Legato Networker need to print SAVESET list

Old October 22nd 04, 09:14 PM
Fred

Default Legato Networker need to print SAVESET list

I need to audit our company's backup policy.

We are using Legato Networker 6.1.3 running on Solaris 2.6.

I am looking for a command line (or gui) way to print my

savesets
directives
schedules

Thanks in advance,

Fred
Old October 25th 04, 11:15 AM
Mark

"Fred" wrote in message
om...
I need to audit our company's backup policy.

We are using Legato Networker 6.1.3 running on Solaris 2.6.

I am looking for a command line (or gui) way to print my

savesets
directives
schedules

Hi Fred,
Unfortunately, Legato's biggest downfall is its lack of reporting as
standard.
It is not possible to list the configuration to text.

You can report on volume lists, index lists etc.. but , configuration...
no....

One of the most stupid things I seen in any software.

Can't shout too much, I use it daily!

Mark

Old October 25th 04, 01:46 PM
Scott Howard

Mark wrote:
We are using Legato Networker 6.1.3 running on Solaris 2.6.

I am looking for a command line (or gui) way to print my

savesets
directives
schedules

Unfortunately, Legato's biggest downfall is its lack of reporting as
standard.
It is not possible to list the configuration to text.

Rubbish.

# echo 'print type: NSR directive' | nsradmin -i -
type: NSR directive;
name: Unix with compression directives;
comment: ;
directive: "
/
skip: tmp_mnt
+skip: core
+compressasm: .
/tmp
skip: .?* *
[...etc...]

You can report on volume lists, index lists etc.. but , configuration...
no....

One of the most stupid things I seen in any software.

Please don't blame your own lack of knowledge on the product itself...

"man nsradmin" for more details.

Scott.
Old October 25th 04, 03:12 PM
Mark

"Scott Howard" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
[...]

You call that a report! I call it a data dump.

I mean, try sorting out the results of this when sent to a printer:

echo 'print type:NSR client' | nsradmin -i -

Poor layout, not an ounce of readability..

If I gave that to my Boss he would shoot me!

Old October 26th 04, 12:22 PM
Scott Howard

Mark wrote:
echo 'print type:NSR client' | nsradmin -i -

Poor layout, not an ounce of readability..

So learn Perl.

Personally I love the format that nsradmin outputs in - it's very easy
to parse - especially in perl.

If you don't want so much data dumped, then RTFM. Only want the client
names?
# echo "show name
print type:NSR client" | nsradmin -i -

Want to know what OS and what version of the NetWorker client all of your
machines are running?
# echo "show name; client OS type; NetWorker version
print type:NSR client" | nsradmin -i -

If I gave that to my Boss he would shoot me!

So you expect a program to give you output in exactly the format your
boss wants? Personally I'd rather have it output it in a format which
can easily be parsed into whatever _my_ boss wants (which is probably
different to what your boss wants). Perhaps I'm just being greedy...

Scott.