Core 2 Duo T7200 versus Core 2 Duo T7600

Old December 7th 06, 02:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

Default Core 2 Duo T7200 versus Core 2 Duo T7600

I'm in the market to purchase a DELL XPS. The desired processor is
Core 2 Duo. I'm torn between the T7200 and the T7600. The fundamental
difference between the Core 2 Duo T7200 versus the Core 2 Duo T7600
surrounds the Frequency ( 2000 Mhz ( 7200 ) versus 2333 ( 7600 ) ) and
the Multiplier ( 12x ( 7200 ) versus 14x ( 7600 ) ). The question:
There's a 666 Mhz difference between the two ( not sure how to assess
the multiplier ), nonetheless, will I notice this difference? I
suspect the answer might be predicated upon 'what I'm doing' but beyond
matlab / C++ applications .. I'm unsure I'll notice the difference.

The specs:

Model Number: Core 2 Duo T7200
Frequency: 2000 MHz
L2 Cache :4096 KiB
Front Side Bus =: 667 MT/s
Multiplier: 12x
Voltage: 1.0375-1.3 V
TDP: 34 W
Socket: Socket M
Release Date: August 28 2006
Part Number: LF80537GF0414M
Price: $294

Model Number: Core 2 Duo T7600
Frequency: 2333 MHz
L2 Cache :4096 KiB
Front Side Bus =: 667 MT/s
Multiplier: 14x
Voltage: 1.0375-1.3 V
TDP: 34 W
Socket: Socket M
Release Date: August 28 2006
Part Number: LF80537GF0534M
Price: $637

Old December 12th 06, 10:53 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Nate Edel

wrote:
I'm in the market to purchase a DELL XPS. The desired processor is
Core 2 Duo. I'm torn between the T7200 and the T7600. The fundamental
difference between the Core 2 Duo T7200 versus the Core 2 Duo T7600
surrounds the Frequency ( 2000 Mhz ( 7200 ) versus 2333 ( 7600 ) ) and
the Multiplier ( 12x ( 7200 ) versus 14x ( 7600 ) ). The question:
There's a 666 Mhz difference between the two ( not sure how to assess
the multiplier ), nonetheless, will I notice this difference? I
suspect the answer might be predicated upon 'what I'm doing' but beyond
matlab / C++ applications .. I'm unsure I'll notice the difference.

What else are you going to be doing with them? And how big is the price
difference?

If these were desktop systems, and your answer was "video games" I'd say
you'd do better saving the money from a top of the line system to get a
better video card instead (or to replace you video card in another 6 months
if you'd already budgeted for a top of the line card.)

Given that you're talking about mobile chips, sort of a different set of
alternatives to trade off on.

--
Nate Edel
http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

"What's the use of yearning for Elysian Fields when you know you can't get
'em, and would only let 'em out on building leases if you had 'em?" (WSG)
Old December 27th 06, 04:48 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

wrote:
[...]

That's cheap! However, there are two questions only you can answer: (1)
how much CPU do you really need, aka will saving money **** you off
waiting for something to run. My laptop is used for data entry, reading
documentation, and web/mail, CPU isn't an issue. Part (2) what is the
difference in power use and effective battery life? From the specs it
sounds like zero, so there, you considered it. Of course if the fast one
comes with better display, or graphics card, or larger disk, you still
have a sticking point. I love my large screen, but I do think about
better battery life, I traded slower CPU and less memory for the big
display, and I'm still happy.

Hope any of this helps.

--
Bill Davidsen
He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting