P4P800E-Deluxe: Reasonable CPU Temp Limit?

Old January 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Default P4P800E-Deluxe: Reasonable CPU Temp Limit?

I've got AsusProbe set to alarm when the CPU gets over 72 degrees C.

It's never triggered the alarm in the past, but today, when doing a high-volume
(like 1000 pictures) upload to PhanFare's photo management site, the temp climbs
until it exceeds that limit and the thing beeps until the upload is done.

Is my limit unreasonably low?

What are the consequences of overheating? Just a sys freeze-up, or some kind
of hardware damage?

Pentium 4 @3.00 GHz w/1 gig RAM.

--
PeteCresswell
Old January 1st 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

70 C is the thermal maximum LIMIT of Intel CPU's. You risk frying the CPU
at that temp.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old January 2nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
(PeteCresswell)

Per DaveW:
70 C is the thermal maximum LIMIT of Intel CPU's. You risk frying the CPU
at that temp.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like I'm running on borrowed time.

Usually runs at around 51 C... but when I do those batch uploads it climbs right
up there.

Can anybody recommend a silent-but-more-effective CPU cooler?

Dunno what I have in there now - but it's whatever came in the box with the P4.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 2nd 07, 04:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per DaveW:
70 C is the thermal maximum LIMIT of Intel CPU's. You risk frying the CPU
at that temp.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like I'm running on borrowed time.

Usually runs at around 51 C... but when I do those batch uploads it climbs right
up there.

Can anybody recommend a silent-but-more-effective CPU cooler?

Dunno what I have in there now - but it's whatever came in the box with the P4.

The CNPS9500 LED is a pretty good one. You can turn it so that the
exhaust points towards the back of your computer case. The web page
here, tells you how many millimeters clearance is needed, between the
top edge of your motherboard, and the bottom of your power supply.
The LED version can be used with a bunch of different motherboard
socket types. (Zalman has a bunch of other solutions you could use.)

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool...D_478_eng.html
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=165&code=009 (main link)

Install movie - click the S478 button.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/upload/product/CNPS9500.swf

Effective coolers are usually bigger than the socket footprint.
Which means there are always clearance issues to worry about.
You want to check whether the cooler prevents DIMMs from
being removed. Whether the cooler clears capacitors or any
Northbridge heatsinks in the area. And whether the cooler goes
past the edge of the motherboard, and bumps into the power supply.

Theta_R is 0.12 to 0.16C/W on the CNPS9500, depending on fan speed.
If the room temp is 25C, a well cooled computer case is 7C hotter
or 32C, then the CPU temp is 32C + theta_R * processor_power. A 3GHz
Prescott is 89W. With the fan set to the quiet setting, the
CPU temp would be 32 + (0.16 * 89) = 46.2C at 100% load.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL7E4

It is possible, that removing the current cooler, cleaning off
the thermal compound, and using some new compound, would bring
the operating temperature back within range. Ceramique is
boron nitride, which would be effective. There is also AS5,
which contains silver particles.

In terms of thermal protection, processors have two mechanisms.
At the end of their "rated" temperature (69.1C in the above
example from processorfinder), the processor will throttle, or
slow its clock rate, in response. That is supposed to reduce
the heat dissipation of the processor (since heat is proportional
to toggle rate). If the cooling was still not sufficient (say, the
heatsink fell off the processor), the processor is protected by
a second mechanism called THERMTRIP. It is a logic signal from
the processor to the motherboard, that says to switch off the
power supply. That is how the processor avoids destruction.

The processor temperature limit consists of two parts. There is
the temperature the silicon die itself can take. That is pretty
high. There is the temperature the processor IC packaging can
take. That is usually a lower temperature. So the processor
switches off the computer power, before it gets near either
of those limits. Back when the package was made of ceramic,
the limit might be 135C or so.

Here is another example of a large cooler - "Big Typhoon"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16835106061

Pictures of the two of them:
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/la...coolers2-b.jpg

The XP-120 and XP-90 are some other coolers. They don't come
with a fan, and the fan must be purchased separately. They may
also need a separate adapter kit for LGA775, if you ever wanted
to move the cooler to another board. Comments for the XP-90 are
here, as the XP-90 is easier to install of the two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16835109122

I like the Zalman approach, which is to use screws to fasten the heatsink.
Products like a couple of the Scythe heatsinks, use clips, and
sometimes those can be hard to fit, or can get bent. A minus for the Zalman,
is there is a tendency for their stuff to bend the motherboard, if
there is no stiffener on the board. But since the mount is screw based,
you only need to tighten the screws enough, to hold the heatsink in
place. The screws don't have to "bottom out".

I wish more manufacturers would list the theta_R for their heatsinks,
to make comparing them easier. Having to visit a bunch of review sites,
to find a review site with the necessary gear to measure theta_R, is
a PITA.

Paul
Old January 2nd 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Smith

Thermalright XP-120...da king. Big / light / quiet and VERY effective.
I have been using one on my P4 3.2 since it was built. Pick up a nice
120mm 1200rpm fan and ur set...no need to even put a fan on if your
system temps are low enough and your ambient isn't too warm. I have
actually ran mine without a fan for quite some time, but due to gaming
envirorment, I didn't want to heat stress my cpu for no reason...I
also am running that same board...FYI !

http://www.thermalright.com/product_default.htm

Per DaveW:

Old January 2nd 07, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ken

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:21:48 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I've got AsusProbe set to alarm when the CPU gets over 72 degrees C.

It's never triggered the alarm in the past, but today, when doing
a high-volume (like 1000 pictures) upload to PhanFare's photo
management site, the temp climbs until it exceeds that limit
and the thing beeps until the upload is done.

Is my limit unreasonably low?

Yes.

What are the consequences of overheating?
Just a sys freeze-up, or some kind of hardware damage?
Pentium 4 @3.00 GHz w/1 gig RAM.

In the long run you can damage something, processor,
processor socket or some capacitors around it.

I use this CPU cooler since over 2 years ago
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/m...oduct_sp94.htm
on my P4C800-E Deluxe and Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 GHz.
The fan is Papst 3412NGL 92 mm at 1330 rpm (can't hear it).
Normal CPU temp is around 44°C an never over 49°C.
(room temp around 23°C)
This is my current computer readouts
http://tekniken.se/docs/info/pc/High_Low_Log.html
Q-fan automatically increase CPU fan speed if needed.

Old January 4th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Robert Hancock

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got AsusProbe set to alarm when the CPU gets over 72 degrees C.

It's never triggered the alarm in the past, but today, when doing a high-volume
(like 1000 pictures) upload to PhanFare's photo management site, the temp climbs
until it exceeds that limit and the thing beeps until the upload is done.

Is my limit unreasonably low?

What are the consequences of overheating? Just a sys freeze-up, or some kind
of hardware damage?

Pentium 4 @3.00 GHz w/1 gig RAM.

Even with the stock CPU cooler things should not be getting that hot. I
would suspect something is wrong, like the fan not running fast enough
or the cooler not making proper contact with the CPU heat spreader.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from