by
opening explorer and tying the path up in the command line. I am
using Avast! antivirus, always kept updated, and it has been doing
a good job. But I wonder if a virus is hiding itself from view by
not letting users unhide files?

There are huge Windows XP groups with Microsoft MVPs and stuff.

FWIW. I suspect it has to do with operator rights, like whether you
are Administrator.

--
Are you a blissfully ignorant voter? Do you buy stuff made by
faceless workers you will never meet or even chat with on the
Old February 16th 09, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , geronimo
says...

I am the main user on my PC which I built. I need to edit a CFG
file which is in the hidden folder APPLICATIONS DATA (a folder within
Documents and settings) So I use the usual method to unhide hidden
folders, by going to TOOLS/Folder Options/View, and clicking the
radio button for "show hidden files...." I click APPLY follewed by
OK. The CFG file which must be there does not appear. If I go through
the same procedure, I find that the HIDE FILES radio button is again
selected....it didn't really change! I cannot even get APPLICATIONS
DATA to appear (I think by default it is a hidden folder), but I was
able to get around that by opening explorer and tying the path up in
the command line. I am using Avast! antivirus, always kept updated,
and it has been doing a good job. But I wonder if a virus is hiding
itself from view by not letting users unhide files?

The Application Data is a private folder in each users account and
unless you are the administrator, you would need to have rights to
access the documents folder of the user account you want to modify.

On a system with even just one user account, there's two applications
data folders. Within each of those folders, there's Local, LocalLow and
Roaming and the config file could've appeared in any one of these. If
it's on Vista, it's even more complicated if the application runs in
compatibility mode (selected or not) and it gets stuck in the
VirtualStore version of Application Data.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old February 17th 09, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
geronimo

I goofed...did not state explicitly that I and all the other users on
my PC are administrators. I had one other user, also an administrator,
try this same unhide procedure, and he had the same results. Its not
just me. Well, this is MS flight simulator file, and I am told that
FSX always puts FSX.CFG under the "All" users folder. Should not ANY
adiministrator be able to change (unhide) files that are not Windows
protected files? Is there something more that has to be set to allow
full administrative rights, even if one is an administrator?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:53:00 -0000, Conor
wrote:

In article , geronimo
says...