Core barton copper spacer

Old November 21st 03, 12:07 PM
Ciber

Default Core barton copper spacer

hi all

i have an old copper specer for tbird can i put it on my xp barton ?
i must cut it becouse layout is change but die core hight dimension is
change?
thanks
Ciby

Old November 21st 03, 12:41 PM
Ben Pope

Ciber wrote:
hi all

i have an old copper specer for tbird can i put it on my xp barton ?

Spacer? Whats that for?

i must cut it becouse layout is change but die core hight dimension
is change?

Don't use it. You see them 4 spongy pads... thats what they're for... the
spacer is likely to cause you problems.

All you gotta do is be gentle when you put the heatsink on.

Ben

Old November 21st 03, 05:20 PM
ciber

Don't use it. You see them 4 spongy pads... thats what they're for... the
spacer is likely to cause you problems.

yes but i have also an old water block and a clip that aren't very stable ;(

cib

Old November 21st 03, 06:01 PM
Ben Pope

ciber wrote:
Don't use it. You see them 4 spongy pads... thats what they're
for... the spacer is likely to cause you problems.

yes but i have also an old water block and a clip that aren't very
stable ;(

As you said... you'd need to cut the copper ring... you think you can do
that without bending it? What do you think will happen if you bend the ring
and then try to fit it?

I can't recommend that you use the copper ring or the dodgy waterblock. The
choice is yours of course.

Ben

Old November 22nd 03, 11:40 AM
Aussie

Here u go again...How many time do i have to tell u?..another Smartass
comment.When u gonna learn NOT to tell people something that u have
absouletly no idea of."Dont use it" Why not? yes,tell me, why not?I am using
it, ThermalTake Copper Shim part number: A1215...It lowers overall cpu
temp(underload) by 2*C..Not a bad performer isnt it?Costs $6 AUD....So i
reckon he "CAN" use it if he wants to o/c his cpu.Because HE will benefit
from it....And there is no risk involved.I put mine in myself and im not an
expert ,not like u anyway . .

"You see them 4 spongy pads... thats what they're for"....Really ??? Again u
dont know what u talking about.Or your comprehension is out of line...Spongy
pads are there to soften the pressure applied by the h/s.

"the
spacer is likely to cause you problems."...No bull****!!!Spacer actually

helps to even out the pressure to prevent chipping or cracking..

All this time i've tried very hard.But u never learn do u???Ben
Pope.....Shut the **** up..Dont answer any post just for the sake of
it..Because u simply dont know jack ****...Do not mislead or misinform
people........

Old November 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
Ben Pope

Aussie wrote:
Here u go again...How many time do i have to tell u?..another Smartass
comment.When u gonna learn NOT to tell people something that u have
absouletly no idea of.

You still following me around attacking me when you disagree? You're like a
child.

Why don't you just filter me.

"Dont use it" Why not? yes,tell me, why not?

1) Because it is designed for a different processor
2) He will have to cut it to avoid diodes
3) That will bend it increasing it's height and preventing the cooling
solution from working properly.

Copper is some strange kinda stuff... it eats grinding wheels so you can
forget your dremel unless you want to use every wheel you have. Might as
well purchase the correct shim, no?

I am using it,

Did you have to cut it? How did you do that without bending it, eh?

ThermalTake Copper Shim part number: A1215...It lowers overall
cpu temp(underload) by 2*C..

And how does it do that, mastermind? ThermalTake don't market it as a
cooling solution.

Not a bad performer isnt it?Costs $6
AUD....So i reckon he "CAN" use it if he wants to o/c his cpu.

It's for preventing damage to the core, not increasing cooling.

Because HE
will benefit from it....And there is no risk involved.I put mine in
myself and im not an expert ,not like u anyway . .

Benefit how? If he bends the thing cutting it, it'll prevent the heatsink
from making proper contact with the CPU. If he doesn't bend it, it may help
to protect the CPU die... personally I think he should use either caution of
a waterblock that fits well.

"You see them 4 spongy pads... thats what they're for"....Really ???
Again u dont know what u talking about.Or your comprehension is out of
line...Spongy pads are there to soften the pressure applied by the h/s.

And the spacer? Whats the spacer for again?

"the spacer is likely to cause you problems."

...No bull****!!!Spacer actually
helps to even out the pressure to prevent chipping or cracking..

No, it doesn't "even out the pressure" at all. It prevents you from putting
the heatsink on at an angle, applying pressure to the edge of the die,
preventing cracking. In an ideal world there would be room to slide a fag
paper between it and the heatsink once installed. If not, it will likely
*reduce* the pressure on the core, *reducing* cooling.

All this time i've tried very hard.But u never learn do u???Ben
Pope.....Shut the **** up..Dont answer any post just for the sake of
it..Because u simply dont know jack ****...Do not mislead or misinform
people........

Learn some manners. Your 4 letter words scream child at me, use your
frontal lobe and exercise restraint, it's for your own good.

Oh, and for the record, you're wrong. Again.

Ben

Old November 22nd 03, 08:28 PM
Gary W. Swearingen

"Ben Pope" writes:

It's for preventing damage to the core, not increasing cooling.

A question for Ben or anyone who cares to guess:

When running full-out for a long time, with a standard HSF setup,
which is hotter, the top of the CPU body (say, just outside a square
that surrounds the chip, resisters, etc.) or the bottom of the heat
sink just above the same part of the CPU body? How much hotter?

Because heat flows much better through metel than through CPU body
material, I'm guessing that the heat sink is much hotter, and that a
properly-sized spacer (with a thicker layer of TIM than the die has),
would cause heat to flow from the heat sink to the CPU body, cooling
the sink and CPU dia, while making the CPU body and the motherboard
hotter and acting as more of a heat sink than it already does.
Old November 23rd 03, 07:59 PM
Ben Pope

Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
"Ben Pope" writes:

It's for preventing damage to the core, not increasing cooling.

A question for Ben or anyone who cares to guess:

When running full-out for a long time, with a standard HSF setup,
which is hotter, the top of the CPU body (say, just outside a square
that surrounds the chip, resisters, etc.) or the bottom of the heat
sink just above the same part of the CPU body?

Heatsink, the metal will be more thermally conductive than the CPU package.

How much hotter?

Because heat flows much better through metel than through CPU body
material, I'm guessing that the heat sink is much hotter,

Agreed.

and that a
properly-sized spacer (with a thicker layer of TIM than the die has),
would cause heat to flow from the heat sink to the CPU body, cooling
the sink and CPU dia,

Since the die is directly mounted in the package (CPU body) that will
provide no additional cooling.

while making the CPU body and the motherboard
hotter and acting as more of a heat sink than it already does.

I disagree.

Ben

Old November 24th 03, 03:22 AM
Dave

Shouldn't you be at school?

If you don't like what he has to say then filter him!

Old November 24th 03, 05:05 AM
Gary W. Swearingen

"Ben Pope" writes:

Since the die is directly mounted in the package (CPU body) that will
provide no additional cooling.

Think about the heat flow from the die into the motherboard in the two
cases, with and without the correctly-mounted heat sink and spacer.

///////////////////////////////////////// Heatsink
OOOOOOOOOOOO XXXXXXX OOOOOOOOOOOO spacer, die, spacer

Without the spacer, the heat will have a tough time making it through
the thin low-thermal-conductive CPU body out to the pins far from the
die.

With the spacer, some heat will easily flow through the heatsink and
down through the spacer and relatively easily through the thin CPU
body into the pins and into the motherboard. A hotter motherboard
means a cooler die (when the heat comes from the die).

I'm not saying it's worth messing with; just that I think it should
make the die run somewhat cooler.