EMC Clariion puzzle - can only see 1 LUN (sometimes)

Old October 27th 04, 03:05 AM
ohaya

Default EMC Clariion puzzle - can only see 1 LUN (sometimes)

Hi,

I have a PC connected to an EMC Clariion CX700 via an EMC (McData, I
think) FC switch. The HBA is a dual-port QLogic FC HBA. Right now, for
testing, I only have a single cable from the HBA to the FC switch, and
another single cable from the FC switch to the 2nd port of the CX700
SP-B.

On the switch, I have a zone setup with the HBA port WWPN and with the
SP-B port WWPN.

In Navisphere, I have a Storage Group with the HBA port 'registered' as
a host, and with two LUNs (say, LUN 0 and LUN 1). Right now, both LUN 0
and LUN 1 are configured for SP-B (port B-2).

I've installed Windows onto LUN 0, and can boot to Windows off of LUN
0. Once I'm in Windows, I can see the 2nd LUN as a 2nd drive.

However, when I try to boot this system to a standalone partitioning
utility called BootItNG (off of a floppy), BootItNG only seems to be
able to see the 1st LUN (LUN 0). It can't seem to "see" or detect the
2nd LUN at all.

This is kind of more of a curiousity question, as BootItNG isn't
specifically a product for working with SANs, but I was kind of hoping
that it would be able to see both LUNs. That would've allowed me to do
stuff like copy the OS image from LUN 0 to LUN 1, backup images, etc.

Does anyone know why I am not able to see any LUNs beyond LUN 0?

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm thinking that if I
connect the 2nd HBA port to the FC switch, create an additional zone for
the 2nd HBA port and a port on SP-A, and then configure LUN 1 to come
under a port on SP-A instead of being on the same SP as LUN 0, that just
might allow me to see both LUNs.

Something I'm going to want to try tomorrow if I have some time.

Any comments/suggestions on this, or how (else) I might configure things
so that I can see both LUNs while "outside" of Windows?

Thanks,
Jim
Old October 27th 04, 03:01 PM
AWS

Are you able to tell the dimensions of the LUN that you are able to see
in BootItNG? I think that it is likely that you don't see either of
the acutal LUNs that you've assigned in that storage group-- usually
its all or nothing. More likely, you're seeing the "dummy" LUN that
the Clariion uses for FC communication with the host when no other LUNs
are available. If BootItNG does not have the appropriate HBA driver,
you may not be able to past the dummy LUN.

Old October 28th 04, 07:39 AM
ohaya

AWS wrote:

Are you able to tell the dimensions of the LUN that you are able to see
in BootItNG? I think that it is likely that you don't see either of
the acutal LUNs that you've assigned in that storage group-- usually
its all or nothing. More likely, you're seeing the "dummy" LUN that
the Clariion uses for FC communication with the host when no other LUNs
are available. If BootItNG does not have the appropriate HBA driver,
you may not be able to past the dummy LUN.

Hi,

Yes, I can see the size of that LUN. In fact, I can even do "stuff" to
the LUN with BootItNG, like create/delete partitions, resize them, move
them around ("slide"), etc. I was really hoping that if BootItNG could
see both LUNs, I could do stuff like image/restore LUNs, etc. "on the
cheap".

Re. "all or nothing": That's the way I thought it'd work too ...

BTW, I tried my little "experiment" today, connecting the 2nd HBA port
to the switch, setting a separate zone for it to the SP-A, etc., but
even then, BootIt only seems to see that 1st LUN. Really disappointing.

Thanks,
Jim