Refurb Dell servers: deal or no deal

Old May 7th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Refurb Dell servers: deal or no deal

I am shopping for a couple of Dell PowerEdge servers. Somebody told me
that the good way to save money is to buy a refurb server. I found this
site uogold.com, called them and they seem to have what I need. Ther
prices are quite low and being on a tight budget I am pretty much ready
to buy.

But before I take the plunge I decided to ask the community:
- Any opinions about refurbished dell servers versus new ones.
- Did anyone have any experience with Uogold: good or bad. Or other
sellers of refurb servers.

Thank you very much,
Ira

Old May 7th 06, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am shopping for a couple of Dell PowerEdge servers. Somebody told me
that the good way to save money is to buy a refurb server. I found this
site uogold.com, called them and they seem to have what I need. Ther
prices are quite low and being on a tight budget I am pretty much ready
to buy.

But before I take the plunge I decided to ask the community:
- Any opinions about refurbished dell servers versus new ones.
- Did anyone have any experience with Uogold: good or bad. Or other
sellers of refurb servers.

Thank you very much,
Ira

The ONLY place I would buy a refurb Dell is http://outlet.dell.com

They come with the full warranty.

Everything else is a BIG gamble.

Old May 8th 06, 03:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

fwiw, i just priced out two pe2800 server configuration that i just bought
new from dell small business and the place you mentioned for used actually
priced out higher... dell is having a great sale on new 2800's right now so
check it out. i find that dell's outlet store is often not competitive
against their own new price and you may have to compromise on configuration
in the outlet store vs. getting exactly what you want if you configure and
purchase a new machine. if your budget is tight then just keep watching
dells ever chaning prices and jump when you see a good deal.

oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 09:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thank you for your advice.

I did compare the price I got with the prices on new servers and the
prices from Dell's outlet - the quote from uogold was much better. I am
shopping for pe1850s. They offered me a nice discount off the prices on
their web site because I am buying 2 servers and will need several more
soon. When I add the taxes I will have to pay if I buy from Dell the
deal looks even better.

They also say their servers carry the remainder of Dell's warranty - 2
years and 11 months.

Another thing - Dell says the 1850 in the configuration I want can be
shipped after 5/17. uogold.com claims they can ship it the day they
receive my payment.

I think I am almost ready to buy from them unless somebody tells me
something really bad about this co or refurb poweredges in general.
I'll use my Amex so that I can get my money back if anything goes
wrong. I will report what I find if anybody wonders. I can tell one
thing already - I spoke to a live person from uogold yesterday
(Sunday!) and he knew a lot about 1850s. My experience with Dell's
sales reps was quite different.

I know all the perils of buying from unknowns from the Web but it's
just too tempting. If it works I'll have a source for cheap servers. If
not - I hope it will not cost me much time or money.

Christopher Muto wrote:
fwiw, i just priced out two pe2800 server configuration that i just bought
new from dell small business and the place you mentioned for used actually
priced out higher... dell is having a great sale on new 2800's right now so
check it out. i find that dell's outlet store is often not competitive
against their own new price and you may have to compromise on configuration
in the outlet store vs. getting exactly what you want if you configure and
purchase a new machine. if your budget is tight then just keep watching
dells ever chaning prices and jump when you see a good deal.

oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

list your configuration and lets see who's prices are better. dells prices
change constantly. the web site you suggest doesn't offer tape backup units
with their systems (sure you can backup over the net but tape is essential
if you care about your company's business continuity plan). i think used
computer dealers like used car dealers rely on customer ignorance and profit
from those that simply don't know better. also, if you select a pe1800
series and add redundant power supplies scsi raid then you wind up with a
system that actually costs more than.

ups.com...

Christopher Muto wrote:
fwiw, i just priced out two pe2800 server configuration that i just
bought
new from dell small business and the place you mentioned for used
actually
priced out higher... dell is having a great sale on new 2800's right now
so
check it out. i find that dell's outlet store is often not competitive
against their own new price and you may have to compromise on
configuration
in the outlet store vs. getting exactly what you want if you configure
and
purchase a new machine. if your budget is tight then just keep watching
dells ever chaning prices and jump when you see a good deal.

oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

left in mid sentance...
if you select a pe1800 series and add redundant power supplies scsi raid
then you wind up with a system that actually costs more than a pe2800, and
the pe2800 is a better machine.

Christopher Muto wrote:
fwiw, i just priced out two pe2800 server configuration that i just
bought
new from dell small business and the place you mentioned for used
actually
priced out higher... dell is having a great sale on new 2800's right now
so
check it out. i find that dell's outlet store is often not competitive
against their own new price and you may have to compromise on
configuration
in the outlet store vs. getting exactly what you want if you configure
and
purchase a new machine. if your budget is tight then just keep watching
dells ever chaning prices and jump when you see a good deal.

oups.com...

Old May 8th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I am not arguing on pe1800 vs pe2800 issue. I need pe1850: dual
dual-proc CPS, redundant power, RAID, 2 146/15 hdds, DRAC, rails,
DVD-ROM, floppy, the whole thing.

I did the comparison several times and even with the sale Dell is
running now I will still save $1,200 on two servers if everything is as
promised. And, again, - Dell would not ship the servers earlier than
5/17.

BTW, I have placed an order with uogold and should receive the servers
by Thursday. By next Monday I sould be able to run all my tests,
transfer warranty, etc.

Old May 8th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I am not arguing on pe1800 vs pe2800 issue. I need pe1850: 2x dual-proc
CPUs, redundant power, RAID, 2 146/15 hdds, DRAC, rails, DVD-ROM,
floppy, the whole thing.

I did the comparison several times and even with the sale Dell is
running now I will still save $1,200 on two servers if everything is as
promised. And, again, - Dell would not ship the servers earlier than
5/17.

BTW, I have placed an order with uogold and should receive the servers
by Thursday. By next Monday I should be able to run all my tests,
transfer warranty, etc.

Old May 8th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

didn't think we were arguing at all. i was just trying to help you make a
good choice.
that place you mentioned sell the pe1850 with your configuration for $4,100
plus shipping acording to their web site (with dual 2.8ghz dual core and 1gb
ram since you didn't mention the specifics). that same configuration is
$2,455 direct from dell. neither of these prices include the rails.
since you already ordered then this thread is done.
best of luck to you

oups.com...

Old May 11th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Well, it's too late now, but I just saw this thread, so here is my
story:
I actually bought 5 poweredges from uogold.com over the past few
months.
I did check the dell site every time and ugold was always ahead.
I also checked Dell outlet but for some reason the prices there were
higher than the for new servers with the same config on Dell.com. I
guess that's Dell's way to say that refurbs are better than new :-)
I haven't had any problems with theses refurbs, or with several others
I bought from another company last year. Just to put your mind to ease,
Ira.