Sound record volume

Old June 7th 04, 02:34 PM
kgold

Default Sound record volume

When I record to disk using MS Sound Recorder, the volume is very low
and there is a lot of background noise. It feels like something is
wrong with the input level.

The hardware setup is a cable from the headphone output of a player
to the line-in of the computer. When I select line-in to the
playback, the sound to the computer speakers sounds great, no noise or
distortion and good volume.

The software is MS Sound Recorder on XP Home. On "volume control" I
selected line-in and tried minimum, middle, and maximum volume
settings. I also tried maximum volume on the player.

What am I missing? Shouldn't this work?

Old June 7th 04, 03:06 PM
Vince McGowan

kgold wrote:

When I record to disk using MS Sound Recorder, the volume is very low
and there is a lot of background noise. It feels like something is
wrong with the input level.

The hardware setup is a cable from the headphone output of a player
to the line-in of the computer. When I select line-in to the
playback, the sound to the computer speakers sounds great, no noise or
distortion and good volume.

Try "Line Out" instead of the headphone jack.

Old June 7th 04, 05:56 PM
Ricky W. Hunt

"kgold" wrote in message

The software is MS Sound Recorder on XP Home. On "volume control" I
selected line-in and tried minimum, middle, and maximum volume
settings. I also tried maximum volume on the player.

In the Volume Control there are two panels. One for playback and one for
recording. Make sure you are changing the volume of the Recording Properties
one. Also, other channels (usually Aux In) can cause a lot of noise just by
being there. Try muting the Aux In channel too if you're not using it for
anything. Turn the headphone volume control up to about 90% of your output
device. You want to keep the volume high "upstream" and reduce (if it's too
loud) and the recording point, not vice versa.

Old June 8th 04, 02:26 PM
kgold

Vince McGowan writes:
kgold wrote:

When I record to disk using MS Sound Recorder, the volume is very low
and there is a lot of background noise. It feels like something is
wrong with the input level.

The hardware setup is a cable from the headphone output of a player
to the line-in of the computer. When I select line-in to the
playback, the sound to the computer speakers sounds great, no noise or
distortion and good volume.

Try "Line Out" instead of the headphone jack.

My player doesn't have a "line out", just a headphone jack.

I was assuming that:

1 - The headphone jack was roughly the same power as line in.
2 - Since the playback volume is OK, the problem is not with the input.

Are either of these conclusions wrong?

What about using the sound card mic input. Other than keeping the
input volume low so I don't blow something up, are there other
problems?

Old June 8th 04, 02:53 PM
Ricky W. Hunt

"kgold" wrote in message

I was assuming that:

1 - The headphone jack was roughly the same power as line in.

It is.

2 - Since the playback volume is OK, the problem is not with the input.

Are either of these conclusions wrong?

What about using the sound card mic input. Other than keeping the
input volume low so I don't blow something up, are there other
problems?

The mic input will sound like crap. The little onboard mic preamp is
unbearable and will really add a lot of noise. I wrote a fairly detailed
post a day or so ago about some things to try. If you didn't see it let me
know and I'll try to send it again.

#1 - here I'm assuming the headphone jack has a volume level - have you
tried turning up the volume at the source? That would raise the signal
level going into your sound card. The Line Out level is independent of
the volume setting.

Old June 9th 04, 03:26 AM
Vince McGowan

Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

Your sound card has line out.

But the signal source doesn't. OP needs a decent level for the Line In
jack of his sound card for recording.