new motherboard and graphics

Old June 8th 05, 09:00 PM
Squibbly2

Default new motherboard and graphics

new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just resets
and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the problem any
ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair windows?

Old June 8th 05, 09:32 PM
John Doe

"Squibbly2" wrote:

new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up
just resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe
causing the problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard
disk or repair windows?

Lots of ideas. I get the impression you swapped the mainboard out
from under Windows. Windows XP might be good at it, Windows
Millennium maybe coped okay, but I would still reinstall Windows
when replacing my mainboard. You do have backups of any important
data?
Old June 8th 05, 09:36 PM
JAD

reset the cmos first

Old June 8th 05, 10:50 PM
Squibbly2

reset the cmos?? no way new motherboard mate no way

"JAD" wrote in message
reset the cmos first

Old June 8th 05, 11:00 PM
JAD

heheheh um your way to paranoid there bud. Are you confusing "BIOS FLASH"
for CMOS reset?

"Squibbly2" wrote in message
reset the cmos?? no way new motherboard mate no way

"JAD" wrote in message
reset the cmos first

Old June 8th 05, 11:41 PM
John Doe

You need to keep important data backed up on another physical media.

Old June 8th 05, 11:52 PM
DaveW

Whenever you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer system, you MUST
reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
have problems such as you discovered.

--
DaveW

Old June 9th 05, 04:30 AM
sbb78247

"Squibbly2" wrote in message
new motherboard and graphics, yet now windows will not start up just
resets and goes to a screen saying that new hardware maybe causing the
problem any ideas?? do i need to reformat the hard disk or repair
windows?

not quite so fast there my friend. a repair install of XP MAY and I dare
say MAY fix the problema after the repair and installing the mobo drivers.
But, in a perfect world, with all data backed up, WTF, reformat and install.
Why not do it?

But, I did take XP and move it from an intel platform to an AMD platform
with only reinstalling the mobo drivers, video, and modem. Your mileage may
vary.

P.S. - you knew this already, right john?????

--
so many jackasses, so little ammo

Old June 9th 05, 04:40 AM
Andrew K

My experience is similar to Dave's. A new mobo almost always requires a
re-install of Windows or instability occurs.

AGP Voltage problem John Overclocking 4 February 29th 04 10:51 AM
Problem with Tyan 9600PRO graphics card and ASUS P4B266 motherboard! Damo Asus Motherboards 2 December 11th 03 09:22 PM
nvidia geforce 5200 FX help! (disabling onboard graphics acceleration for Matsonic MS8308EP motherboard?) Nate General Hardware 2 December 10th 03 05:36 PM
nvidia geforce 5200 FX help! (disabling onboard graphics acceleration for Matsonic MS8308EP motherboard?) Nate General Hardware 0 December 10th 03 12:12 PM
graphics driver crashes with ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro and dual Xeon Supermicro motherboard Mike Anderson Ati Videocards 0 August 28th 03 03:02 PM