Hardware questions about new build

Old April 23rd 08, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

Default Hardware questions about new build

I'm on the planning stage of building a new computer and have the
following questions:

1. Is an old SATA cable (1.5 mb) compatible with SATA2, or are there
new ones?
2. Is a SATA DVD/CD burner appreciably faster then the old IDE model?
3. What addon cards use the PCI express x 1 slot? I found, so far,
RAID cards, NICs and modems. None of which is really necessary in a
modern MB.

Thanks for any info.
Old April 23rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill

In article ,
says...
I'm on the planning stage of building a new computer and have the
following questions:

1. Is an old SATA cable (1.5 mb) compatible with SATA2, or are there
new ones?

Try it. It will either work or it won't. It won't kill anything if it
doesn't. That said, the biggest problem I've had with SATA cable is
poor connections. They tend to become unseated. I've taken to using
SATA II they're backwards compatable that have latches that stay
seated. Such as:

http://www.okgear.com/gears/SATA_CABLE_SERIES.htm

2. Is a SATA DVD/CD burner appreciably faster then the old IDE model?

Not that I've been able to tell. I tend not to burn at the fastest
speed rated on the media; less coasters that way.

3. What addon cards use the PCI express x 1 slot? I found, so far,
RAID cards, NICs and modems. None of which is really necessary in a
modern MB.

Sound cards, video cards, tv cards... what were you looking for in
particular?

Thanks for any info.

Google always provides.

Bill
Old April 23rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:22:27 -0700, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

thanks, Bill. Not looking for anything in particular. Just it's the
first MB that I used that has PCI-e. The graphics card goes into the
x16, and I thought what a waste it is to have 2 x1 slots not used.

Old April 24th 08, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jack

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:22:27 -0700, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I'm on the planning stage of building a new computer and have the
following questions:

1. Is an old SATA cable (1.5 mb) compatible with SATA2, or are there
new ones?

Try it. It will either work or it won't. It won't kill anything if it
doesn't. That said, the biggest problem I've had with SATA cable is
poor connections. They tend to become unseated. I've taken to using
SATA II they're backwards compatable that have latches that stay
seated. Such as:

http://www.okgear.com/gears/SATA_CABLE_SERIES.htm

Followup question on this: If I use a SATA I cable on a SATAII drive,
will the drive function @ 3Gb or 1.5? Is there any documentation on
this?
Old April 24th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Jack wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:22:27 -0700, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I'm on the planning stage of building a new computer and have the
following questions:

1. Is an old SATA cable (1.5 mb) compatible with SATA2, or are there
new ones?

Try it. It will either work or it won't. It won't kill anything if it
doesn't. That said, the biggest problem I've had with SATA cable is
poor connections. They tend to become unseated. I've taken to using
SATA II they're backwards compatable that have latches that stay
seated. Such as:

http://www.okgear.com/gears/SATA_CABLE_SERIES.htm

Followup question on this: If I use a SATA I cable on a SATAII drive,
will the drive function @ 3Gb or 1.5? Is there any documentation on
this?

See the table in section 2.2 on PDF page 13. SATA 1.5Gbit/sec cable
is compatible with SATA 3.0Gbit/sec cable. That is the only reference
I was able to find the last time I looked. Obviously, the unscrupulous
vendors (the "monster cable" types), will be telling you something else.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/...ta/sata_im.pdf

In terms of the cables offered for sale, you may find three basic
types. The original internal SATA cable, had no mechanism for cable
retention. The next version of cable, had a plastic "lip" on one side, and
a "metal tab with teeth" on the other. This allows the cable to be
retained, so it won't fall out. The motherboard connector has to have
the necessary plastic retention feature, so the metal bit can secure itself.
(Mixing old and new types, means no better retention. Both ends should be
the new type for it to work.)

The third kind of cable, is for ESATA or external (enclosure) SATA. The
connector style doesn't have the L shaped key, and has a higher quality
metal section on it, which is good for a lot of insertion/removal
cycles.

In addition to the three basic cables, there are connectors which are
straight, ones that are "left handed" and ones that are "right handed".
Depending on the proximity of the connectors on the motherboard, and
whether a long video card passes over the internal SATA connector field,
determines what kind of cables will be needed. A good motherboard should
already have considered the video card fit, when it comes to the cables
that are bundled with the motherboard. Otherwise, there are plenty of
sources of SATA cables, some of which have nice color pictures of the
product.

Paul