[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old January 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Paul Hopwood

Edwin Petree wrote:

Yes, it's a nuisance, but companies like Evesham are not really the
crux of the problem. In the last couple of days alone I've received
almost 700 SPAM e-mails and 300 viruses at my domain so the fact the
e-mail from Evesham is about something I'm vaguely interested in and
isn't offering me drugs, sex, ways to enhance parts of my anatomy or
attempting to trash my computers is actually something of a relief!

You'd buy something from someone who is happy to promote their company
using similar methods to those selling sex, drugs and body modifications?

Absolutely not.

I consider UCE unwelcome and worthy of little but contempt. Nor do I
wish to invest any more time and energy than that required to press
the "Delete" key. In doing so you merely increase the cost and
nuisance value.

--
iv Paul iv

Old January 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Morely Dotes

Tony Bryer wrote in news:VA.0000276e.00831f18
@delme.sda.co.uk:

Please remind me not to employ you as a consultant. When I ask
someone whether I should buy a or b I want them to recommend whatever
is best, not the one that fits in with their own biases. If on
examination both were more or less the same, then wider factors may
be relevant.

Rule #4 of The Rules of Spam is that "the natural course of a spamming
business is bankruptcy." We've seen it time and again.

Now, please explain to the class why you would prefer to buy a comptuer
from a company who will be gone when you need servcie, versus a company who
is in good standing and will probably be around for another decade or more.

You may include the results of your latest IQ test to support your
position.

--
Want SPEWS-filtered and SBL-filtered email?
http://www.spamblocked.com/index.html
Old January 29th 04, 11:05 PM
Stupid Spam

Paul Hopwood wrote:

Ok, I hate spam, but isn't the above (and this thread in general) a
bit melodramatic?

Not really.

At the end of the day it's the modern equivalent of the junk mail
which has been dropping through our letter boxes for decades. I
welcome SPAM no more than the mailings from readers digest no more but
I wouldn't call either "theft and trespass".

No, I wouldn't call mainsleaze spam theft and tresspass, as no proxy
abuse is being commited. However, it IS a waste of my time, as
mainsleaze takes longer to discard than your chickenboner variety, as it
needs to be checked before discarding.

Yes, it's a nuisance, but companies like Evesham are not really the
crux of the problem. In the last couple of days alone I've received
almost 700 SPAM e-mails and 300 viruses at my domain so the fact the
e-mail from Evesham is about something I'm vaguely interested in and
isn't offering me drugs, sex, ways to enhance parts of my anatomy or
attempting to trash my computers is actually something of a relief!

This is where we differ. OK, the UK spam laws are "harsher" (for want of
a better word), than CAN-SPAM, but what happens if "legitimate"
businesses decide to start e-mailing you about stuff you're "vaguely
interested in"? Don't forget that there is a limit to how much postal
junk mail can be sent, as there is a financial factor imposed at some
point, but what's to stop mainsleazers from sending you ten e-mails a
day about different things in their product line? At what stage does it
change from a welcome relief to a major hassle?

Ok, maybe they deserve to get their hands slapped, but I'm a busy
person. Maybe if I had sod all to do I'd go to the trouble of writing
to someone about it because surely it's worth spending 15 minutes or
more trying to stop a single source of UCE, from a legitimate UK
company, which would reduce the amount of sh*t I get in a month by
approximately 0.01%. Alternatively, for all the trouble it's worth I
could press the "Delete" key, so it's gone from sight and mind, and
get on with my life!

Tough call, eh?

You had enough time to compile a bitch list of e-mail addresses to post
to usenet:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=87trmvg9mto3j73u7tg52rqttvqiohrm6d%404 ax.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

Surely you have better things to do with your time if you're such a busy
person?

--
http://www.stupidspam.co.uk
Old January 30th 04, 02:38 AM
Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:30:39 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

And all those AOL etc CD's and the junk mail that people don't put
in the recycling bins (only 17.5% of waste in LB Richmond is
recycled and we are reputedly better than most) gets taken away at
the recipients expense - in our case ending up in landfill in
Bedfordshire (disposal cost about £20/ton IIRC). The argument that
junk snail mail is OK because it costs the recipients nothing is
fallacious.

The way I read the EU disposal laws, soon you'll be able to ring AOL and
tell them to come collect their CDs.

& etc....

Old January 30th 04, 02:41 AM
Uncle StoatWarbler

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:24:38 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Jack wrote:
A relative rang me out of the blue yesterday, asking for advice
on a computer purchase. On his picklist were a Dell and an
Evesham. The first step in the conversation was dropping Evesham...

^^^^^^^^^^

Please remind me not to employ you as a consultant. When I ask
someone whether I should buy a or b I want them to recommend whatever
is best, not the one that fits in with their own biases.

Evesham are quite likely to not exist in 6 months. That is the tendency
for established companies which spam (as opposed to spamhouses, somehow
they keep going like cockroaches).

On those grounds alone, Evesham would be dropped from consideration.

Old January 30th 04, 05:35 AM
chrisgreville

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?se...qttvqiohrm6d%4
04ax.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

Surely you have better things to do with your time if you're such a busy
person?

And enough time to comment that a vendor who is selling *very* cheap Norton
AV might have bought them from an auction or bankruptcy sale.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ho...ax.com&rnum=18

Chris Greville

Old January 30th 04, 09:07 AM
Alan

In message , Uncle
StoatWarbler writes
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:24:38 +0000, Tony Bryer wrote:

Evesham are quite likely to not exist in 6 months. That is the tendency
for established companies which spam (as opposed to spamhouses, somehow
they keep going like cockroaches).

On those grounds alone, Evesham would be dropped from consideration.

As I see it, Evesham might not be around by the end of this FY. I just
hope I get to have "my day in court" before they go under - and of
course if successful I actually get payment from them (a long running
Sale of Goods act action, not worth wasting bandwidth on here).

Feel sorry for the employees, they are only trying to do as management
wants, and that includes spamming.

--
Alan
Old January 30th 04, 09:28 AM
Edwin Petree

Paul Hopwood wrote in
:

Edwin Petree wrote:

Yes, it's a nuisance, but companies like Evesham are not really the
crux of the problem. In the last couple of days alone I've received
almost 700 SPAM e-mails and 300 viruses at my domain so the fact the
e-mail from Evesham is about something I'm vaguely interested in and
isn't offering me drugs, sex, ways to enhance parts of my anatomy or
attempting to trash my computers is actually something of a relief!

You'd buy something from someone who is happy to promote their company
using similar methods to those selling sex, drugs and body
modifications?

Absolutely not.

I consider UCE unwelcome and worthy of little but contempt. Nor do I
wish to invest any more time and energy than that required to press
the "Delete" key. In doing so you merely increase the cost and
nuisance value.

I agree, by JHD you do increase the time and nuisance value and do nothing
to stem the flow.

Remind me again, how many users do you have?
Old January 30th 04, 10:30 AM
Godwin Stewart

Next best is this: http://nomoreaolcds.com/

--
G. Stewart -- s/loopback\.// to reply -- Remember: TINLC
Notice spotted in a field:

Old January 30th 04, 11:09 AM
Tony Bryer

In article
47, Morely
Dotes wrote:
Now, please explain to the class why you would prefer to buy
a comptuer from a company who will be gone when you need
servcie, versus a company who is in good standing and will
probably be around for another decade or more.

Personally I'd be interested to know why when someone asks
whether they should buy from Evesham or Dell the advice is to go
Dell:

"Kevin Greenwood ordered a home computer from Dell last year,
but had to wait 4 and a half weeks for a delivery date. He
waited in all day for the courier but nothing ever arrived. He
made arrangements with Dell for another delivery date but again,
nothing arrived. ...

Dell have decided to save some money by relocating their call
centres from the UK to India, but it's also brought them
problems. Dylan Armbrust, Editor, Computer Active Magazine said,
'It seems that the Indian call centres aren't giving the right
information to the people who have to solve the problems here in
the UK'"

http://www0.mh.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/re...onsumer2.shtml