What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

Old July 2nd 10, 03:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want to
disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and so
must close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling tap
to click does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?
Old July 2nd 10, 05:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mark Opolo

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want to
disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and so must
close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling tap to click
does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

a Precision M60 with no problems. It joined my wireless network immediately

Old July 2nd 10, 03:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

On 7/2/2010 12:43 AM, Mark Opolo wrote:
"Christopher wrote in message
i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want to
disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and so must
close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling tap to click
does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

a Precision M60 with no problems. It joined my wireless network immediately

....a Dimension 4500 (ca. 2002) with a P4-2.26 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM
and a mediocre 256MB video card...dual-booted with Windows XP. The
install was effortless and Windows 7 (Enterprise) actually ran faster
than Windows XP on the same hardware (and with the same software.)

In fact, my current Studio XPS 8100 (ca. 2010) with Windows 7
(Professional) doesn't run any faster. Evidentally, most of my processor
cores were sitting around with nothing to do, as was most of my RAM.

Then I heard about virtual machines...
--
Daddy
Old July 2nd 10, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
David Arnstein

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

I installed Windows 7 Professional on a Dimension XPS 710. Dell does
not support this, so it was a hassle.

Most computer pundits advise against upgrading Microsoft operating
systems. The consensus is that it is safer to do a clean install of the
new operating system, and then re-install all your software, and (somehow)
migrate all of your data and settings. I did not follow this advice.
Too much work!

The only problem I encountered was that the Nvidia RAID controller on
the motherboard is not supported in Windows 7. So I did the following.

1. Run Microsoft's upgrade advisor software. This identified a few
software packages that would not work well with Windows 7. I did not
care too much about these, so I uninstalled all of them.

2. Do my usual backup task.

3. Install a cheap SATA RAID controller card that is Windows 7 compatible.
With no drives connected to it, verify that it is working OK. I might
have installed software drivers at this time, I can't remember.

4. Connect my disk drives to the cheap controller card. My DVD drives
remain connected to the motherboard (Nvidia controller).

5. Do a full restore of all data onto disk drives. See step 2.

6. Boot up and verify that everything is still working. I am still in
Windows XP at this point.

7. Upgrade to Windows Vista, using the upgrade media that Dell provided
with the computer. Install Microsoft service pack. S.P. 1 (at a minimum)
is required for upgrade to Windows 7. I might have installed more
driver software for the new controller card at this time, I can't
remember.

8. Upgrade to Windows 7, using upgrade media that I bought retail.

9. Run Windows Update and watch, as 1.5 metric **** load of software
floods into my computer.

10. A few of my software packages stopped working because of licensing
issues. For example, Photoshop CS2. I had to call Adobe and ask for a
new license number. In the end, I got everything working.

I am doing OK with Windows 7 Professional now.
--
David Arnstein (00)
{{ }}
Old July 4th 10, 08:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mark Opolo

"David Arnstein" wrote in message
In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

I just installed a new drive....

Old July 5th 10, 07:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe M[_3_]

Installed Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit upgrade on the following...
Dimension 5150 desktop, 2gb ram, no issues
Optiplex GX620 tower, 1gb ram, no issues.
Inspiron 6000 laptop, 1.3 CeleronM, 1gb, required vendor driver for
touchpad.

Old August 1st 10, 08:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 07/01/10 22:52, Christopher Muto wrote:
i have successfully installed windows 7 on the following machines:
-latitude d505 laptop with 2gb ram, 40gb hard disk. display drive was
difficult to install. touchpad driver (only necessary if you want to
disable tap to click) is somewhat incompatible with windows 7 and so
must close error message each time windows 7 starts (but disabling tap
to click does work with this driver despite the nuisance message).
-dimension 2400 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 4700 desktop 1.5gb ram
-dimension 8300 desktop 1.5gb ram
-inspiron 531 desktop 2gb ram
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

Installed Win 7 Pro on an XPS410 (to make it compatible with my new
XPS9000). No problems with the install and the 410 ran great.

About to try Win7 Pro on my R61 Lenovo ThinkPad.
Old August 1st 10, 10:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

I've installed it successfully on:

Dimension E520 (32 & 64 bit
Optiplex 780 (64 bit pre-installed).

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

Old August 1st 10, 10:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and solutions?

Vostro 200, 4 GB RAM. No problems.

Tom Lake