a7v600-x stuck in reboot loop?

Old November 26th 05, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default a7v600-x stuck in reboot loop?

i have a friends pc with an a7v600-x m/b and when it turns on it initially
goes straight to the bios screen which says the cpu speed was incorrect at
last power on and then when i save and exit the bios it loops around after
the post screen back to resetting and starting again and again. If you turn
it off either with the power button or at the wall it goes back to saying
the cpu speed was incorrect at last power on. I have checked the memory and
hdd in my machine and they work fine. I`ve also updated the bios to the
latest one successfully so not sure where the prob lies. If the cpu was
faulty surely the machine would not boot at all or would give an eror beep?
Any help appreciated.

Martin.

Old November 26th 05, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "Son Of LaL"
wrote:

i have a friends pc with an a7v600-x m/b and when it turns on it initially
goes straight to the bios screen which says the cpu speed was incorrect at
last power on and then when i save and exit the bios it loops around after
the post screen back to resetting and starting again and again. If you turn
it off either with the power button or at the wall it goes back to saying
the cpu speed was incorrect at last power on. I have checked the memory and
hdd in my machine and they work fine. I`ve also updated the bios to the
latest one successfully so not sure where the prob lies. If the cpu was
faulty surely the machine would not boot at all or would give an eror beep?
Any help appreciated.

Martin.

Did the looping start immediately after the BIOS update ?

How did you update the BIOS, if it was looping into reset ?

First thing I'd try, is the "clear CMOS" procedure. Make sure
the computer is unplugged (to prevent damage to the ORing
diode), then consult whatever procedure is listed in the
manual. If the clear doesn't seem to be taking, then removing
the battery for ten minutes, as well as using the jumper,
may be called for.

The second option would be to remove the processor, and
reseat it. But I don't really see a good reason for doing
that, because as you note, it does manage to POST and execute
part of the BIOS code. It must be running into some hardware
problem that is causing it to go crazy, and execute a RST
instruction, or _something_ like that.

If it was an overheat problem, it would probably shut off,
and not do a reset.

If it looks like you'll be removing the processor anyway,
I'd probably take the machine apart and do the "cardboard
test". If something was shorting to the bottom of the
motherboard, assembly of the motherboard on top of a thick
phonebook or the like, might change the symptoms for you.
That will give you room to work on the processor, if you
want. My personal preference is to install the CPU, and
regrease the heatsink, when the thing is sitting on a
table. Most cases are too cramped to do stuff like that
safely (you can't see if it is seated properly that way).
If the computer case has one of those rivetted cross bars,
that is used for rigidity, it might not be possible to
drop a motherboard, complete with CPU and HSF, back into
the case.

Paul
Old November 26th 05, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Son Of LaL"
wrote:

[...]

Got the bios to update using a boot disc. that worked fine. i can get to the
bios ok its just when it seems to want to access the hdd to load windows it
resets. like i say i`ve tried the hdd in my system and its ok as far as i
can test it. its like the bios isn`t allowing interaction between devices so
i`m not sure what reseating the cpu will achieve. is this a syptom of a
corrupt bios?

Old November 26th 05, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

In article , "Son Of LaL"
wrote:

Got the bios to update using a boot disc. that worked fine. i can get to the
bios ok its just when it seems to want to access the hdd to load windows it
resets. like i say i`ve tried the hdd in my system and its ok as far as i
can test it. its like the bios isn`t allowing interaction between devices so
i`m not sure what reseating the cpu will achieve. is this a syptom of a
corrupt bios?

I'm sorry. I thought you were saying that the BIOS wasn't able
to complete POST.

When you see the stuff printed on the screen, is the BIOS
able to read the particulars from the hard drive(s) ? You
know, where it displays what disks it has detected. That
would tell you it is able to get identity information
from the drive, and perhaps the interface is not dead.

If you are able to boot from a floppy, can you boot a DOS
diskette ? Can you type "C:", to change to the C drive, and
do that successfully ? If you can do that, perhaps there is
something wrong with the MBR (not that I understand what
that is, but whatever the first bit of code that comes
off the disk).

It could be there is nothing wrong with the hardware, and
it is actually the boot failing, before it even gets to
the file system. Booting DOS from a floppy, and accessing
the C drive, would tell you that at the file system level,
there is still hope.

Paul
Old November 26th 05, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:04:54 -0000, "Son Of LaL"
wrote:

Got the bios to update using a boot disc. that worked fine. i can get to the
bios ok its just when it seems to want to access the hdd to load windows it
resets. like i say i`ve tried the hdd in my system and its ok as far as i
can test it. its like the bios isn`t allowing interaction between devices so
i`m not sure what reseating the cpu will achieve. is this a syptom of a
corrupt bios?

Are you getting a BIOS screen each time now, or is it trying to boot
Windows and then restarting? If you're getting all the way to the hard
drive trying to boot Windows, then the reboot loop could very well at
this point be Windows-related.

You say, "I've tried the hdd in my system and it's OK as far as I can
test it." Does that mean booting all the way into Windows? Since your
hardware is different, my guess is no.

I haven't heard of Windows XP reboot loops, but I'd search on the
Microsoft Knowledge Base if I were you or ask in WinXP newsgroup. I
know it would happen in Win95 and Win98, e.g. see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q148919/

Have you tried hitting F8 and trying an alternate boot method? Have
you booted off your Windows CD and done a "repair Windows
installation"? These are options you could try if it's a Windows XP
problem and not hardware.

Philly
Old November 27th 05, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

wrote:

[...]

THanks guys. gives me a few things to try next. I havent tried to boot from
the hdd but i ran a read/write and a folder and surface scan to see if any
errors came up. having to swap floppy drives about too as the one in this pc
doesnt work. I don`t have a copy of xp to try as the guy who owns the pc
didnt give me one. i`m not using my copy as i`m a bit funny about that.
cheers.

Old November 27th 05, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:14:38 -0000, "Son Of LaL"
wrote:

THanks guys. gives me a few things to try next. I havent tried to boot from
the hdd but i ran a read/write and a folder and surface scan to see if any
errors came up. having to swap floppy drives about too as the one in this pc
doesnt work. I don`t have a copy of xp to try as the guy who owns the pc
didnt give me one. i`m not using my copy as i`m a bit funny about that.
cheers.

Does the hdd use any special drivers, for example., RAID or SCSI
(e.g., Promise card)?

I saw a thread in this newsgroup a couple weeks ago entitled "Changed
mobo-xp loops to bios". The problem was:

Now when I boot to the new board, I get the standard Windows screen:
"You didn't boot successfully last time. Pick how you want to boot this
time." No matter what choice I make, Normally or Safe Mode, it just causes the
computer to reboot and here I am again.

When I choose Safe Mode, it looks like it's going to boot there OK as it
runs through that list of files it loads just before going into Safe Mode,
then ---Beep--- and I'm back to re-boot.

The resolution was:

Got it.
Needed to reinstall Windows and install the raid drivers during the initial
install sequence.

Perhaps a little different from your problem, but you see the fix was
a Windows repair/Windows reinstall.

I've done Windows repairs when I've moved a boot drive from one
computer to another, and it's always worked well for me. (The
recommendation is generally to do a reinstall, not a repair at such a
time, but I didn't want to lose my current setup so I went with a
repair). So if I were you, I'd try a repair Windows installation on
your friend's computer. It's not w/o its dangers, but it's less
drastic than a reinstall.

For Repair Windows info look he

or he

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repai...s_XP-t138.html

Philly
Old November 27th 05, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I had a similar problem so I send ASUS support a e-mail(below):

Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : A7V600-X
*Product S/N : 51MM580924
Place of Purchase : Mwave.com(e-tailer)
*Date of Purchase : 2005/5/13

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : A7V600-X-UAY0Z
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1009

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : BFG Technology
*VGA Card Model : GeForce 6600GT(AGP)
*VGA Card Chipset : Nvidia
*VGA Card Driver : 77.72

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : AMD
*CPU Type : Socket A
*CPU Speed : 3000+

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : Kingston
*Memory Model : KVR400X64C3A
*Memory Capacity : 512 MB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : Quantum
HDD Model : Fireball Plus AS
HDD Capacity : 20 GB

[Add-on Card Specification]
Add-on Card Vendor : Turtle Beach
Add-on Card Type : Audio
Add-on Card Model : Santa Cruz

*Operating System : Win98SE

[Problem Description]
Computer will not boot every so often. Power comes on(fans and LED), some
hard drive activity then
nothing(no video). So I hold the power button in till computer shuts off
then restart it. I have to do this
once or twice sometimes more before the video initializes. When the video
comes on it opens to the
BIOS screen stating the CPU speed was set wrong and to check settings. The
setting is correct
on the screen so I just save the settings and exit. When I first started
having this trouble I would get a
beep code(1 Long 3 Short). I read on different websites that this was a
video problem, so I bought a
new video card(BFG GeForce 6600 GT) to replace a Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro. The
problem stopped
for the next day or so(just a coincidence I believe). I also upgraded my
power supply from an Enermax
350 watts to Enermax 470 watts because I thought this could be a problem
especially with the new
video card(6600 GT). I have checked the memory(DDR 400/512MB) with
MemTest86(7 passes)
with no errors. This problem only happens when starting the computer after
it is off for several
hours(usually over night). Everything worked fine on this computer when I
first put it together(May
2005) until about 3 weeks ago. I want it to be clear that I didn't make any
changes(new
video card/new power supply) until I started to have this problem. I would
appreciate any help on this
matter. Greg T

They answered with this reply:

No Video Signal and No POST When Powered On

If your system doesn't send a signal to the monitor when it's powered on,
there are several potential causes. Your problem could lie within the
motherboard itself, or with a component installed on the board. It could
even be caused by grounding or EMI. Please follow these steps to
troubleshoot:

GROUNDING/EMI TROUBLESHOOTING

Check that the MB is not picking up EMI (Electromagnetic Interference), or
improperly grounding against the case. Please remove the MB from the case
and set it up DIRECTLY on the cardboard box it came in or some other
non-static, non-conductive surface, like a telephone book. Install the power
supply, processor (with heat sink and fan), memory and video card. If the
motherboard has the vocal POST feature activated, plug speakers into the
onboard audio jacks. If the board doesn't have this feature, or if it's
deactivated, make sure to install a case speaker on the board.

If the system POSTs then your problem is caused by grounding. You will need
to electrically isolate the MB from the case to correct it. To do this, you
will need to use electrical tape to cover the brass stand-offs that support
the MB, and insert paper washers between the heads of the mounting screws
and the MB. The red paper washers should be included with your case
hardware, or they can be purchased at Radio Shack or a computer store.
Make sure that no stand-offs are placed in a spot where the motherboard
isn't designed to be grounded, as some cases will have different standoff
locations to accommodate different styles of motherboards. Also check that
there are no other metal objects that could contact the motherboard or any
other electrical device attached to the system, such as a metal burr, loose
screw, metal rod, or any other object that could cause a short.

POST CODE TROUBLESHOOTING

If the system still won't POST then determine which, if any, error code is
being generated. Motherboards with the vocal POST feature will "tell" you
what is wrong, i.e. "System Failed VGA TEST" or "System Failed CPU Test."
Beeps codes and their meanings can be found in your User's Manual.
Investigate any error messages (System Failed VGA Test, or one long and
three short beeps, indicates a possible bad video card, etc.) you receive in
this fashion.

If the system gives no POST error codes while refusing to boot, follow these
steps:

Remove the memory entirely and boot the system to force a POST error. The
beep code for no memory is 1 long beep, or several long beeps in an endless
loop (or you may hear "System Failed Memory Test" in a repeating loop). If
you do get an error, try a different stick of memory to see if that fixes
the problem. If it does, the original stick of memory may be bad. If it
doesn't, you may have a problem with your MB. Proceed to the Power Supply
troubleshooting procedures.

If you don't get any POST errors, remove the CPU from the board and boot it
again. If you have a MB with the vocal POST feature, you should hear "No CPU
Installed" or "No CPU Found" repeating error messages. If you hear these
messages, it's very likely that you have a bad processor. If you don't hear
these messages, you may have a problem with your MB. Proceed to the Power
Supply troubleshooting procedures.

Next, test the CPU. You want to test the CPU in a known good, working MB. If
you test on a motherboard that you know works and the CPU still does not
work, you know you have a bad CPU. If it works correctly on the second
motherboard, you know that your CPU is not the problem.

POWER SUPPLY TROUBLESHOOTING

Please check to make sure your power supply can supply enough power to your
system.

If the CPU is below 700 MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
300 Watts with +5 Volt @ 25 amps, +12 Volt @ 10 amps, and +3.3 Volt @ 14
amps.

If the CPU speed is above 700MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 12 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.

If the CPU speed is above 2000MHz, the power supply we suggest as follows:
350 Watt with +5V @ 30 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.

For Dual Intel MB, Min. P.S. should be:
350 Watt with +5V @ 35 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 22 amps.

For Dual AMD MB, Min. P.S. should be:
400 Watt with +5V @ 38 amps, +12V @ 15 amps, and +3.3V @ 20 amps.

Please note that these are only suggestions and the actual size of the power
supply may need to be larger than we suggest. Also, depending on the
configuration of your system, you may need more power than listed above.
Running multiple hard drives, CR-ROM drives or other accessories may
increase the power requirements of your system.

At this point your system should be stripped of most of its components. Try
installing a different power supply of equal or greater power to see if the
system boots. If your original power supply is under powered then one with
greater wattage should start your system. If your system still won't POST,
your problem is most likely caused by the motherboard.

If you are in the USA or Canada, please call our RMA department at
510-739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product
handy when you call. The RMA staff will assist you with repairing or
replacing your motherboard.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please
have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883
(M-F 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST).

Sincerely,

Jon V.
ASUS Technical Support

I don't know if this will help you but as far as my problem it pretty much
has disappeared without doing anything. I don't get the CPU speed message in
the BIOS at startup anymore. What happens every so often is that the
computer will not initialize the video after a little hard drive activity at
bootup(it just sits there with a blank screen/not sure if there is a
blinking cursor or not...will have to check the next time it happens). All I
do is press the reset button and the system loads. hope this helps, Greg T

Old November 27th 05, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

I forgot to say that I think this is a motherboard defect. I have seen
similar problems with this board(A7V600-X) at ASUS support forum website. I
would RMA the board but I'm afraid I'd just end up with a problem similar to
this on the new board they send me. Greg T
P.S. I don't think I'll be buying another ASUS board again.

news