Death of a HP Deskjet cartridge. Design or natural causes ?

Old June 18th 04, 08:27 AM
Alf

Default Death of a HP Deskjet cartridge. Design or natural causes ?

I'm having problems printing with an out of date HP Deskjet cartridge.
I's a hp C6578d (a.k.a.. "78")
Cyan just wont print.
New cartridges work OK in the same printer.

Any answers please *on these specific points* ?

1.Is the "Install By" date hardcoded into the cartridge ? In a chip ?
2. Does the PC keep a log of cartridges that I install ?
3. If so, is it in the registry, in a file ...?
4. If so, can the info be modified, deleted ? Worked around ?

I'm not into chemistry but I'm pretty doubtful that ink in a cartridge (in
an airtight bag, in a dark, cool, dry place) can switch itself from OK to
useless
over a 9 month period.

I can imagine that ink might deteriorate gradually in such a way as to be
slightly less perfect than some "industry standard" but for one colour in
the cartridge to just switch itself off
after a certain date seems to imply design rather than natural causes.

So, has anyone hard facts on that ?

TIA

Alf or Rosalie.

Old June 18th 04, 02:48 PM
Ron

Maybe the cartridge has dried out. I've had that happen with a cartridge
package that had not been opened.
--

Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield
Sometimes you're the bug

Old June 18th 04, 07:43 PM
Ron

"Alf" wrote in message
And what - if owt - can be done to resurrect a dried out cartridge ?

It's garbage. Nothing can be done except to replace it.

Old June 19th 04, 07:13 PM
Don

The HP cartridges have the printheads in the cartridge. It's likely that
the Cyan ejector is faulty. If all else fails, try *gently* using an
ordinary rubber eraser on the cartridge contacts. That's a mild abrasive
that will remove any film that might be preventing a good circuit, without
damaging the contact plating. But *don't* do that to the mating comtacts on
the printer. They are obviously OK if another cartridge works, and
freequent eraser treatment will eventually wear off the plating on the
contacts.

This procedure works sometimes, but usually the cause is a defective
ejector.

Don

"Alf" wrote in message
[...]

Testing HP DeskJet 870Cxi without color cartridge Bart Elffers Printers 2 January 12th 04 04:58 PM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
HP Deskjet 722C - Ink Cartridge Tray *Side To Side* Juna Kuristag Printers 2 August 20th 03 06:20 AM
HP 842C Deskjet printer color cartridge refill problem printerguy Printers 1 July 17th 03 04:07 PM