Prescott question

Old October 28th 04, 04:24 AM
Melissa Porter

Default Prescott question

It's my understanding that a Prescott processor with a revision level
of less than 8 will not work with XP SP2. I ran Intel's Processor
Frequency ID Utility and received the info shown below, which didn't
really answer the question since the rev level is shown as a letter
and not a number.

I've dug around on the Internet and have not been able to find an
answer that applies to these specifics.

My system is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Can someone please tell me whether or not I can safely install SP2?
Thanks.

Time Stamp: 2004/10/28 00:37:24
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80A GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 3
Stepping: 4
Revision: C
L1 Trace Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Packaging: FC-PGA2
Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: Yes
NetBurst(TM) Microarchitectu Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 533 MHz

Old October 28th 04, 05:07 AM
Jupiter Jones

Melissa;
See the section of the Service Pack Installation Checklist relating to
Prescott:

Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

ink.net...

Old October 28th 04, 05:28 AM
Jeff Bean

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:24:51 GMT, "Melissa Porter"
wrote:

[...]

Melissa,

You should be OK. According to this article, for Family F, Model 3,
Stepping 4, you must have a microcode update signature (Revision) of at
least 8. Yours is C, which is greater than 8 in hexadecimal arithmetic:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F

Jeff Bean

Old October 28th 04, 06:55 AM
Melissa Porter

"Jupiter Jones" wrote in message
Melissa;
See the section of the Service Pack Installation Checklist relating to
Prescott:

Thanks, but this was one of the first places I looked. I'm using the
checklist at this site as an installation guide. If there's a hex
explanation [see Jeff Bean's post], I missed it.

Old October 28th 04, 06:57 AM
Melissa Porter

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jeff. It's been a long time since I forgot everything I ever knew
about hex, and this explanation never occurred to me.

Old October 28th 04, 09:39 PM
Paul Schilter

Melissa,
Not sure about your processor but on my Pentium II 366 MHz which is in a
5 year old Inspiron 7000 I've installed SP2 without a problem.
Paul

Old November 3rd 04, 02:29 PM
guess

I have that processor in my Inspiron 5200, and SP2 is working fine there. I
have never heard anything about a specific Intel CPU not working with SP2.