New install of XP pro cant see NTFS partition but old install of XP pro can...

Old July 18th 05, 08:52 AM
Ian Roberts

Default New install of XP pro cant see NTFS partition but old install of XP pro can...

Hi

I installed a new XP pro to a new partition over the weekend. So I
multiboot between that and the previous installation of XP pro.

To my surprise the new XP cant see one of my existing NTFS partitions yet
this partition is absolutely fine when running the previous XP.

Running the new XP, under disk management the partition shows up as healthy
but with 100% space free (eek! it shouldnt cos its got Gb's of data on it!)
Under "My Computer" it shows up with a drive letter but has no total size
and free space details (a bit like a CD drive with no disc loaded). If I
right click and go to properties the format shows up as RAW. (Ive not seen
that before)

But when I run the previous XP the partition is fine!

Now.... during the install of the new XP I had to hide this partition (I
used Partition Magic) to keep the drive letters in the order I wanted. After
the installation I unhid it. All seemed fine until I found the problem
described above.

Within Partition Magic I ran a check for errors and it revealed ERROR 1516
"Partition improperly dismounted".

I did a google search and followed the fixes suggested - I've run and
re-run chkdsk /f several times - it doesnt report any errors yet the problem
persists.

Any ideas on a fix for this?

Thanks for your time.

Ian

Old July 18th 05, 11:52 PM
Rod Speed

Ian Roberts wrote

[...]

Most likely XP has got seriously confused
by your hiding of the original partition.

Try the alternatives in http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm
That will likely see XP come to its senses on mounted partitions.

If that doesnt work, delete the new XP install and do
it again and use the other way of achieving a multiboot
install of XP listed on the other page of that web site.

Old July 26th 05, 05:50 AM

Hi,
did u install the new part under FAT32. That might be one raison. Fat32
does'nt recognize NTFS.

Old July 28th 05, 04:25 AM
Terry Stockdale

On 25 Jul 2005 21:50:37 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi,
did u install the new part under FAT32. That might be one raison. Fat32
does'nt recognize NTFS.

That is not correct. Even XP prior to Service Pack 1 could recognize
an NTFS partition even if XP was installed on FAT32.

--
Terry
My blog: http://www.TheNextWindow.com