describe your home network setup

Old November 7th 11, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Trevor Smithson

Default describe your home network setup

So we get plenty of posts here about individual PCs and their components...how about we all desribe
what makes up our home networks. I'll start:

modem: DSL/uverse with integrated router/switch/AP, provided by AT&T. Works fine but doesn't have
802.11n.

switch: An SMC 10/100, has never needed a power cycle. Will need to upgrade to gigabit if I ever
start moving large files around.

Desktop: 2007-era Dell dual core, connected via Ethernet.

Laptop: 2010 Gateway, used mainly as an htpc. Connected via Ethernet.

Console: A 360, one of the slim ones. Ethernet connection.

Phone: Original iphone, still works well. Don't use it much at home anymore since I got the
tablet.

Tablet: HP Touchpad.

Printer: Samsung color laser, connected via Ethernet.
Old November 7th 11, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Trevor Smithson trevor_smithson yahoo.com wrote:

So we get plenty of posts here about individual PCs and their
components...how about we all desribe what makes up our home
networks.

A DSL wireless gateway and a mobile (pocket-sized) Hotspot. The
Hotspot is good for up to eight connected devices, and it can be
taken with me. The DSL is just less than 3 Mbps and the Hotspot is
about 5 Mbps when USB connected to the PC. Total cost is about $68
per month.
Old November 7th 11, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 8/11/2011 1:26 AM, Trevor Smithson wrote:
So we get plenty of posts here about individual PCs and their components...how about we all desribe
what makes up our home networks. I'll start:

snip

Here's my list of devices that make up my home network.

Motorola Cable Modem (Docsys 3)

Netgear WPN824 Wireless Router

Netgear MBR624GU Wireless Router + 3G Dongle (Dodo)

Netgear 8 port 10/100/1000 Switch

16 Port 10/100 Switch

APC Back-UPS Pro 420 UPS

3 x Netgear SC101t NAS Units (5TB total storage)

1 x Netgear SC101 NAS Unit (640GB total storage)

1 x SmartDrive NAS Unit (200GB total storage)

1 x PowerMac 2.3GHz DP PPC /4GB RAM/750GB HDD/WiFi/TV Tuner/BluRay

2 x iMac G3/1 GB RAM/20GB HDD/Airport

1 x PC Intel 945GTP/3GHz/4GB RAM/4TB Total HDD

1 x PC Intel 945GTP/3.4GHz/1GB RAM/2TB Total HDD

1 x PC Intel 965GLC/3.2GHz/2GB RAM/2TB Total HDD

1 x PC Gigabyte G33-DS2R/Q6600 CPU @ 2.4GHz/1.2 TB Total HDD

1 x Toshiba Qosmio 2.2GHz Core2Duo/2GB RAM/1 TB Total HDD

1 x Toshiba Satelite 2GHz Celeron/4GB RAM/320 GB HDD

Asus VH242H 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Asus 17' 4x3 LCD Monitor

4 x 1TB External USB HDD (Lacie)

1 x 1.5TB External USB HDD (WD)

1 x 1TB External USB HDD (WD)

Sundry Assorted sub 200GB USB/Firewire HDD both 2.5" & 3.5"

WD Live TV

1 x Aten CS-1734a KVM

2 x Aten CS-84U KVM

--

Krypsis
Old November 8th 11, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
The Seabat

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 06:53:30 +1100, Krypsis
wrote:

On 8/11/2011 1:26 AM, Trevor Smithson wrote:

Asus 17' 4x3 LCD Monitor

Wow! I'd like to see a photo of that 17 foot Asus monitor. You could
build a house around that! smile

--
The Seabat
Old November 9th 11, 05:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

wrote:

On 8/11/2011 1:26 AM, Trevor Smithson wrote:

Asus 17' 4x3 LCD Monitor

Wow! I'd like to see a photo of that 17 foot Asus monitor. You could
build a house around that!smile

So would I! ;-)

I don't think I'd have a wall large enough for it, especially the
height, even at 16x9. I guess I'd have to build a special home theatre.
Problem is, they would probably only make the resolution 1920x1080p.
That would make the pixel size a very considerable 2.5 mm. Need to be
viewing it from a long way back.

--

Krypsis