MPG's go green?

Old December 29th 05, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default MPG's go green?

Evan Platt wrote:

Windows XP SP2, Nvidia GEForce FX5700 video card, latest drivers
downloaded from Nvidia about a week ago.

Playing MPG's in BSPlayer, the videos go green. It's random. Sometimes
3 seconds into the video, sometimes not at all, and even on the same
video, it may go green 10 seconds into it. Close it, reopen it, and
it's fine.

Can't quite figure out what occurred when this started, i.e. system
change made.

Any ideas/suggestions? Don't know what to start looking at or
changing.

First thing I'd do is jiggle the video cable at both ends and make sure that
it's not either loose or broken.

Thanks.

Evan

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 30th 05, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In message , Evan Platt
writes
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:11:03 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

First thing I'd do is jiggle the video cable at both ends and make sure that
it's not either loose or broken.

I thought of something like that, but the video is playing in a
window, not full screen. Everything else is fine, I can alt-tab back
and forth, but only the video is green.

Sounds like a problem we had with 3 older monitors at work, the PC was
OK in normal use for a short while until we started putting anything to
the monitor with any significant movement on screen, then it would go
green after a short while, also occasionally at other times.

Unplugged the cable from the back of the monitor and a pin was actually
slightly bent, straightened it and it was fine.

The 2nd one we thought had done the same, but it wasn't. The cable must
have had a broken wire or dry joint (cable was between the wall and the
edge of a desk...) Replaced the cable between graphics card & monitor
and it worked fine.

3rd one the monitor was buggered, had to get it repaired. Dry joint in
the input connector which we think had been worsened by the monitor
being plugged / unplugged a lot as a spare unit for people.

Hope this helps you look in the right direction.

Neil.
--
Neil J Bundy
Old January 1st 06, 01:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In message , Evan Platt
writes
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:26:09 +0000, Neil J Bundy
wrote:

[...]

Well, this was a used monitor. I'd be willing to put the old one back
on if it weren't a PITA based on my desk layout (lazy yeah yeah).

Let me also clarify, if I watch a video in a window, only the window
goes green. Anything in the background (i.e. my desktop or e-mail app)
is fine.
Also, when it happens, my video player seems to lag - I get an
hourglass, system seems to slow. It also occurs in WMP.

On the basis that it's just the window, sounds like a codec issue. Other
posters have mentioned this, best follow their advice I think.

Good luck,

Neil.

--
Neil J Bundy
Old January 6th 06, 12:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

What drivers and video card are you using?
This may have something to do with the AA and AF settings in your Nvidia
properties.
Sounds strange, but I do know there where a few sets of drivers that did
this.
Try turing the default Global Driver Settings for AA and AF to OFF and see
what happens.