Another thing I noticed 1 gig mem makes my system run a lot smoother

Old December 19th 03, 11:13 AM

Default Another thing I noticed 1 gig mem makes my system run a lot smoother

I thought there wouldnt be that much difference for every day
operations under WIN XP but it makes a huge difference with large file
transfers. I thought maybe 512 megs was the sweet spot and anything
over that would only matter with say video editing. However though 512
is way better than the really marginal 256 megs some people use - with
512 I used - file operations and related stuff would really bog down
to the point I thought there was something wrong with power desk - the
file utility.

Now with 1 gig - I can start two file transfers of a huge amount of
files - thousands or several huge ones worth 800 megs or so and they
both go smoothly. In the past one would suddenly choke or increase the
file transfer times by a factor of 5-10 and Power Desk would
frequently crash. Everything works so much smoother now.

If you just surf the net and dont do large file transfers and are a
super light user you might now notice much of a difference between 512
megs and 1 gig though.

The additional memory was a Kbyte module not one of the top rated
names in mem but it worked fine right out of the package. Its rated at
3200 though and Im only using it at 2100 level speeds until I get my
2500 barton and OC it so this may be a pathetic test for the Kbyte.

So far Ive had very decent luck though with cheap Kingston 2100 sticks
with my second PC which some have also posted they had problems with.
Zero problems so far with them and Ive bought 4 of them so far for
various systems.