Best stress test?

Old January 16th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

Default Best stress test?

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a search turned up nothing.
What's a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test? I
downloaded Prime95, but instructions are about as clear as mud (run it
on the Internet or not?). Also, there's mention of running it for
days on end. I don't have time for that. I've already run Memtest86+
for 24 hours with no errors.

I'm having occasional freeze/reboot problems when I'm running a
particular program (Newsleecher 3.9b11). And I need to make sure my
computer isn't at fault before I start pointing fingers.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Larc

Old January 16th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat[_3_]

"Larc" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a search turned up nothing.
What's a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test? I
downloaded Prime95, but instructions are about as clear as mud (run it
on the Internet or not?). Also, there's mention of running it for
days on end. I don't have time for that. I've already run Memtest86+
for 24 hours with no errors.

I'm having occasional freeze/reboot problems when I'm running a
particular program (Newsleecher 3.9b11). And I need to make sure my
computer isn't at fault before I start pointing fingers.

Have you checked your Event Viewer ?.

Old January 16th 08, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:42:19 GMT, "meerkat"
wrote:

"Larc" wrote in message
.. .
I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a search turned up nothing.
What's a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test? I
downloaded Prime95, but instructions are about as clear as mud (run it
on the Internet or not?). Also, there's mention of running it for
days on end. I don't have time for that. I've already run Memtest86+
for 24 hours with no errors.

I'm having occasional freeze/reboot problems when I'm running a
particular program (Newsleecher 3.9b11). And I need to make sure my
computer isn't at fault before I start pointing fingers.

Have you checked your Event Viewer ?.

Yes, but that doesn't indicate any problem when the reboot occurs.

Larc

Old January 17th 08, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
KlausK

"Larc" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a search turned up nothing.
What's a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test? I
downloaded Prime95, but instructions are about as clear as mud (run it
on the Internet or not?). Also, there's mention of running it for
days on end. I don't have time for that. I've already run Memtest86+
for 24 hours with no errors.

I'm having occasional freeze/reboot problems when I'm running a
particular program (Newsleecher 3.9b11). And I need to make sure my
computer isn't at fault before I start pointing fingers.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Larc

Sounds more like a problem of the program. Anyway, grab a 3D mark '06 and
run it. IMO, nothing tortures the PC more than cutting edge 3D games.

Old January 18th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Spajky

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:37:15 -0500, Larc
wrote:

a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test?

4 CPU only
CpuBurn4 suite with detailed explained its behaviour
http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html#stress
already prepaired 16kb test
http://users.volja.net/jerman55/Burn-In.zip
--
Regards , SPAJKY ®
mail addr. @ my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
Old January 18th 08, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

wrote:

a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test?

4 CPU only
CpuBurn4 suite with detailed explained its behaviour
http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html#stress
already prepaired 16kb test
http://users.volja.net/jerman55/Burn-In.zip

Thanks very much, Spajky. I just ran the test, but am not sure how
much it really stressed my CPU. It ran for a little over 21 minutes
of the suggested 15 to 20 minutes and the highest the temp got was 44C
only once and for no more than a second. It mainly stayed in the 39
to 41C range. But that's considerably higher than the temp ever gets
when I'm running the program I'm having the freeze/reboot problem
with.

Of course there were no errors in the 500+ MB zip file of MP3s I
checked four times immediately after the test.

Actually, I've seen temps a couple of degrees higher when I'm running
VirtualDub to process movies. Maybe that's a good enough stress test?

This CPU tends to run rather cool, though. It usually idles in the 22
to 24C range per SpeedFan.

Larc

Old January 18th 08, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bhagat Gurtu

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:37:15 -0500, Larc wrote:

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but a search turned up nothing.
What's a good (hopefully free) computer hardware stress test? I
downloaded Prime95, but instructions are about as clear as mud (run it
on the Internet or not?). Also, there's mention of running it for
days on end. I don't have time for that. I've already run Memtest86+
for 24 hours with no errors.

I'm having occasional freeze/reboot problems when I'm running a
particular program (Newsleecher 3.9b11). And I need to make sure my
computer isn't at fault before I start pointing fingers.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Larc

Probably a buggy application if it is only happening with a news reader.
It will most likely be a threading ****up with the the network APIs.