access to hard drive not recognised by bios

Old August 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peyoting

Default access to hard drive not recognised by bios

I've a hard drive that began to fail, sometimes bios recognised it and SO
began to boot, but next to it system reboots.

Now none computer find it. I'm think that hd don't spin, because i dont
listen noise.

any tool could access to hd without bios support ?

the hd is a western digital caviar 40gb ide.

Old August 8th 06, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peyoting

is possible change the hd electronic board for other (same hd model)?

i want recover data and after it i will buy a new hd

Old August 8th 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 13:58:56 GMT, "peyoting"
wrote:

"peyoting" escribió en el mensaje
. es...
I've a hard drive that began to fail, sometimes bios recognised it and SO
began to boot, but next to it system reboots.

Now none computer find it. I'm think that hd don't spin, because i dont
listen noise.

any tool could access to hd without bios support ?

the hd is a western digital caviar 40gb ide.

is possible change the hd electronic board for other (same hd model)?

i want recover data and after it i will buy a new hd

You need another hard drive or another entire system with a
HDD already in it, that other HDD having enough free space
to hold all the data you need to get off of the failing
drive.

The other hard drive or entire other system is used to run
the operating system you will use to copy off the data and
your failing drive is only used passively- as storage, not
to boot the operating system.

If the bios can't detect the failing drive AND you are sure
it is the drive failing and not a bios or motherboard
problem, then no other readily available tool could do it
either as they would have to do the same thing the bios
does, communicate with the hard drive which is not
functioning correctly.

You would try to boot the system and if/when you get the HDD
to detect, you then copy off as much data as you can as it
might fail at any moment. You should refrain from trying to
use the drive at all, don't even have it powered at all,
until you have the other system or hard drive set up and
working.
Old August 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

peyoting wrote:

is possible change the hd electronic board for other (same hd model)?

Yes, but that doesnt always work.

i want recover data and after it i will buy a new hd

You can also use a recovery operation like www.retrodata.co.uk,
the price isnt as bad as the worst of them.

peyoting wrote

I've a hard drive that began to fail, sometimes bios recognised it and SO began to
boot, but next to it system reboots.

Now none computer find it. I'm think that hd don't spin, because i dont listen noise.

any tool could access to hd without bios support ?

If it doesnt spin up, no software can access the data.

the hd is a western digital caviar 40gb ide.

Old August 9th 06, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alan Kakareka

If it doesnt spin up, no software can access the data.

absolutely true.

p.s. rod speed, gavarish po ruski ?

--
Alan Kakareka
Data Recovery Service

Old August 9th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Alan Kakareka wrote:

If it doesnt spin up, no software can access the data.

absolutely true.

p.s. rod speed, gavarish po ruski ?

Fraid not.

--
Alan Kakareka
Data Recovery Service

Old August 9th 06, 07:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peyoting

I have some question about the hd electronic part:

the bios communicate with hd trough mainboard ide controller, its possible
send commands to ide controller or view the process of detection of hd?

are there cmos or flash or other rewritable chip?

Always i hd a bad hd it made a "klok noise when spin up" but make no noise.

Today i going to try put another electronic board from other hd.

thnks

Old August 9th 06, 07:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

peyoting wrote:

I have some question about the hd electronic part:

the bios communicate with hd trough mainboard ide controller,

Yes.

its possible send commands to ide controller

Not unless you write the code to do that.

or view the process of detection of hd?

Npe.

are there cmos or flash or other rewritable chip?

Yes, there drive is usually flashable, or at
least has the firmware on the the platters.

Always i hd a bad hd it made a "klok noise when spin up"

Thats the drive recalibrating.

but make no noise.

Thats not usual if it doesnt spin up at all.

Old August 9th 06, 08:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peyoting

I 've changed the electronic board with positive result.
Now the hd is running and i'm copying important data to other hd, and after
it i will send the bad hd to vendor.

My hd is a western digital WD400, and in the bad board i don't see any fuse
or chip burned...my good luck is having another same model hd

Old August 9th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alan Kakareka

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
peyoting wrote:

I have some question about the hd electronic part:

the bios communicate with hd trough mainboard ide controller,

Yes.

its possible send commands to ide controller

Not unless you write the code to do that.

or view the process of detection of hd?

Npe.

Yes,
Seagate, Toshiba - easily, with built in TMOS, other brands - more complex

are there cmos or flash or other rewritable chip?

Yes, there drive is usually flashable, or at
least has the firmware on the the platters.

There are serial, parallel flashes, firmware is on the platters, HDD`s
microprocessor and inside flash

Always i hd a bad hd it made a "klok noise when spin up"

Thats the drive recalibrating.

but make no noise.

??????

HDD recalibrates when powered on, later it constantly recalibrates according
to working temperature

Thats not usual if it doesnt spin up at all.

Today i going to try put another electronic board from other hd.

good,
let us know when you have any news.

--
Alan Kakareka