USB has suddenly stopped working on my Asus A7N8X-E!!!

Old February 15th 06, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default USB has suddenly stopped working on my Asus A7N8X-E!!!

My PC = AMD 3000, WIN XP Pro SP2, Asus A7N8X-E, 1 Gb DDR.

Hi all.
Up until recently my Asus MB has been working fine then all of a
sudden the USB stops working. I have tried re-installing the drivers
from the setup disc but no difference. USB 2 is also enabled in the
BIOS. I have checked in Device Manager and where there should an be
entry called USB in "Other Devices" there is nothing about USB at all.
I was thinking of un-installing USB completely in Device Manager but
there are many entries (under USB heading) and I'm not sure what to
un-install. I was hoping this would force WinXP to re-install USB
completely. Anyway I'm stuck so if anyone has any ideas I'd be very
grateful.
TIA
Old February 15th 06, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Anthropy" wrote in message
My PC = AMD 3000, WIN XP Pro SP2, Asus A7N8X-E, 1 Gb DDR.

Hi all.
Up until recently my Asus MB has been working fine then all of a
sudden the USB stops working. I have tried re-installing the drivers
from the setup disc but no difference. USB 2 is also enabled in the
BIOS. I have checked in Device Manager and where there should an be
entry called USB in "Other Devices" there is nothing about USB at all.
I was thinking of un-installing USB completely in Device Manager but
there are many entries (under USB heading) and I'm not sure what to
un-install. I was hoping this would force WinXP to re-install USB
completely. Anyway I'm stuck so if anyone has any ideas I'd be very
grateful.

Yep, remove *all* USB entries under Device Manager (ie Host
controllers and Root hubs) then re-boot. If the ports are
undamaged, XP should re-detect and re-install them (it also
re-enumerates them, which is what seems to be needed.)
Another thing to check with that board is the USB power
jumpers. By default, they are set to +5VSB and use the
+5V standby output of the PSU. As some PSU's can't supply
enough current (2A is standard, ISTR), having lots of USB
devices attached can cause problems. Unless you need power
going to USB devices (eg to power-on by USB keyboard), it's
probably best to change the jumpers to the +5V position, so
that they use the normal +5V PSU output.
HTH
--
Rob

Old February 15th 06, 12:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Anthropy" wrote in message
[...]

enough current (2A is standard, ISTR) - as each USB port
can supply 0.5A, having 6 ports could theoretically use 3A.
Unless you need power going to USB devices (eg to power-on
by USB keyboard key), it's probably best to change some or
all jumpers to the +5V position, so that they use the normal +5V
PSU output.
HTH
--
Rob

Old February 15th 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:59:10 -0000, "Rob Hemmings"
wrote:

"Anthropy" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey Rob, many thanks, that did the trick. I removed all entries in
Device Manager, scanned for hardware changes and after some grumbling
and settling down I had USB back.
Cheers, I owe you a pint.

Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
Asus a7n8x Win98 PCI driver problems. TIA JuanMa Asus Motherboards 6 September 17th 03 09:03 PM
AIW 9700 pro and ASUS A7n8x deluxe Video problem on boot Aaron Asus Motherboards 3 August 2nd 03 05:51 PM
ASUS A7N8X and Power supply selection Steve Wolfe Asus Motherboards 2 July 20th 03 11:33 PM
Help with Asus A7N8X Deluxe & Corsair XMS pc3200 C2 -S- Asus Motherboards 3 July 9th 03 06:32 AM