How to get IE to play youtube videos?

Old January 31st 08, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default How to get IE to play youtube videos?

I download the flash player but IE7 doesn't
play the videos, complaining that either I don't
have the player or don't have javascript on.

Where is the Javascript option? I don't see it.

(usually use Firefox but that's another machine)

Seems to be a stock condition of Dell laptops.

Old January 31st 08, 11:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:18:26 -0500, Ron Hardin
wrote:

I download the flash player but IE7 doesn't
play the videos, complaining that either I don't
have the player or don't have javascript on.

Where is the Javascript option? I don't see it.

(usually use Firefox but that's another machine)

Seems to be a stock condition of Dell laptops.

IE 7 playes YouTube just find on my Dell PCs including laptops with
Vista (but wait... maybe I did fresh installs on all of them, I don't
remember).

It's no surprise you can't find the Javascript option. Microsoft,
unfathomably (word of the day), unbelievably, shockingly, alarmingly,
totally violated user-interface conventions and put out a monstrosity
of a poorly designed interface. It boggles my mind how they could do
that, and how such a design could make it through marketing tests,
development, and be released.

Some chinks in MS's armor, I hope the competition capitalizes on it
because MS must know its weaknesses and future versions of both
Windoze and IE will probably be much better. If not, much more the
better, I'd love to see MS flounder even more.

You might find what you want if you go to the far right drop down
"Tools" menu, go to the far bottom and choose Internet options, then
choose the Advanced tab which is the farthest to the right, and go
through all the little hard-to-read checkboxes to maybe get the option
you want.

Gee, do you think it could be hidden any better?
Old February 1st 08, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:59:06 -0600, Journey wrote:

Some chinks in MS's armor, I hope the competition capitalizes on it
because MS must know its weaknesses and future versions of both
Windoze and IE will probably be much better. If not, much more the
better, I'd love to see MS flounder even more.

I am not at all impressed with Steve Ballmer. If he truly is at the
helm of MS, god help them.
Old February 1st 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

It's no surprise you can't find the Javascript option

Not since the Java lawsuit that Sun won, where M$ were trying to
subvert someone elses' standards and make them their own by the
backdoor (adding "features" that didn't comply, and only worked in
IE...)
Old February 1st 08, 12:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I download the flash player but IE7 doesn't
play the videos, complaining that either I don't
have the player or don't have javascript on.

Where is the Javascript option? I don't see it.

(usually use Firefox but that's another machine)

Seems to be a stock condition of Dell laptops.

If you have both Flash and JRE (java runtime environment) downloaded and
installed, no reason it shouldn't work.....

?

Stew

Old February 1st 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Old February 1st 08, 01:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:59 PM

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I download the flash player but IE7 doesn't
play the videos, complaining that either I don't
have the player or don't have javascript on.

Where is the Javascript option? I don't see it.

(usually use Firefox but that's another machine)

Seems to be a stock condition of Dell laptops.

If you have both Flash and JRE (java runtime environment) downloaded
and
installed, no reason it shouldn't work.....

?

Stew

Far as I know, youtube doesn't require Java or the JRE

Old February 1st 08, 01:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

Default (OT) How to get IE to play youtube videos?

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
I download the flash player but IE7 doesn't
play the videos, complaining that either I don't
have the player or don't have javascript on.

Where is the Javascript option? I don't see it.

(usually use Firefox but that's another machine)

Seems to be a stock condition of Dell laptops.

If you have both Flash and JRE (java runtime environment) downloaded
and
installed, no reason it shouldn't work.....

?

Stew

Far as I know, youtube doesn't require Java or the JRE

Agreed. Should be a Flash only issue. I don't recall any security measures
in IE7 that need enabled/disabled either.

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade the ATI HD2400/128mb card in my XPS420.

I don't game much but would like to have moderate abilities to do so; I'm
looking at 8600GT/GTS models, 256mb with GDDR3 and GPU speeds of around
600mhz.

I have no intention of grabbing any 8800 models, as for me that would be
overkill.

Opinion?

Thanks,

Stew

Old February 1st 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Agreed. Should be a Flash only issue. I don't recall any security
measures
in IE7 that need enabled/disabled either.

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade the ATI HD2400/128mb card in my XPS420.

I don't game much but would like to have moderate abilities to do so;
I'm
looking at 8600GT/GTS models, 256mb with GDDR3 and GPU speeds of

around
600mhz.

I have no intention of grabbing any 8800 models, as for me that would
be
overkill.

Opinion?

Thanks,

Stew

What can't you do with the 2400? These days video cards are like CPUs.
All pretty powerful.

That said, I have the 8600GS and it works quite well, but I don't game.

Old February 1st 08, 02:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:02:29 -0600, Journey wrote:

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:59:06 -0600, Journey wrote:

Some chinks in MS's armor, I hope the competition capitalizes on it
because MS must know its weaknesses and future versions of both
Windoze and IE will probably be much better. If not, much more the
better, I'd love to see MS flounder even more.

I am not at all impressed with Steve Ballmer. If he truly is at the
helm of MS, god help them.

Neither am I. I don't like his demeanor even if that's simplistic.

IntelVlog at YouTube Intel 0 September 28th 06 03:42 PM
Problem; cannot see 'videos' play on TV (yet they appear OK on the monitor) using "Clone" view... (fixed this once before, on another system, cannot figure it out now). VIDiot Nvidia Videocards 4 March 12th 05 05:14 PM
Can't get PoweDVD 5 to play videos onto my TV. [email protected] Ati Videocards 2 October 12th 03 11:57 PM