2.4Ghz P4 Xeon 400mhz, CPU Temp Ranges

Old February 2nd 04, 05:36 PM
Duncan, Eric A.

Default 2.4Ghz P4 Xeon 400mhz, CPU Temp Ranges

So what is the normal cpu temp range for these CPUs? Or what are the
temps your guys are seeing/running?

It's the 0.13 micron style (can't remember name) that maxes at 2.4Ghz,
400mhz FSB. Running Rambus PC800 EEC. I have a dual board, but only
1 cpu for right now (with HT on though).

At idle in room temp, it sits around 27C and never have seen it get
above 30C while playing some games and some misc applications.

I then downloaded some good 3D Benchmarking and PCMark software
packages to test out my machine. The PCMark was excellent, as it
recognized the Hyperthreading and tested it. The 3D Benchmarking
software I like the best as it fully tested "single" CPU mode and
"dual CPU" mode, with my HT turned on. The application treated my
machine as I had two CPUs and did two seperate tests for "multi-cpu"
and "single-cpu". Those reports were impressive (18% increase in CPU
processing with HT on and both CPUs, and only an 3.4% increase with HT
turned off when compared to the single CPU operation of HT
beforehand!), but that's another topic.

During these tests, my CPU temp shot up bigtime. It got as high as
51C! Is this normal? For jumping up so much during CPU load?

I'm using the Supermicro fan and heatsinks that came with the P4DC6
mobo I have ('cause I originally had OEM cpus before, which required
the fans). With the P4 2.4Ghz upgrade (Intel Retail, for warranty) I
couldn't use the heatsink with the fan adapters/pins holding the oem
supermicro fan base on the motherboard (a bitch to remove!). I plan
to move to the Intel heatsink and fan (can't use the wind-tunnel
design due to motherboard and case design, will have to be blown in
from the top).

Are these temps ok? Seems to be since I see a lot of Athlons running
at those temps at idle. And also since the bios doesn't call for an
alarm until 88C. Just wondering what CPU temps you guys (and gals)
are seeing.

Thanks,
Eric
Old February 2nd 04, 06:09 PM
kony

On 2 Feb 2004 09:36:56 -0800, (Duncan, Eric A.) wrote:

So what is the normal cpu temp range for these CPUs? Or what are the
temps your guys are seeing/running?

It does not matter, so long as it's stable. A CPU is designed to
operate within specs, and that's all. You would be wise to never
again spend a moment considering CPU temp, but rather the temp of
components with more significant lifespan reduction coinciding with
temp rise, and the lifespan of mechanical parts.

It's the 0.13 micron style (can't remember name) that maxes at 2.4Ghz,
400mhz FSB. Running Rambus PC800 EEC. I have a dual board, but only
1 cpu for right now (with HT on though).

At idle in room temp, it sits around 27C and never have seen it get
above 30C while playing some games and some misc applications.

.... because the CPU wasn't the most significant bottleneck, it was
never near full load for sustained period.

During these tests, my CPU temp shot up bigtime. It got as high as
51C! Is this normal? For jumping up so much during CPU load?

It is a sign there was more CPU utilization during that period of
time, such that more heat built up. Ambient temp, case ventilation,
motherboard temp interpretation/accuracy per bios revision, and even
variations in the surface of a heatsink will affect reported temps.
Your temps look typical, expected, but there isn't necessarily a
"normal" temp considering all possible variables.

More important to the user may be fan noise and lifespan.
The lower the airflow, the lower the dust buildup, the lower the
noise, the longer the fan lasts. Unlike what the "kiddies" would like
to brag about, it's usually counterproductive to make an effort to
lower CPU temps if it was already stable at highest ambient temp the
environment will see, at full load.

I'm using the Supermicro fan and heatsinks that came with the P4DC6
mobo I have ('cause I originally had OEM cpus before, which required
the fans). With the P4 2.4Ghz upgrade (Intel Retail, for warranty) I
couldn't use the heatsink with the fan adapters/pins holding the oem
supermicro fan base on the motherboard (a bitch to remove!). I plan
to move to the Intel heatsink and fan (can't use the wind-tunnel
design due to motherboard and case design, will have to be blown in
from the top).

Are these temps ok? Seems to be since I see a lot of Athlons running
at those temps at idle. And also since the bios doesn't call for an
alarm until 88C. Just wondering what CPU temps you guys (and gals)
are seeing.

The BIOS alarm temp is an arbitrary one, it is probably above stable
full-speed operational temp but significantly below a (short-term)
damaging temp. Further considering that the P4 will throttle back at
elevated temps, it doesn't matter what the temp is so long as it's
stable and within the upper limits provided by the manufacturer, which
yours is by a wide margin.
Old February 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
DaveinOlyWa

51 degrees is like wow...

are you sure that is 88 C?

that is like 180 F....

i would be worried if i were you. also as far as cpu temp alarms, most
systems ive seen lock up before the alarm has a chance to go off.

i monitor my system and the temp runs as high as 35C in the summer
time but the normal temp is usually about 28-30.

but mine is overcooled and overclocked.

imho, you are pushing your luck