Ebuyer - are they acting legally

Old July 15th 03, 06:59 PM
Chris Melluish

OK, it looks like I am stuck paying the postage.
I have learnt my lesson, and will buy from local shops in future even if it
costs a few pounds more.

My other query was their refusal to give me a refund because it is over 30
days old - it is in fact about three months since I bought it. I thought I
was entitled to a refund rather than a replacement as it has failed well
within the warranty period.

--
Chris Melluish

Old July 15th 03, 07:19 PM
Tony Sutton

"Chris Melluish" wrote in message

My other query was their refusal to give me a refund because it is over 30
days old - it is in fact about three months since I bought it. I thought I
was entitled to a refund rather than a replacement as it has failed well
within the warranty period.

But ebuyer did not make it, thye just sell it. So what has it got to do with
them?

Ebuyer just offers 30 days warranty/replacement. Once it's over the limit,
you need to contact the maker directly.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old July 15th 03, 07:37 PM
Chris Melluish

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

snip

The relevant bit of legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979
(as amended by SSGCR 2002) which came into effect on Mar 31st and
covers contracts entered into before that date.

snip

Thanks. Just what I wanted to beat Ebuyer over the head with.

--
Chris Melluish

Old July 15th 03, 07:43 PM
News Reader

Ebuyerdotcon,

Nice to see you are still representing and supporting the sane consumer!

Keep up the good work.

P.s. Ebuyer are a profit making company - you don't have to justify their
methods of improving their margins. Theoretically, the consumer is meant to
encourage a company to provide higher service levels whilst demanding
reductions in cost (i.e. margins). Therefore, concepts such as refunds as
well as replacements, return carriage / collection paid for, etc. should be
encouraged and requested. Your consumer influence should be used to your
advantage not just for improving the profits of others and agrevating others
(e.g. attacking ebuyerdotcon for trying to improve things for everyone).

Old July 15th 03, 08:20 PM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:41:59 +0100, "Nukleuz"
wrote:

"EBuyerdotcon" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:19:16 +0100, "Chris Melluish"
wrote:

I foolishly bought several items, including a Seagate hard disk, from

Ebuyer
a few months ago.

snip

This is what happens when you purchase items from ebuyer. If you'd
bought it anywhere else I very much doubt the drive would have expired
within 30 days.

EBuyerdotcon "Made the wrong choice, didn't you?"
www.ebuyerdotcon.co.uk

its a pity you didnt finish school mrknowitall isnt it then you could read

The first rule to observe when criticising anybody's reading or
writing standards is to ensure that your own are beyond reproach.

MJ
Old July 15th 03, 08:29 PM
Trev

"Chris Melluish" wrote in message

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

snip

The relevant bit of legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979
(as amended by SSGCR 2002) which came into effect on Mar 31st and
covers contracts entered into before that date.

snip

Thanks. Just what I wanted to beat Ebuyer over the head with.

What! There is nothing there to change the situation. You have to return
the drive to either Ebuyer or Seagate. Posting it to ebuyer will cause a
delay as they in turn will post it to Seagate. Nether will charge you return
postage. But you need to return the drive by post or if you want Taxi. But
your going to pay that cost.

Old July 15th 03, 10:17 PM
Chris Melluish

"Trev" trevbowden@claranetREMOVEuk wrote in message

"Chris Melluish" wrote in message

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

snip

The relevant bit of legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979
(as amended by SSGCR 2002) which came into effect on Mar 31st and
covers contracts entered into before that date.

snip

Thanks. Just what I wanted to beat Ebuyer over the head with.

What! There is nothing there to change the situation. You have to return
the drive to either Ebuyer or Seagate. Posting it to ebuyer will cause a
delay as they in turn will post it to Seagate. Nether will charge you

return
postage. But you need to return the drive by post or if you want Taxi. But
your going to pay that cost.

Are you saying that although Ebuyer are breaking the law Trading Standards
will not be interested?

--
Chris Melluish

Old July 15th 03, 11:27 PM
EBuyerdotcon

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:45:18 +0100, Paul Hopwood
wrote:

(EBuyerdotcon) wrote:

This is what happens when you purchase items from ebuyer. If you'd
bought it anywhere else I very much doubt the drive would have expired
within 30 days.

Ok, you have a habit of writing some pretty bloody stupid things, but
this has to be one of your most ridiculous remarks to date!

Why on earth is a Seagate drive purchased from ebuyer any more likely
to fail than the same drive brought elsewhere?

You just have to have me spell it out for you, don't you?

Due to lazy warehouse staff dropping items and then packaging them up
damaged or broken,
due to where they purchase their stock from,
and because it's quite simply less likely to happen if you purchase
the same item elsewhere because care is taken in the packaging
process.

There is nothing stupid about my remark. I'm well aware tech items
fail, but ordering from ebuyer don't exactly help the consumer.

Old July 15th 03, 11:28 PM
EBuyerdotcon

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:31:31 +0100, "Trev"
trevbowden@claranetREMOVEuk wrote:

Are you saying that although Ebuyer are breaking the law Trading Standards
will not be interested?

I'm saying there not breaking the law. I'm saying your interpretation is
wrong

Insightful trev, insightful!