paper path in Canon MX850

Old October 26th 12, 04:32 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_3_]

Default paper path in Canon MX850

myfathersson writes:

On Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:41:03 PM UTC-4, Gernot Hassenpflug
wrote:
myfathersson writes:

I think you are right, there aren't any drivers for these newer
printers on Mint for some unknown reason. There are older generic
gutenprint packages but nothing looking vaguely promising. There are
also instructions out there for downloading various files from
sourceforge to get the MX850 working under early versions of Ubuntu
but nothing seems to work in Mint, especially the newer versions.

Hi, sorry ot hear that.

There IS a report of someone getting an MX850 to work using something
called turboprint but as yet I haven't been able to find it: (It
certainly isnt in the package repository under software manager)

Turboprint is a commercial package. It seems to be quite good, but as
with the open-source drivers, it is most likely reverse-engineered and
therefore no doubt has some issues as well, probably not the same as
those of gutenprint though.

Pity. And the forums for Mint aren't much good either: It seems to be
one of those forums in which questions tend to be asked and never
answered. I am flattered by the suggestion that I can compile drivers
myself!

Well, it is not difficult, the gutenprint project has had years to
smooth the compile process over multiple platforms. Time taken is
probably less than 10 minutes, including installing dependencies.

If you like, I'll walk you through the process.

Cheers,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug

HP 5550 printer- paper path issue Larry B. Printers 1 April 1st 09 05:09 AM
Canon MX850 help with ink monitor Howard Lee Printers 3 July 15th 08 10:29 PM
Canon MX850 vs. MX7600 MH Printers 0 May 21st 08 12:50 PM
HP 970 problem with the paper path Canfree Printers 2 December 9th 05 02:51 AM
Adjusting the Paper Path Calibration on an HP DeskJet 895Cxi Ryan Cabanas Printers 1 December 3rd 03 04:20 PM