New Nikon Coolscan 9000ED

Old November 6th 03, 09:53 PM
jjs

"George" wrote in message
There has been a lot of downward pressure on pricing in the marketplace in
part due to the crappy economy, but also due to normal electronics

progress
in features vs. price and competitive pressure as well. [...]

Some Web-market clown is quoting $4,995 for the Nikon 8000ed. One born every
minute.

Old November 7th 03, 06:43 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

I haven't used another scanner, but the 8000 is the best single thing I've
bought photographicaly for years. I've had it about a year and have scanned
all my slides and a lot of my negatives. Digital ICE is fantastic. A pity it
does not work on Kodachromes of which I've some, or on B&W.
I've had digital cameras for some time as well, but medium format plus the
scanner is just brilliant, and even 35mm gives a vibrancy which digital
finds hard to match.

Old November 7th 03, 01:31 PM
Rafe B.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:43:16 -0000, "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee"
wrote:

I haven't used another scanner, but the 8000 is the best single thing I've
bought photographicaly for years. I've had it about a year and have scanned
all my slides and a lot of my negatives. Digital ICE is fantastic. A pity it
does not work on Kodachromes of which I've some, or on B&W.
I've had digital cameras for some time as well, but medium format plus the
scanner is just brilliant, and even 35mm gives a vibrancy which digital
finds hard to match.

I'll have to agree about the scanner, entirely. My LS-8000 is one
of the more satisfying pieces of photo gear I've owned in ages.
Of course, I often regret pronouncements like that...

Even so, I won't be buying another film scanner, hopefully ever.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 7th 03, 02:01 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Rafe B." wrote:
[...]

We're on the same page there. Waiting a week for film to get processed, the
time to scan, the unacceptable grain noise in any film other than ISO 100
slide films are all getting old...

I took a group shot of my aunt's high school class reunion (class of 1940):
I should have used the Sony F707. All they want is 4x5 prints, and I haven't
a clue if the shots came out, and won't until Monday. If I succeeded (who
knows if the flash worked or the DOF was adequate), I'll be able to make
lovely grain sniffable A3 prints, but no one will give a d**n.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 7th 03, 07:59 PM
JKML

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Rafe B." wrote:
[...]

Sorry David but how are you on the "same page", having started this thread
because Im wanting a replacement for my epson3200, this thread has went off
on a tangent to the benefits of digital cameras.

Isnt Rafe is talking about his satisfaction in buying a nikon 8000ED,
whereas you start talking about how you have to wait 7 days for processing
film.
Im assuming you must have used colour E6 slide film as nearly all photo labs
can do C41 in 30-60mins.

FWIW, I have stopped using all film below 400ISO, and see no quality issue
(I print in a darkroom at 11x16inch)
I find as long as you have a quality enlarging lens (schneider), and if the
grains in your picture are sharp then the picture will look great no matter
how big the grain.

Julian
(in Singapore shooting with a Rolleiflex TLR, Pentax MX and Minolta700si)

Old November 7th 03, 11:36 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Rafe B." wrote:

[...]

Rafe is extremely happy with the quality of 8000 scans (me too), and hopes
he'll never need another scanner (me too), presumably because at some point
digital will obviate the need for scanning.

having started this thread
because Im wanting a replacement for my epson3200, this thread has went

off
on a tangent to the benefits of digital cameras.

The point was that we're happy enough with the 8000ED that we find it
inconceivable that someone would come out with a scanner that would, given
that we own an 8000ED, be attractive at any price.

Isnt Rafe is talking about his satisfaction in buying a nikon 8000ED,
whereas you start talking about how you have to wait 7 days for processing
film.

Thread drift. It's a fact of life.

Im assuming you must have used colour E6 slide film as nearly all photo

labs
can do C41 in 30-60mins.

The local lab has to send out _all_ 120 film. I haven't found anywhere
(nearby or otherwise) that does 120 in an hour. (The lab they send out to
does exquisite work, so I'm not all that unhappy, except that it means that
I don't take very many pictures.)

FWIW, I have stopped using all film below 400ISO, and see no quality issue
(I print in a darkroom at 11x16inch)
I find as long as you have a quality enlarging lens (schneider), and if

the
grains in your picture are sharp then the picture will look great no

matter
how big the grain.

I don't like seeing grain on a print or in a scan.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan (Mamiya 645, Rolleiflex, and GS645S)

Old November 8th 03, 01:01 AM
Rafe B.

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 03:59:30 +0800, "JKML" wrote:

Sorry David but how are you on the "same page", having started this thread
because Im wanting a replacement for my epson3200, this thread has went off
on a tangent to the benefits of digital cameras.

Isnt Rafe is talking about his satisfaction in buying a nikon 8000ED,
whereas you start talking about how you have to wait 7 days for processing
film.
Im assuming you must have used colour E6 slide film as nearly all photo labs
can do C41 in 30-60mins.

David knows where I'm coming from.

I shoot film and digital and see myself working less and less with
film as time goes on.

I'm convinced that even now my LS-8000 is capturing 90% or more
of what's available on the film (given my gear and shooting habits)
so I'm not expecting any revolutionary advances in film scanners
that will make me want to upgrade. The LS-9000 appears to be,
at best, an incremental upgrade to the LS-8000. And at worst, the
same basic machine in a new package.

By the same token, I *am* expecting advances in digicams that will
have me wanting to upgrade within a couple of years.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old November 8th 03, 07:48 PM
Wes J

I know a lab in little old Marysville, Washington that does 120 SLIDE film
in an hour. Print film, no.
"David J. Littleboy" wrote

Old November 9th 03, 07:48 AM
Nick C

"JKML" wrote in message
Not sure if I am the first with this....

Nikon's 35mm and medium format scanner the 8000ED has finally been
replaced!

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_...3/ls9000ed.htm

also there are another 2 (35mm only) new scanners there.

Thing is im not sure what the difference is between the old and the new
models as they have not increased the scan dpi (still 4000)

Apparently Nikon doesn't think film is dead.

Nick

Old November 9th 03, 02:03 PM
Rafe B.

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:48:18 GMT, "Nick C"
wrote:

"JKML" wrote in message
Not sure if I am the first with this....

Nikon's 35mm and medium format scanner the 8000ED has finally been
replaced!

http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_...3/ls9000ed.htm

also there are another 2 (35mm only) new scanners there.

Thing is im not sure what the difference is between the old and the new
models as they have not increased the scan dpi (still 4000)

Apparently Nikon doesn't think film is dead.

And apparently they don't think it's worth a huge new
investment in R&D either. I see no interesting -- let
alone radically new -- features in these scanners,
compared to the current lot. Resolution is unchanged
from the current lot.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com