Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

Old July 12th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:37:25 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:14:18 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:44:48 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:
Jethro wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:01:24 -0400, Jethro
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:29:20 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:
Jethro wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:35:00 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:
Robert Heiling wrote:

I guess that it's time for a little hacking. There are some readme notes I left
in my Windows from when I was going through this same hassle with my system and
maybe the following will work for your system. Go to Disk2 on that installation
set and locate the file UMAXUSD2.INF. Place a copy of it in your C:\Windows\inf
folder. Rename it to umax.inf and then right-click on it and choose the Install
option. Our next step will be determined by what happens then.

On second thought, re-boot first after the rename and before clicking that
Install. It may not make any difference, but no harm in booting.

I just spotted this post. I re-booted, then executed an install of
umax.inf with same non-results. I.E. the screen blinks and that's
all.

Check Device Manager!

If it didn't work that way, then there are some other things to try. The first
would be to go into Device Driver etc. and try to Update the driver.

Did that - as I have been saying it returns an error that 'there was a
problem installing the hardware'.

Failing that, you'll need to remove that thing somehow. Can't you just unplug it
and re-boot and then remove it? We need to have Windows see it as a new device
and attempt to install it now that we have the umax.inf in there.

I hasn't been letting me do that - says it needs the driver to boot
the system. If I come up in safe mode or with scanner off - the
device manager item is not there at all - so I can't deal with it that
way.

I tried removing it again, and this time it let me. When I re-booted
it recognized the need to install new hardware, but when completed
(with the error msg), I still get the flagged entry in Device Manger.

Did it simply just install or were you prompted for any input? If there were
prompts, what were they? and what was your reply?

On top of everything else now, I have lost my cable ISP again.
Happened two days ago - it came back up after several hours - their
techie said my external modem was running at peak and was about to
fail.

LOL That's quaint terminology he uses and it's always the customer's equipment
isn't it.

Don't know if that is so - but it is happening again dang it.
It turns on and starts to come up but stops half-way.

Sounds like they're having problems with the lines in your area. Have there been
storms there recently?

No My ISP is back up again. Obviously the problem id not on my end.

So I am stuck
using my dial up backup ISP (Netzero) and will have some difficulties
maintaining good ISP connection since I have to save my marriage by
not tying up the phone line.

Having said that - to answer your question.

It was the normal WXXP PnP install new hardware scenario, wherein I
point to the downloaded DISK1 (or DISK2) folders for it to find the
necessary driver(s). As before, it said it has a problem installing
the hardware. So, being able to uninstall the driver in Device
Manager had no effect.

You followed the same process as before, so got the same results as before. But
we had made a hack since then. Start over by removing it again and re-booting.
Point the wizard to C:\Windows\inf this goaround. If it wants a specific file
then give it the umax.inf that we put in there. Keep your fingers crossed.

This time it won't let me uninstall it from Device Manager, just like
before. It only let me do that that one time. Its got mind of its
own in this respect I guess. As far as pointing the wizard to the
umax,inf file is concerned, the wizard only lets me point to the
c:\windows\inf folder, not to individual files therein.

Did I miss something or haven't we tried that approach in the Update Driver
scenario?

Sure did. To no avail.

BTW, my cable ISP is alive again. Who didn't know that would happen?

It must be because you cleared your browser cache & cookies like they told you
to.LOL

I did not clear my browser cache nor did I delete any cookies nor did
they tell me to do that. How did U get that idea? Did I mis-state
something again?

Jethro
Old July 12th 06, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

this respect I guess. As far as pointing the wizard to the
umax,inf file is concerned, the wizard only lets me point to the
c:\windows\inf folder, not to individual files therein.

Did I miss something or haven't we tried that approach in the Update Driver
scenario?

Sure did. To no avail.

Then we can only hope that you find the magic trick that enabled you to delete
it last time. The test for the current hack is to get plug & play to find the
new device and then point the wizard at C:\Windows\inf where we have a proper
inf file for it - umax.inf. Have fun.

BTW, my cable ISP is alive again. Who didn't know that would happen?

It must be because you cleared your browser cache & cookies like they told you
to.LOL

I did not clear my browser cache nor did I delete any cookies nor did
they tell me to do that. How did U get that idea? Did I mis-state
something again?

Nope. Just joking about something I thought you would find familiar. My own
ISP's techs put you through that routine for any connection problems, so I
figured yours did too.

Bob
Old July 12th 06, 01:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

this respect I guess. As far as pointing the wizard to the
umax,inf file is concerned, the wizard only lets me point to the
c:\windows\inf folder, not to individual files therein.

Did I miss something or haven't we tried that approach in the Update Driver
scenario?

Sure did. To no avail.

Then we can only hope that you find the magic trick that enabled you to delete
it last time. The test for the current hack is to get plug & play to find the
new device and then point the wizard at C:\Windows\inf where we have a proper
inf file for it - umax.inf. Have fun.

You said it right. I'll have to try different things. Something made
it go that way before - but I don't know what right now.

Thanks

BTW, my cable ISP is alive again. Who didn't know that would happen?

It must be because you cleared your browser cache & cookies like they told you
to.LOL

I did not clear my browser cache nor did I delete any cookies nor did
they tell me to do that. How did U get that idea? Did I mis-state
something again?

Nope. Just joking about something I thought you would find familiar. My own
ISP's techs put you through that routine for any connection problems, so I
figured yours did too.

You got me! Great world we live in.

Bob