Gigabyte or Abit or Asus

Old March 21st 05, 12:56 PM
Colonel Blip

Default Gigabyte or Abit or Asus

Hello, All!

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

Old March 21st 05, 01:19 PM
BananaOfTheNight

Try these links:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMDA5
http://www20.tomshardware.com/mother...103/index.html
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2358
Old March 21st 05, 01:43 PM
3200+

"Colonel Blip" wrote in message
Hello, All!

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the

waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

News==----
Newsgroups

=----

I would never ever use anything by Gigabyte again. IMHO their products are
of inferior design and their technical support is so poor that it is hard to
believe they get away with it.

Jon

Old March 21st 05, 02:54 PM
Scott

"3200+" wrote in message

"Colonel Blip" wrote in message
Hello, All!

I'm interested in getting a 939 socket m/b and an Athlon64 3000+. I've
always been an Asus m/b person, but thought I would at least test the

waters
on views of the Asus vs. other m/b's. Any views on 'best' of these three
manufactures for socket 939?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail:

News==----
Newsgroups

=----

I would never ever use anything by Gigabyte again. IMHO their products
are
of inferior design and their technical support is so poor that it is hard
believe they get away with it.

Jon

If I had of known that before buying a gigabyte motherboard.....
This is a copy of the email I sent them today. By the sounds of it I may get
better support here.

"When the system has booted up and has been running smoothly for 5mins to an
hour, the system suddenly freezes. During this time I can press Ctrl-Alt-Del
to bring up the task manager but nothing is using 100% of the processor.
Most programs are using 0-10% but nothing more. I can shut down programs
from the task manager, but I cannot use them. To say this, if I am writing
to cd or dvd, it will continue to do so - But I cannot click on any menus or
'ok' or 'cancel' buttons if any happen to be on screen. This problem can
last from 30 seconds to 5mins and then I have control over my programs again
like nothing had ever happened. My virus scanner is completely up to date
(Norton antivirus) and both firewalls (Norton and Windows SP2) are up to
date and running as they should.
Another problem I have is that sometimes I cannot move files to another
folder using drag and drop yet if I cut and paste this works without a
hitch.
Can you think of any reason why this would happen.
My motherboard drivers and Bios are bang up to date."

Scott

Old March 21st 05, 03:22 PM
FG

Are you sure you have used the correct BIOS settings ?

Could it be a software problem ? Have you tried repairing
Windows, if that is the system you use ?

"Scott" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Old March 21st 05, 03:33 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:54:14 +0000, Scott wrote:

[...]

Scott: what you describe does NOT sound like a hardware problem at all. I
would suggest you either have a serious malware problem (spyware, virus
etc) or your Windows system needs repair. If it were hardware related your
system would likely never get to booting the OS, freeze completely or
reboot. I certainly wouldn't blame Gigbyte!

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.
Old March 21st 05, 03:47 PM
Zen

I had this exact same problem with my new MSI motherboard, oddly enough it
was solved
by reinstalling all of the motherboards chipset drivers. Now it works
great. It was very
frustrating when troubleshooting the problem however. Try it and see if it
helps

Zen

Old March 21st 05, 03:55 PM
Scott

"FG" wrote in message
Are you sure you have used the correct BIOS settings ?

Could it be a software problem ? Have you tried repairing
Windows, if that is the system you use ?

This only happened when I upgraded my motherboard and processor. At first I
had WinXP64 on it and thought that might be the problem. So I took that off
and installed my own Win XP Home (after a reformat) and the problem
persisted.
I have uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled again to be met by the
same problem. Could it be a power supply problem?

I have the BIOS settings changed and changed back, even using the BIOS's
Optimized settings.

Scott

Old March 21st 05, 05:25 PM
3200+

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:54:14 +0000, Scott wrote:

Scott: what you describe does NOT sound like a hardware problem at all. I
would suggest you either have a serious malware problem (spyware, virus
etc) or your Windows system needs repair. If it were hardware related your
system would likely never get to booting the OS, freeze completely or
reboot. I certainly wouldn't blame Gigbyte!

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech

Agreed, probable driver or malware problem.

Jon.

Old March 21st 05, 06:38 PM
Roy

Getting back to the question at hand, it is necessary that you decide what
your upgrades are going to be. If you are looking at the Nvidia Chipset with
a 939 pin CPU them the highest rated motherboards on the market are the MSI
and DFI brands. If you intend on staying with the Via Chipset then both the
Asus and Abit motherboards are rated very high, and will still be able to
use AGP video cards.

Be careful, because in the 939 pin selection of motherboards there are the
new SLI boards which will require an upgrade to the new PCI-Express Video
Cards which are not cheap.

I currently have the Asus A8V Deluxe Revision 2.0 with an AMD 64 3500+
Winchester CPU and I am very pleased with it. Installation was easy and I
currently have it overclocked to 2419 mhz (10% Overclock) with auto
settings. It is rock stable and I didn't have to upgrade my ATI Graphics
Card to PCI-E as previously stated.

Read the latest reviews on this matter at the following address:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128
It will help you decide which route to take.
Good luck and happy shopping!