OT but 80GB and W98SE

Old August 22nd 03, 11:53 AM
Den

Default OT but 80GB and W98SE

I have just installed a Maxtor 6Y080L0 using the Maxtor utilities
to format & partition, this seemed very quick and painless but if
I want to boot into DOS I cannot see the second drive contents.

Would using the up-rated fdisk (137GB max) while it may be a
longer format/partition process enable me to do this.

Sorry for OT post, but NG's for HD's seem to be lacking, and I
know that the larger HD's are used by people in this group.

Den

Old August 22nd 03, 02:55 PM
Gene Puhl

"Den" said:
:

I have just installed a Maxtor 6Y080L0 using the Maxtor utilities
to format & partition, this seemed very quick and painless but if
I want to boot into DOS I cannot see the second drive contents.

Would using the up-rated fdisk (137GB max) while it may be a
longer format/partition process enable me to do this.

Sorry for OT post, but NG's for HD's seem to be lacking, and I
know that the larger HD's are used by people in this group.

Den

How old is your motherboard? Possibly it requires a later BIOS that can
handle large HD's

--
Gene P
Old August 22nd 03, 03:48 PM
andrew

In article , Den Den@NoSpamOrNoCorne
dBeef.unlimited-But-Was-Limited.RIP writes
I have just installed a Maxtor 6Y080L0 using the Maxtor utilities
to format & partition, this seemed very quick and painless but if
I want to boot into DOS I cannot see the second drive contents.

Would using the up-rated fdisk (137GB max) while it may be a
longer format/partition process enable me to do this.

I had the same problem. Download Maxtors Win98 fdisk/format utility
(MaxBlast3). See

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow.../maxblast3.htm

for details and a link to the download.

The problem is due to the fact that the Win98SE has a 64Gb limit to it's
fdisk/formatting ability. Any drive that is above 64Gb fdisks to the
drive size minus 64Gb so in the case of an 80Gb drive it will format to
16Gb (80-64).

There is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article (263044) which describes
this at http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;263044

Microsoft give a fix for it, but it is just much easier and slicker to
use MaxBlast3 from Maxtor.

Andrew