HD Diagnostic Tools and an Odd One from WD

Old December 20th 03, 03:44 PM
W. Watson

Default HD Diagnostic Tools and an Odd One from WD

I recently had a need to use a disk diagnostic tool on a WestDig drive. Someone told
me about a program called Sandra. Although there's a trial version, it doesn't
contain the diagnostic program. Anyone have experience with it. Another possibility
is Active Smart. I did download the trial version, and liked the user interface. A
third choice is the WD tool. I was surprised how old it was. They still distribute a
DOS version, and a Windows version called WinDLG was a mystery. It came as
WinDLG.exe. When I tried to open it (in XP), it wanted to know where to put the
results. I gave it a folder name and it put WinDlg in it. I found that odd. I then
clicked Open for that file, and it put up a small window dialog about who I want to
have have rights to execute it. I checked Admin. Tried again. Same results. Anyone
know what this is all about?

--
Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet, Nevada City, CA)
-- GMT-8 hr std. time, RJ Rcvr 39° 8' 0" N, 121° 1' 0" W

"Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are,
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky."
-- Jane Taylor, Rhymes for the Nursery (1806)

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
sierra_mtnview -at- earthlink -dot- net
Imaginarium Museum: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html

Old December 20th 03, 06:32 PM
Rod Speed

W. Watson wrote in
message ...

I recently had a need to use a disk
diagnostic tool on a WestDig drive.

Someone told me about a program called Sandra.
Although there's a trial version, it doesn't contain the
diagnostic program. Anyone have experience with it.

Its nothing like a drive manufacturer's diagnostic.

Another possibility is Active Smart. I did download
the trial version, and liked the user interface.

Trouble is that it isnt even a real hard drive
diagnostic. It JUST does the SMART stuff.

A third choice is the WD tool. I was surprised how old it was.

It isnt old at all.

They still distribute a DOS version,

Almost all of the hard drive diagnostics are dos programs, for a reason.

Only the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic provides
the most comprehensive test of their hard drives.

Just cut to the chase and use the dos program.

and a Windows version called WinDLG was a mystery.

DataLifeGuard is more than just a diagnostic. Its closer
to ActiveSmart, but does more than just SMART.

It came as WinDLG.exe. When I tried to open it (in XP), it wanted
to know where to put the results. I gave it a folder name and it put
WinDlg in it. I found that odd. I then clicked Open for that file, and
it put up a small window dialog about who I want to have have rights
to execute it. I checked Admin. Tried again. Same results. Anyone
know what this is all about?

I'll have a closer look later once I've been thru the newsgroups.

Old December 20th 03, 08:25 PM
Rod Speed

Rod Speed wrote in message
W. Watson wrote

[...]

It actually asks for confirmation of where to install the PROGRAM.

I gave it a folder name and it put WinDlg in it. I found that odd.

Why ? Nothing odd about it.

I then clicked Open for that file,

You're sposed to run it from the Start menu, just like every other program.

and it put up a small window dialog about who I want to
have have rights to execute it. I checked Admin. Tried
again. Same results. Anyone know what this is all about?

Just you having a massive brain fart. It works fine.

Creating a Dell diagnostic partition on a bare hard drive Ben Myers Dell Computers 13 March 16th 05 08:53 PM
Diagnostic tools Not Known General 7 December 17th 04 08:04 AM
Diagnostic programs 2004 - 2002, SolarWinds 2002 Broadband Engineer's Edition, SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor, other ! te2 Overclocking 0 September 2nd 04 07:48 PM
Diagnostic programs 2004 - 2002, SolarWinds 2002 Broadband Engineer's Edition, SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor, other ! te2 Homebuilt PC's 0 September 2nd 04 07:41 PM
System Diagnostic Tools for Presario 6320US? Steven Troyer Compaq Computers 2 July 24th 03 03:29 PM