Best photo scanner

Old December 16th 04, 09:05 PM
JB

"Ron" wrote in message
Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with your prints. I am
having fabulous luck with the new Epson 2580 (US model, about $150

I should have said, I care much more about speed (and preservation) than
quality. I'm envisioning a scanner with a tray where I could insert say 100
4 x 6 photos and scan them all one after the other. Is there anything like
this?

Old December 17th 04, 12:39 PM
CSM1

"JB" wrote in message

"Ron" wrote in message
Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with your prints. I am
having fabulous luck with the new Epson 2580 (US model, about $150

I should have said, I care much more about speed (and preservation) than
quality. I'm envisioning a scanner with a tray where I could insert say

100
4 x 6 photos and scan them all one after the other. Is there anything like
this?

Yes, there is.
It is called Automatic Document Feeder.

Some Hp, Epson and Microtek scanners have them.

HP:
http://www.hp.com/united-states/cons..._scanners.html
Click Scanners for Home and Office, then Midrange Scanners. Two scanners,
the 5550 and 5590.

Epson ADF for 2480 and 2580:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P... 04&category=

Epson ADF for 3170 and 4180:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P... 94&category=

Microtek, the 5950 is about $150.
http://www.microtekusa.com/di.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old December 17th 04, 03:38 PM
JB

"CSM1" wrote in message
.. .

Epson ADF for 2480 and 2580:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P... 04&category=

This looks like the best one. That HP is pretty old I think.

Okay, so what are some other tips for scanning photos really quick? Is there
a program that works better with this scanner than others?

The basic question is; I have four or five photo albums of 4 x 6 photos, how
do I get them into the computer as fast as possible?

Oh, and are there any photo service companies that can do this for me?

Thanks for your help,

- JB

Old December 17th 04, 03:45 PM
JB

"CSM1" wrote in message
.. .

Epson ADF for 2480 and 2580:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/P... 04&category=

Looks like the 2480 scans 4 x 6 in 35 seconds, but they don't say at whiat
DPI at:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...egory=Products

Also, scan speed is only one factor, the scanner can take 24 print photos at
a time. The Microtek doesn't say how many photos you can stack into the tray
at a time.

Microtek, the 5950 is about $150.
http://www.microtekusa.com/di.html

It looks like the scan time for this one is 18 second on 300 DPI, and 30
seconds for 600.

Old December 17th 04, 03:58 PM
JB

"JB" wrote in message

"CSM1" wrote in message
.. .

I should say, the HP 4060 looks like it might work since it has some sort of
tray for loading photos, and the scan speed is 10 seconds. Does anyone know
how this well this scanner works?

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...12-391313.html

Old December 17th 04, 08:13 PM
David Chien

Here you can find photos by many cameras and most scanners that you can
think of.
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos

same at www.imaging-resource.com - scanners

Old December 18th 04, 10:47 PM
Alan Meyer

"David Chien" wrote in message ...
Here you can find photos by many cameras and most scanners that you can think of.
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos

same at www.imaging-resource.com - scanners

Cool. Very useful sites.

Alan

Old December 18th 04, 10:55 PM
Alan Meyer

"JB" wrote in message ...

Okay, so what are some other tips for scanning photos really quick? Is there a program
that works better with this scanner than others?

The basic question is; I have four or five photo albums of 4 x 6 photos, how do I get
them into the computer as fast as possible?

Oh, and are there any photo service companies that can do this for me?

Yes there are service companies. Search Google or Froogle for
photo scanning and you'll find some. Prices are probably going to
be upward of 50 cents each photo, maybe quite a bit higher.

Here are two more ideas:

1. With a scanner that doesn't have a feeder, put two, three, or
four prints on the plate at a time - whatever fits. Some scanners
come with software that recognizes the edges automatically (don't
know how well the work), or you can just leave them that way and
only cut out individual images some time in the future when you
find you need one.

2. Get a child to do your scanning. If a 12 year old takes one
minute for each scan (could be 3 or 4 images per scan), and
you pay her 10 to 15 cents a scan, she's making $6-9 an hour.
You may have a a responsible child of your own, or a neighbor
may have one who would love the opportunity to do this. It will
cost a lot less than going to a service bureau, will allow you to
supervise the technique used, and you won't have commit
your family photos to the mail.

I wouldn't think this violates any labor laws, but I'm no expert
on that.

Alan

Old December 19th 04, 07:36 PM
Uni

JB wrote:
I want to scan a large number of print photos, which scanner would work best
for this? What tips do you have for scanning these?

Whatever you buy, don't buy one with a florescent bulb. Get one with a
RGB LED, which has far better color fidelity and lasts longer.

Uni

- JB