picking a board

Old July 1st 03, 03:34 PM
Kenneth A Kauffman

Default picking a board

"Steve Andrews" wrote in message
y.com...
Absolutley. Get an A7N8X Deluxe. It can support the newest AMD barton core
procs, has dual channel DDR memory, a built in 5.1 sound, two(2) LAN

ports,
USB2.0, Firewire, a talking POST reporter at boot time, and the chipset
(nForce2) is one of the hottest out right now for AMD. It's a little

pricey
(135.00), but the built in features REALLY offset that price tag. Just

make
shure to get good qaulity DDR sticks ( I went with Corsair XMS3200 ). It

is
an awsome mobo !

"kevin tass" wrote in message
hi,
can anyone suggest a good asus board for a 900 or more mhz cpu? i have a
case with a 250 power supply. i get motherboards fron newegg.com and

they
have alot to choose from. any suggestion will be helpful. thanks

kevin

FYI: I noticed this is the board that AlienWare selects for their gaming
systems.

ken k

Old July 2nd 03, 02:22 PM
Ben Pope

kevin tass wrote:
hi,
can anyone suggest a good asus board for a 900 or more mhz cpu? i
have a case with a 250 power supply. i get motherboards fron
newegg.com and they have alot to choose from. any suggestion will be
helpful. thanks

900MHz or more? Hmm. When you say 900, I presume you're talking a bout an
existing processor you have?

Is it Slot 1, Socket 370, Slot A, Socket A...

Presumably if you're keeping your CPU, you'll be keeping your RAM? What
type is it? PC100? PC133?

I can't recommend buying a board for an old processor, unless you really are
on a budget and your existing motherboard has died. Since the 900MHz
processors, RAM has changed to DDR and sockets and slots have all changed.

Ben

Old July 3rd 03, 07:44 AM
kevin tass

hi,
it is a 900mhz duron. socket A cpu. the cpu is one i bought recently. the
memory is PC100. thanks for all the help
kevin