is the stock cooler from AMD bad?

Old June 4th 06, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default is the stock cooler from AMD bad?

I just got a A64 3500 AM2 chip, I wrongly assumed
that heat sink companies would more quickly
adapt to the new socket and have more selection
of AM2 capable sinks. So far I just see a few
which seems kind of odd because as far as the
heat sink is concerned, it's just a minor
change in where the mount holes are for the
AM2 vs the old 939.

I want to put this machine together now so I
guess I can use the stock sink that AMD
put in the box until the 3rd party companies have
AM2 capable sinks, I'm just wondering about how
loud it will be. Anyone have some experience
with them, I always went right to a good 3rd
party cooler like the Zalman 7000AlCu since
they're so quiet so I have no idea what the
stock one will do.
Mark
Old June 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

If it's too loud put a Zalman FanMate on it and turn it down a bit, checking
the temperature while running something that uses 100% cpu, such as the
Prime95 torture test. Or get a fan adapter and put a big quiet fan on it.

Also the heatsinks that just attach to the two lugs (or whatever those are)
on K8's will go on the AM2.

Here are some recommended models but you'll have to see if any clip on by
two lugs.

I think you can get by with the stock heat sink (or even make it quiet
enough) until AM2 models of quiet heatsinks that screw down come out.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 4th 06, 11:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

In article VSpgg.3015$td6.2108@trnddc02, Mark S. says...

I just got a A64 3500 AM2 chip, I wrongly assumed
that heat sink companies would more quickly
adapt to the new socket and have more selection
of AM2 capable sinks. So far I just see a few
which seems kind of odd because as far as the
heat sink is concerned, it's just a minor
change in where the mount holes are for the
AM2 vs the old 939.

I want to put this machine together now so I
guess I can use the stock sink that AMD
put in the box until the 3rd party companies have
AM2 capable sinks, I'm just wondering about how
loud it will be. Anyone have some experience
with them, I always went right to a good 3rd
party cooler like the Zalman 7000AlCu since
they're so quiet so I have no idea what the
stock one will do.
Mark

The one on my AMD64 3500 seems very quiet.

--
Conor,
Grumpy Old Man.
Old June 4th 06, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Mark S. wrote:

I just got a A64 3500 AM2 chip, I wrongly assumed
that heat sink companies would more quickly
adapt to the new socket and have more selection
of AM2 capable sinks. So far I just see a few
which seems kind of odd because as far as the
heat sink is concerned, it's just a minor
change in where the mount holes are for the
AM2 vs the old 939.

I want to put this machine together now so I
guess I can use the stock sink that AMD
put in the box until the 3rd party companies have
AM2 capable sinks, I'm just wondering about how
loud it will be. Anyone have some experience
with them, I always went right to a good 3rd
party cooler like the Zalman 7000AlCu since
they're so quiet so I have no idea what the
stock one will do.
Mark

I have several A64 processors all using the stock HSF. All run quiet
and all run cool.

From the reports I've read, the stock units are good even if the CPUs
are overclocked somewhat. It seems only when the CPUs are overclocked
to near their limits that more robust heat sink / fan assemblies re needed.

Old June 4th 06, 04:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

MS- [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:32:53 GMT]:
they're so quiet so I have no idea what the
stock one will do.

According to this

http://www17.tomshardware.com/2006/0...md_processors/

the stock AMD HSF beats pretty much everything
ever made, in noise and cooling. I did write
"pretty much".

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for mobiles
Old June 4th 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Actually, that first one doesn't show the AMD
box cooler to be as good as this test does:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1951476,00.asp

moi [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:03:01 GMT]:

Old June 4th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Ed Light wrote:

If it's too loud put a Zalman FanMate on it and turn it down a bit,
checking the temperature while running something that uses 100% cpu, such
as the Prime95 torture test. Or get a fan adapter and put a big quiet fan
on it.

Also the heatsinks that just attach to the two lugs (or whatever those
are) on K8's will go on the AM2.

Here are some recommended models but you'll have to see if any clip on by
two lugs.

I think you can get by with the stock heat sink (or even make it quiet
enough) until AM2 models of quiet heatsinks that screw down come out.

The AM2 stock coolers uses PVM for the fan control (4 wires and
not 3) and not the old voltage style control... you might not
want to try the fanmate with that.

If it's ok, I may just stay with the stock one, I just posted
to get an idea if I'd really want to switch right away or
just stay with the stock. The box will be on my desk (Antec NSK2400
case with the Athlon 64 3500 AM2 chip).
Mark
Old June 4th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

The AM2 stock coolers uses PVM for the fan control (4 wires and
not 3) and not the old voltage style control... you might not
want to try the fanmate with that.

Ah, some kind of pulse system. Quiet PC enthusiasts know that those can
cause a little fan buzzing. Maybe not enough to be noticed in all instances.
Perhaps it's selectable in the bios.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 5th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Mark S." wrote in message

I just got a A64 3500 AM2 chip, I wrongly assumed
that heat sink companies would more quickly
adapt to the new socket and have more selection
of AM2 capable sinks. So far I just see a few
which seems kind of odd because as far as the
heat sink is concerned, it's just a minor
change in where the mount holes are for the
AM2 vs the old 939.

I want to put this machine together now so I
guess I can use the stock sink that AMD
put in the box until the 3rd party companies have
AM2 capable sinks, I'm just wondering about how
loud it will be. Anyone have some experience
with them, I always went right to a good 3rd
party cooler like the Zalman 7000AlCu since
they're so quiet so I have no idea what the
stock one will do.
Mark

Mine's quiet and cools well. Fan case is louder than the CPU fan.

Art