Wireless KB - no Numlock indicator

Old May 28th 08, 10:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Default Wireless KB - no Numlock indicator

"Ian D" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
For my new PC I chose a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. A poor
choice now that I realise it obviously has no Numlock LED indicator
due to the battery limitation.

I've just installed MS Flight Simulator, a birthday present from my
son. Its flying controls vary significantly depending on whether
Numlock is enabled or not. Anyone know of a simple way I can access
the Numlock status please? I could then write a macro to toggle a
small message window. Or maybe there's a freeware program that does
this simple job? That would be marginally preferable to pressing
Numlock to see what happens to my aircraft ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Did you install the Logitech Setpoint drivers? An on screen message
is displayed when Capslock, Numlock, F mode, etc are toggled. Also,
MSFS is run with Numlock off, so you could set the BIOS to make
that the default.

Guess I didn't then, as I get no such messages. But the tool suggested
by GlowingBlueMist does the job even better.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 28th 08, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

kony wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:05:06 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

For my new PC I chose a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. A poor
choice now that I realise it obviously has no Numlock LED indicator
due to the battery limitation.

I've just installed MS Flight Simulator, a birthday present from my
son. Its flying controls vary significantly depending on whether
Numlock is enabled or not. Anyone know of a simple way I can access
the Numlock status please? I could then write a macro to toggle a
small message window. Or maybe there's a freeware program that does
this simple job? That would be marginally preferable to pressing
Numlock to see what happens to my aircraft ;-)

Can your macro do this on an overlay as the game is using?
If not it would seem likely the game screen would minimize
destroying the playability.

Therefore I suspect it would have to be an indicator inbuilt
to the game code, and that the easiest solution would be
having a second keyboard around for gaming. Wired keyboards
also have less lag making game control more responsive,
though I suspect it matters less on Flight Simulator than it
might on some fast(er) paced games.

Before seeing GlowingBlueMist's suggestion and installing that handy
tool I actually got stuck in and wrote the macro, which works fine. On
using a hotkey combination (had to look hard for one still unused by
FSX!) it pops up a small message window headed 'NUMLOCK Status'
containing either 'ON' or 'OFF', and I then hit Enter (or click OK) to
close it. That appears on top of whatever FSX window is active.

I found it quite helpful, especially as I'm a raw FSX beginner (and
have also installed an add-on called DBS Walk And Follow which also
makes use of NumPad, but quite differently to FSX!), but it's now
redundant of course. It's far better to see the status at a glance at
any time. Could have used that couple of hours yesterday learning to
fly instead ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 28th 08, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
GlowingBlueMist

"GlowingBlueMist" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
. ..
For my new PC I chose a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. A poor
choice now that I realise it obviously has no Numlock LED indicator
due to the battery limitation.

I've just installed MS Flight Simulator, a birthday present from my
son. Its flying controls vary significantly depending on whether
Numlock is enabled or not. Anyone know of a simple way I can access
the Numlock status please? I could then write a macro to toggle a
small message window. Or maybe there's a freeware program that does
this simple job? That would be marginally preferable to pressing
Numlock to see what happens to my aircraft ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I have not tried this program but here is a link to a freeware program
that
puts indicators in the system tray, next to the clock, that might help you
out. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/systrayindicator.html

Exactly what I wanted, thank you!

(At present, directly after installation, all 3 indicators - Num Lock,
Caps Lock and Scroll Lock - are together in System Tray, at the left
of the existing ones. That's ideal, so hope that arrangement survives
reboots.)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If the program needs to be started each time you reboot and it is a .COM or
..EXE program you can put a shortcut to it in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\(your user account name)\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup" folder and it will be run every time your computer
gets rebooted. This will activate the program for just this user profile.

If you want it to be run regardless of which user logs into the system you
would put it in the startup folder of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" folder.

Old May 29th 08, 07:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

"GlowingBlueMist" wrote:

[...]

Thanks. It's odd. In the settings for Systray Indicator I had
yesterday enabled 'Launch Systray Indicator at Windows startup'. This
morning my PC had rebooted automatically (to complete a Windows
Update) but the 3 tray icons were not displayed. (I have re-displayed
them by re-starting Systray Indicator.)

The option is still enabled, but it has not placed an entry in either
of the Startup folders. Nor can I see it in Autoruns. I've emailed the
author, as that seems a minr bug. I'll add it to Startup (all) myself.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old May 30th 08, 10:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell

"K3" wrote:

Have you tried "NumCapsScroll Indicator"

http://www.vasileios.gr/freesoft/num_caps_scroll.htm

What I like most is that it's a single icon (instead of three) in the
systray .

Great, thanks Kendall, that's even better. Duly installed, replacing
SystemTray Indicator.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 30th 08, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
H-Man

On Tue, 27 May 2008 11:05:06 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

For my new PC I chose a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. A poor
choice now that I realise it obviously has no Numlock LED indicator
due to the battery limitation.

I've just installed MS Flight Simulator, a birthday present from my
son. Its flying controls vary significantly depending on whether
Numlock is enabled or not. Anyone know of a simple way I can access
the Numlock status please? I could then write a macro to toggle a
small message window. Or maybe there's a freeware program that does
this simple job? That would be marginally preferable to pressing
Numlock to see what happens to my aircraft ;-)

I had the same problem, only with the capslock. We are using an
accounting/business package that requires we use caps for everything. Don't
ask, it's a PITA but the package works really well. I wrote a program that
allows one to turn caps on or off as is required. We start our program from
a batch file then that sets the key state first and then calls the program,
and turns caps off on exit.

If you think this would be helpful I could reprogram for NumLock, it
wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do. This way you'd be sure the
NumLock is set before the program starts, should be transparent to you
then. Let me know if this is something you'd like and I'll work it up as
soon as I can.

--
HK
Old May 30th 08, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

H-Man wrote:

[...]

Thanks H-Man, appreciate the kind offer. You probably missed K3's
suggestion and my reply. That neat little program is doing the job
sweetly here.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old May 30th 08, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
badgolferman

kony, 5/27/2008,12:12:53 PM, wrote:

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:25:01 -0400, "badgolferman"
wrote:

This is exactly the way my Microsoft wireless keyboard operates.
There is an onscreen display the comes on momentarily to show the
CAPS LOCK on NUM LOCK has been depressed. I haven't changed the
batteries in the keyboard or mouse since I bought the set, been
more than 6 months. My only gripe is there is no way to enter the
BIOS or SAFE MODE without a wired keyboard.

No board should need a wired keyboard for bios or safe mode.
See if there is a USB keyboard setting in the bios, and if
not you should be able to use a wireless PS2 (or some USB
keyboards can use a PS2-USB adapter).

Uhh, how do I get in the BIOS with my keyboard now?
Old May 30th 08, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
kony

wrote:

This is exactly the way my Microsoft wireless keyboard operates.
There is an onscreen display the comes on momentarily to show the
CAPS LOCK on NUM LOCK has been depressed. I haven't changed the
batteries in the keyboard or mouse since I bought the set, been
more than 6 months. My only gripe is there is no way to enter the
BIOS or SAFE MODE without a wired keyboard.

No board should need a wired keyboard for bios or safe mode.
See if there is a USB keyboard setting in the bios, and if
not you should be able to use a wireless PS2 (or some USB
keyboards can use a PS2-USB adapter).

Uhh, how do I get in the BIOS with my keyboard now?

That's the catch, you have to hook up another keyboard to do
it, assuming the bios has such a setting which has been
fairly common for the past few years, or if you have a PS2
adapter and the keyboard can use one, try that.
Old May 30th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.freeware
H-Man

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:28:46 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

H-Man wrote:

[...]

Okay, no sweat.

I modified the program I had done earlier to cover the num lock and scroll
lock keys anyway. It started out as a simple play exercise.

If you started the Flight Simulator with a batch file or a cmd script, you
could guarantee that the NUMLOCK was definitely off when you started the
program, you would not have to make the adjustment. Either way, if you have
a solution that works for you, that is the main thing.

Cheers, have a great weekend.

--
HK