noisy fan

Old April 28th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default noisy fan

I gotta Inspiron 6000 with 1 GB of DDR2 SD RAM and a 100 GB hard drive.
The graphics card is a Media Acclerator 900. Whenever I play "The Sims
2", if it is run for about 15 minutes, the fan begins to get noisy.
There is no reason. The Inspiron has 4x of the required RAM and about
30x more hard drive than required. Graphic card is the believed
requirement. And when I play The Sims 2 for more than 1 hour, it gets
REALLY noisy. Is the large filed game interfering with the cooling
system??????

Old April 28th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I don't imagine your machine is too old, as that's a new model, isn't it?
Otherwise, I'd suggest blowing out the cooling ducts and fans with some
compressed air. The Inspiron 9100 I used to have got progressively more
noisy till one day I took it apart and blew out the cooling system. After
that, the fans never kicked into high, regardless of what I was doing.
Before that, they would kick into high on a regular basis. A co-worker of
mine has to blow his Inspiron on a regular basis, as they have a few pets at
home. Smoking also seems to have a tendancy to plug up computer cooling
equipment.

As far as large files interfering with the cooling system, the major
generators of heat are the CPU, the graphics processor, and the hard drive.
You can monitor the CPU utilization pretty easily by starting the Task
Manager, and then run your game for a bit. The switch back to the Task
Manager, and see if you've got the CPU utilitization pegged at a high level
(like 100%). If that's the case, you're probably SOL with regards to
quieting the fan. Typically, the laptops have a light that indicates HD
usage; do you see that flashing on a regular basis?

Also keep in mind that you can improve cooling efficiency by making sure
you're not blocking any of the cooling vents. During the winter, I often
sit in my easy chair, with a blanket on my lap (cool basement, dontcha
know). If I'm not careful to keep the cooling vents freed up, the fan on my
Latitude D810 will kick in pretty quickly. A hard flat surface is best.

Clint

oups.com...

Old April 29th 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Clint,
I have a similar situation to the OP, on my I8600 the fans run hard after
short bursts of activity and was wondering how you clean the air vents and
cooling assembly with compressed air. Do i need to disassemble the system?
or just blow the air in from the outside.

Regards

Robert

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Old April 29th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On my Inspiron 9100, it was easy to take the fans out, and blow things out
properly. There were two hatches over the fans (one per fan), and one screw
in each one. On my Latitude, there's no way to get at the fans without
taking the chassis apart, which I'm not about to do. So I just blow them
out as best I can.

Of course, the 9100 had a P4 3.0GHz desktop processor, so it generated a wee
bit more heat than the Latitude too. So good cooling was a little more
important to it.

Clint

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Old April 29th 06, 06:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 28 Apr 2006 12:24:26 -0700, wrote:

Whenever I play "The Sims
2", if it is run for about 15 minutes, the fan begins to get noisy.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl a while back I was a noisy fan.

Journey
Old April 29th 06, 01:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Robert McMillan" wrote:
wondering how you clean the air vents and
cooling assembly with compressed air. Do i need to disassemble the system?
or just blow the air in from the outside.

I've never had to do more than blow air backwards thru the cooling
vents, though I'd imagine that if it's easy to open things up a bit
you'd do a better job.

My Latitude D610 has a plate with tiny little perforations 'blocking'
the fan, which I kinda wish I could remove, but it doesn't look easy
to get to. I noticed that it was running a bit warm when I took itout
of it's dock last night, so I fired an aircan at it a couple of times
and it seems to be much cooler this morning. I guess I should make
that a quarterly(?) PM task...
Old April 30th 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Yeah, but I doubt his fan is noisy just because it had a six-pack too
many...

Clint (who broke his ankle the night the Blue Jays won their first World
Series, and is not even a baseball fan)

news