[UK] Evesham Technology slapped on wrist by ASA for spamming

Old January 28th 04, 11:23 AM
chrisgreville

"Edwin Petree" wrote in message
"chrisgreville" wrote in
:

I wonder how soon GXN will be back here with the usual "we didn't
know, we are strongly anti-spam ......." crap that they spouted last
time.

GXN are a member of LINX, and LINX have told parliament that there is no
such thing as a pink contract in the UK.

The LINX were "mistaken", (Read what ever you want into the emphasis).
I don't know about others, but I am seeing a slow but steady increase in UK
based spam.
The GXN rep. baldy said that Evesham were worth £30K to them. He retracted
that later in the thread, but that was certainly how it read to me.

Various people, who I trust and respect[1], have told me that the

important
thing is that the abuse stops. It isn't about dramatic gestures
(terminating Evesham's contract) but about working with Evesham to stop
them spamming.

Splorf.!
Evesham are deliberately flouting the ASA ruling, in fact they spammed after
receiving the adjudication in December, but just before it was published.
GXN stated that they were stopping them from doing it from their space,
Evesham then used a third party mailing service out of, IIRC, Network
Solutions space, and now, according to others, they are back on GXN space
again.
And you want to work with them? Just a reminder here, spammers lie.

I'd be curious to find out if there is anyone who thinks that Evesham have
not gone too far. Evesham know they have a poisoned list. Evesham and

GXN
are vigorously list-washing. Their last email, "do nothing and we'll spam
you forever" was not acceptable. Their last email *should* have been "do
nothing and we'll stop spamming you; plus see this web page for our
grovelling apology".

Evesham do not give a damn about the poisoned list, as you say they just
listwash, actively assisted by GXN. Barry has pointed out that GXN admitted
to assisting in the listwashing, and it appears that I have been as well.
Evesham have known this list is bad from the very start of their spam runs,
yet they continue to use it.

How long can Evesham continue to spam until LINX accept that they have a
pink contract with GXN, and that GXN are not white hat.

Hah! As long as they continue to pay the membership fees to LINX, there will
always be the "Nelson" [1] view of things.

As many have said on here before, Evesham is a no go area, GXN seem to be
supporting them in their quest to go out of business. I am very pleased to
assist them in their ultimate goal.

Chris Greville

[1] For the benefit of the US'an viewer, Admiral Lord Nelson was blind in
one eye.

Old January 28th 04, 11:35 AM
Barry Dorrans

chrisgreville wrote:
[1] For the benefit of the US'an viewer, Admiral Lord Nelson was
blind in one eye.

And here was me thinking you meant Nelson "Ha-Ha" Munch. Equally applies

Old January 28th 04, 11:40 AM
chrisgreville

"Barry Dorrans" wrote in message
t.net...
chrisgreville wrote:
[1] For the benefit of the US'an viewer, Admiral Lord Nelson was
blind in one eye.

And here was me thinking you meant Nelson "Ha-Ha" Munch. Equally applies

Aw shucks, I just wanted to make sure that Hollywood got their history right
:-)

Old January 28th 04, 11:47 AM
Barry Dorrans

chrisgreville wrote:
Aw shucks, I just wanted to make sure that Hollywood got their
history right :-)

There's more hope of gxn cutting off Evesham ...

Old January 28th 04, 11:53 AM
chrisgreville

chrisgreville wrote:
Aw shucks, I just wanted to make sure that Hollywood got their
history right :-)

There's more hope of gxn cutting off Evesham ...

Hey, where's the C&C on that?

Old January 28th 04, 11:59 AM
Barry Dorrans

chrisgreville wrote:
Aw shucks, I just wanted to make sure that Hollywood got their
history right :-)

There's more hope of gxn cutting off Evesham ...

Hey, where's the C&C on that?

Well Evesham will eventually not pay ...

Old January 28th 04, 12:12 PM
Bruce Stephens

"chrisgreville" writes:

[...]

Splorf.!
Evesham are deliberately flouting the ASA ruling, in fact they spammed after
receiving the adjudication in December, but just before it was published.
GXN stated that they were stopping them from doing it from their space,
Evesham then used a third party mailing service out of, IIRC, Network
Solutions space, and now, according to others, they are back on GXN space
again.
And you want to work with them? Just a reminder here, spammers lie.

To be fair to the devious scum, I'm not sure they're actually flouting
the adjudication. They've admitted that the list they bought is
unsuitable for marketing, and they've been told (and presumably have
agreed) to be careful about its data in the future. But it doesn't
seem to say anything about continuing to use the bad lists it's
already got (and has admitted are unsuitable).

I mean, any reputable company would stop using lists it's admitted are
unsuitable, but apparently Evesham don't want to be regarded as
reputable, and the adjudication doesn't seem to actually tell them to
do the decent thing.

[...]

Old January 28th 04, 12:25 PM
Edwin Petree

"Barry Dorrans" wrote in news:401788ec$0$21700
:

Of course for a small fee you never see theinquirer's ads

For a slightly larger fee you never see theinquirer.
Old January 28th 04, 12:34 PM
Anthony Edwards

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:12:08 +0000, Bruce Stephens
wrote:

To be fair to the devious scum, I'm not sure they're actually flouting
the adjudication. They've admitted that the list they bought is
unsuitable for marketing, and they've been told (and presumably have
agreed) to be careful about its data in the future. But it doesn't
seem to say anything about continuing to use the bad lists it's
already got (and has admitted are unsuitable).

It is actually quite likely (I think probable) that Evesham have
purchased (or obtained in some way) a new list. At least one, and
I believe two, of the three email addresses to which Unsolicited
Commercial Email was sent yesterday were in all probability removed
from Evesham's previous list as a result of GXN's assistance with
listwashing, since it/they received Unsolicited Commercial Email at the
commencement of Evesham's initial campaign of Unsolicited Commercial
Email during 2003, but no further examples once GXN had forwarded my
complaints (without my permission, of course) to Evesham themselves.

It is possible, perhaps, that Evesham Technology Ltd have interpreted
the Advertising Standards Authority adjudication of 17th December
2003 to mean that only the original list should not be re-used,
but that Evesham Technology Ltd were and are free to obtain and use
additional lists. That isn't my understanding of the adjudication
as written, but it could be a perceived loophole which Evesham are
attempting to exploit.

--
Anthony Edwards

Old January 28th 04, 12:42 PM
Edwin Petree

"chrisgreville" wrote in
:

"Edwin Petree" wrote in message

GXN are a member of LINX, and LINX have told parliament that there is
no such thing as a pink contract in the UK.

The LINX were "mistaken", (Read what ever you want into the emphasis).
I don't know about others, but I am seeing a slow but steady increase
in UK based spam.
The GXN rep. baldy said that Evesham were worth £30K to them. He
retracted that later in the thread, but that was certainly how it read
to me.

It was very clear. GXN will not terminate the accounts of high-paying
customers.

The actions of GXN have made it even clearer. Do what you like from GXN
space, they wont do anything.

Various people, who I trust and respect[1], have told me that the
important thing is that the abuse stops. It isn't about dramatic
gestures (terminating Evesham's contract) but about working with
Evesham to stop them spamming.

Splorf.!

splorf indeed.

Evesham are unrepentant spammers.

GXN are not going to terminate Evesham.

I predict that Evesham's opt-out email (do nothing and be a winner this
xmas) will satisfy the ASA, who will take no action against Evesham.

The office of the IC will also take no action, for similar reasons.

Evesham are deliberately flouting the ASA ruling, in fact they spammed
after receiving the adjudication in December, but just before it was
published. GXN stated that they were stopping them from doing it from
their space, Evesham then used a third party mailing service out of,
IIRC, Network Solutions space, and now, according to others, they are
back on GXN space again.

As has been stated; Evesham are worth 30k to GXN.

This is the post where Matt Edwell says that GXN ignore the LINX BCP:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=vovi53qq93g16f%40corp.supernews.com

"...then we would be expected to cancel a customers service based on two
complaints?....huummm do I lose £30k in revenue or do I slap them on the
wrist a second time...that, whether you like it or not, is the reality."

And you want to work with them? Just a reminder here, spammers lie.

*I* don't want to work with them; I want GXN to enfore their AUP and
terminate Evesham's account.

Other people have told me that stopping the spam is important and that
it does not need a TOS. I beleive those people should accept that
Evesham are unrepentant spammers and that GXN do not care.

just listwash, actively assisted by GXN. Barry has pointed out that
GXN admitted to assisting in the listwashing, and it appears that I
have been as well. Evesham have known this list is bad from the very
start of their spam runs, yet they continue to use it.

Predictions for ASA action when they find out that Evesham are
continuing to use a poisoned list after being told not to?